Does anyone have this interior heating/cooling issue?

neubath

So this the symptom, in the summer I almost always have to run the air conditioning, reason being when the the air conditioning is off, and I am letting ambient air through the dash vents (not top vents, I realize those are fresh air) I talking the vents that are across the dash, even if I have the vent temp tuned to cold (air off) fairly warm air comes through the vents. Even if its like 65-75f outside I get heated air. And in winter, if I have the temp turned to warm, I get great hot air, EXCEPT when I let the van go to idle, then it turns cold, however if I rev up the engine, then the hot air comes back. I'm wondering to I have a thermostat issue? Or could it be a vacuum thing? Not really knowing how this whole heat/air system works I can only guess.

I have noticed when i start my van, I hear a hissing sound, but I can figure if that's just a normal sound, there seems to be an awful lot of plumbing on this motor...can anyone share an opinion?:rad:

cahaak

During the summer, you have to have the temp control turned all or most of the way to cold or you will in fact get heating of the air from the engine. It might be best to just use the top fresh air vents and turn off the fan for the dash vents. In the winter, if it is cold, then at idle the van's engine does not produce much heat and you will find that the coolant temp, and hence the air output temp may drop. This is when you want to engage the Espar coolant heater (if your van has one - probably does) by pressing the center bar of the AC switch. The Aux Espar diesel fired coolant heater will come on and bring the coolant temp back up. This is explained in more detail in the manual.

If you can't solve the warm air issue in the summer, the valve or control to the valve allowing coolant flow to the heater core may need addressing.

Chris

d_bertko

On my 02 I too have been struck by how low the ambient temp can be where I still need to turn on some ac.

Same general restrictions of heater off completely.

Just figured incoming ambient air is capturing a little engine heat somehow in its path to the dash vents.

I have no stock Espar---I was under the impression that the diesel at low revs doesn't have much waste heat available. Warms on the highway after a long enough time.

Using the block heater certainly provides warmed air earlier as well as easier starts.

I haven't had to use my Airtronic furnace in the back on the road but could figure out some use if I needed it.

talkinghorse43

So this the symptom, in the summer I almost always have to run the air conditioning, reason being when the the air conditioning is off, and I am letting ambient air through the dash vents (not top vents, I realize those are fresh air) I talking the vents that are across the dash, even if I have the vent temp tuned to cold (air off) fairly warm air comes through the vents. Even if its like 65-75f outside I get heated air. And in winter, if I have the temp turned to warm, I get great hot air, EXCEPT when I let the van go to idle, then it turns cold, however if I rev up the engine, then the hot air comes back. I'm wondering to I have a thermostat issue? Or could it be a vacuum thing? Not really knowing how this whole heat/air system works I can only guess.

I have noticed when i start my van, I hear a hissing sound, but I can figure if that's just a normal sound, there seems to be an awful lot of plumbing on this motor...can anyone share an opinion?:rad:
Sounds like your ATC or heater solenoid aren't working as they should. Also, your electric coolant circulating pump is apparently not working (no heat at idle). Mine doesn't do what you describe. When I turn my temperature setting to the 6 o'clock position, the heat turns off, winter or summer. Plus, I do not lose heat at idle

Top Bottom