Found a Fix to Fuel Filter leaks '02-03 T1N

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
My OM612 '02 has had a fuel filter issue with leaks that I couldn't resolve for 6 months 'til now.
1.Tried new filters, still sucked air, yes I purged everytime, would run, but not next day every time, and stalled at worst times.

2.tried new O-rings, new temp valve, same leak
3.tied new fuel lines, still had a little air in fuel line after days of running, hard starts
4.tried different brands of filters, Hengst, WIX, Daimler C etc, all leaked, got frustrating
5. tried new drain valve screw, nope, new water sensor, nope

THE FIX I Installed a fuel filter design from Europe for European Sprinters without the water sensor on the bottom and no water drain valve. No Leaks, no air, no stalls, starts everytime !
I never saw a great engineering design in a fuel filter with 7 connections to possibly leak, it should have an in and an out. The fix has 5 connections that still could leak, but fixed my van
The filter is only available in North America on-line, mine came from eBay for $30.
Since my fuel filter has never had water in it when drained, and the WIF light never came on, I think I will be fine without a drain (LEAK) hole. The Top connections are a perfect fit.

Part Numbers :MB # 6110920201, or 6110920601, or 6110900852, or 6120920001,
Fram P9436
Mahle KL100/1 or /2
Bosch 0450905930
MANN WK842-13 OR -17
Hengst H70WK11 or H70WK18
WIX WF8239
Baldwin BF7756

Attachments

Last edited:

johnschroader

regular fellow
For what it's worth, I have installed two inline filters ahead of my factory filter ( a 10 micron and a 5 micron). Hopefully will not have to change the factory filter again. It does seem to me to be way harder than necessary. Still, it's better than the filter on my old 7.3 Powerstroke (E 350). Now THAT was a real pain.:yell:

surlyoldbill

Even with about a half dozen changes under my belt, sometimes I have to re-do the connections several times to get them to stop leaking. I've cobbed together multiple o-rings and rubber washers to make the crappy Hastings filters work, Hengst don't seem to be such a problem. The water sensor design on the OM612 motor fuel filters really sucks. This info that I can put one in that doesn't have that sensor hole in the bottom is great news. Now to figure out how to make the sensor think everything is fine...

sterling

'03 3500 T1N
My OM612 '02 has had a fuel filter issue with leaks that I couldn't resolve for 6 months 'til now.
1.Tried new filters, still sucked air, yes I purged everytime, would run, but not next day every time, and stalled at worst times.

2.tried new O-rings, new temp valve, same leak
3.tied new fuel lines, still had a little air in fuel line after days of running, hard starts
4.tried different brands of filters, Hengst, WIX, Daimler C etc, all leaked, got frustrating
5. tried new drain valve screw, nope, new water sensor, nope

THE FIX I Installed a fuel filter design from Europe for European Sprinters without the water sensor on the bottom and no water drain valve. No Leaks, no air, no stalls, starts everytime !
I never saw a great engineering design in a fuel filter with 7 connections to possibly leak, it should have an in and an out. The fix has 5 connections that still could leak, but fixed my van
The filter is only available in North America on-line, mine came from eBay for $30.
Since my fuel filter has never had water in it when drained, and the WIF light never came on, I think I will be fine without a drain (LEAK) hole. The Top connections are a perfect fit.

Part Numbers :MB # 6110920201, or 6110920601, or 6110900852, or 6120920001,
Fram P9436
Mahle KL100/1 or /2
Bosch 0450905930
MANN WK842-13 OR -17
Hengst H70WK11 or H70WK18
WIX WF8239
Baldwin BF7756

May I please ask how I can order one for my 2003 3500 T1N?

