Battery Life

walkingbear

What is the typical battery life on a Sprinter?

Buying a new Sprinter but has been sitting on the lot for 18 months.
They turn it on once a week.. but a point brought up on another thread
pointed out that the battery could have loss some of it's useful life.

The dealer told me that there is a battery warranty and I should not be worried.
I pointed out to the salesmen that the battery is already two years old and
the 5 year warranty is now 3.

Dougflas

DAD OWNER

The dealer told me that there is a battery warranty and I should not be worried.
My van needed a new battery before 5 years.

glas1700

Not only is the battery two years old, but any full replacement warranty period has now changed to a prorated warranty that's essentially worthless.

In addition, if they've simply started the engine every week without letting it warm up completely or driving it, I'd be very leery of buying it.

Byron
07 Navion

icarus

Batteries that are left partially charged will die sooner! A vehicle that has sat on the lot for two years has a battery that is compromised,,enough to not make the deal? What's the cost of a new battery?

Icarus

Chandlerazman

My battery failed after less than a year of ownership. the van had been sitting for a year before I bought it. Needless to say, it mysteriously took out the ECU. It was all covered under warranty, but to this day, I worry about when the battery dies out the next time...

slsbl77

It seems that the easiest solution would be for them to install a new battery as part of the deal.....?

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
$200 battery is least of any potential issues...

As previously, but vaguely eluded to (Assuming this vehicle doesn't have a high-idle kit), if the vehicle was started every week but left to idle, I'd walk away from this purchase. These vans cannot nor should be left to idle for any periods of time, especial from a cold start, and if this was, then you will experience many issues in the future, such as sooted egr and sensors, plugged dpf. If you're lucky, then most issues will occur under warranty, and be remedied, but will still pose potential strandings, lost time and inconveniences.

Last edited:

MikeP

First, I know nothing...
Warranty, I always thought it started when you took delivery of vehical from dealer.
If you go by production time that would narrow it a great deal.

Battery, our 2003 had sat on lot for over a year. However, it had about 500 miles on it when we got it, so had been drove some.
Orginal battery was replaced in late 09. Had not had any problem with it. We have a Ricon Lift with 2 chair users in family and don't pre-crank vehical before loading, so must of been good battery. Current battery seems struggle some lately with low temps. Next visit will more than likely get it replaced if not before next trip to dealer, which is long drive.
Only think I know for sure is check all fluid levels and then drive it. Be sure to get to and maintain normal operating temp for a good long drive. Then park on clean level surface and let it cool til you can check all levels again. Move van and check for any leakage. Park over night and repeat over again. Be sure to check ground and make sure no leakage.
Good Luck!

Top Bottom