Oldfartt

Hi Nelson Sprinter,

The problem with the leaks that you have been having is probably because the wrong type of hose clamp is used as shown in your picture. They have a tendency to allow air to be sucked into the fuel line as they do not apply equal tension to the complete circumference of the hose pipe. It is for this reason that the original type of hose clamps should be used. They are called Cobra clamps, As shown in this link. http://normapacific.com/prod_hose_clamps_norma_cobra_one_piece_hose_clips.html
Irrigation suppliers usually have them in various sizes. They can also be reused... No need to use new ones each time you change the filter. I have seen Sprinters stuck on mountain passes which have had exactly this problem.

Cheers

Ross

NelsonSprinter

This info that I can put one in that doesn't have that sensor hole in the bottom is great news. Now to figure out how to make the sensor think everything is fine...
My sensor is still hooked up to the connection, and since no water is connecting the electrodes, it thinks everything is normal.

EBAY is only place that I have found them, but I'm sure an internet search will find Auto parts suppliers in Europe who will sell online and ship to you too.

Thanks for the tip 'oldfartt' but since it doesn't leak or such air I'll leave it alone for now.

talkinghorse43

So far the only issue I've had with my OEM filter setup is getting the connections apart and back together again. Everything is so tight (even the seals on the electrical connector) that I have to use WD40 to provide the necessary lubrication.

Dingo

May I add to this post please . I use the following for ALL fuel line fittings ... double ear O-clips , when you crimp them closed , they tighten equally all round the pipe
I have yet to have one leak wither under vacuum or under pressure . I use them on compressed air , oxygen & fuel gas pipework as well . They are way better than jubilee clips ( as we know them in the UK ) . They are a one use item , but come in mild or stainless steel so you can make your engine bay look nice & shiny if you wish .
The O clips have cured many leaking diesel fuel systems , just because they clamp equally all the way round . I have also found using them that you cannot overtighten them , thereby distorting the fitting & pipework , SO you eliminate any possible leaks , hope it helps

NelsonSprinter

the 6mm hose clamps I used have a curved interior surface, and the thick rubber hose would seal any leaks there with pressure applied

MikeHowe

2003 Sprinter 413 CDi
I was having the same problem with poor starting and air in fuel lines. I followed your advice and fitted the alternative fuel filter with no water in fuel sensor and bingo, the van starts well and no air bubbles:thumbup: Thanks so much for posting your fix, it has saved me untold bother.

toruhiwi

My 2000 model 313 doesn't have the water sensor......
These filters are readily available in Australia....... Ryco part # Z612

NelsonSprinter

ACDelco XD9042E , BALDWIN BF7756 , BOSCH 0450905930 , CHAMPION L257, Clean Filters #DN1904 , CoopersFiaam FILTERS FT5606 , DELPHI HDF556 , FILTRON PP841 / 1 , FLEETGUARD FF5619 , FRAM P9436 , HENGST FILTER H70WK11, H70WK18 , KNECHT KL100, KL100 / 1, KL100 / 2 , MAGNETI MARELLI 152071760674, 71760674 , MAHLE FILTER KL100, KL100 / 1, KL100 / 2 , MANN-FILTER WK842/13, WK842/17, MECAFILTER ELG5252 , MULLER FILTER FN100 , PBR AG6073 , PURFLUX CS484 , PUROLATOR F58280 , SOFIMA S4416NR ,m TECNOCAR RN213 , UFI 2441600 , UNICO FILTER FI912813 , UNIPART GFE5340 , WIX FILTERS WF8239

Original reference
MERCEDES-BENZ 6110900852, 6110920040, 6110920201, 6110920601, 6680920101, 6680920201

Last edited by a moderator:

Benw82

2003 T1N
hows the Baldwin working out? i'm about to buy two of them.
anyone else find any other brand in the US? i've been searching for the past hour with no luck...

galvinize

2003 Passenger Van, 160,000 miles

A not-quite tight-enough water drain fitting caused our Sprinter to conk out up in the hills past Santa Fe, NM. No amount of cranking would purge the air bubbles from the line, and we had to phone for help. So I'd be glad to get a filter without the water drain...

so is it safe to assume water in the fuel is not usually a problem these days?

Top Bottom