Mobile Synthetic 0W 40

al albanowski

Cry Baby Al
Beginning back in 2006 I started using 0 w40 mobile in 5 quart containers. This week I visited six WallMart stores and two O'Rilleys without success.Have they stopped making making this Chaves Regal priced product?
Al

sailquik

Hi Al,
Are you sure you were getting Mobil 1 0w-40 EUROPEAN CAR FORMULA that meets
MB BEVO 229.5 specification?
I've never seen the Euro Car Formula in anything other than 1 quart plastic bottles.
Mobil 1 0w-40 comes in several different formulas, but the correct formula for T1N
(OM-612 & OM-647 engines) (2002-206 5 2.7 liter 5 cylinder engines) is the European
Car Formula which tends to be a little hard to find, and I've never seen it at WalMart.
Roger

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
0w-40 Mb sheet 229.5 Mobil has it in the States the bottle is white with green labeling it's not quite the same spec as Mobil 1 Super Syn Euro .
This oil is for 40 thousand kilometer extended oil oil changes. It ticks all the boxes.
Richard
DSC01652 (Custom).JPG

fluids 002 (Custom) copy.jpg

d_bertko

It was my experience that only the Super Walmarts carried the Mobil 1 0w-40 EUROPEAN CAR FORMULA oil and I've only seen it in quarts there.

I'll have to see if my bottle of Chivas Regal meets the MB specs. Certainly looks about the same color:smirk:

talkinghorse43

I bought some a couple weeks ago when our trip ran longer than planned and we were caught out on the road when ASSYST ran down to zero (have >100 qts in my stash at home:bash:). Anyway, not all Wallmarts carry it, so I got on the web and was able to find the nearest Walmart with available stock using their website.

bc339

I contacted Mobil USA a few months back and asked if 0W-40 European Car Formula was offered in the 5 qt jug.

Simple reply - "No, only in quarts."

I guess demand is not high enough for a 5 qt jug in the US.

Bruce

sailquik

I did a little follow up on Mobil 1 0w-40 European Car Formula oil suitable for the 5 cylinder
T1N Sprinters with the OM-612 (02-03) and OM-647 (04-06) engines.
The Mobil Product Number is 96989 and it's only available in quarts in the USA.
Mobil has once again changed the labeling on the silver plastic bottle.
It used to have the "European Car Formula" logo in a green back ground, but now it simply
says "European Can Formula" in black just below the Mobil 1 Logo.
This product carries MB BEVO Approvals 229.3 and 229.5.
Itg is not suitable or recommended for 07 and later 3.0 V6 Sprinters with DPF!
The later Sprinters require the low ash Mobil 1 5w-40 oil meeting MB BEVO 229.51.
The Product code and description for the Low Ash oil is:
Mobil 1 98HT81 Emission System Protection Formula M 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil
Roger

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

The later Sprinters require the low ash Mobil 1 5w-40 oil meeting MB BEVO 229.51.
But, according to MB's sheet 223.2 in BeVo, ANY oils approved by them under ANY of the specs 228.51, 229.31, or 229.51 are OK to use for "VAN engines (Vito, Sprinter): OM 642, 646, 651 in vehicles with particulate filter (DPF)". So, why are you so restrictive?

Last edited:

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
...... So, why are you so restrictive?
For the sake of simplicity in a subject that never seems to go away.

Yes, 228.51 and 229.31 oils are acceptable....good luck finding them in the US/Canada.

People see that 228.51 and think they have found oil that when they look closer at the label is actually 228.31, which is quite common, but not approved. It happens. People think all the Mobil 0W40's are the same so they are all OK for the old 5cyl Sprinters...they are certainly not. Yet even in this thread we see someone who saw "mobile 0W40" at Wal-Mart and thought it was OK. We need to hammer home that the proper MB number must be on the bottle.

Also, of all the approved oils, 229.51 is the best performing oil....so to improve the Sprinter ownership experience, and bring simplicity to yet another oil thread, it is the defacto recommendation.

This is the 8 millionth engine oil thread....obviously the message has not been repeated enough.:2cents:

If you have a 2007 and up V6 diesel Sprinter you should use MB229.51 oil. Yes..2 others are approved but 229.51 is best.

If you have the older 5 cyl engine you can use other oils that meet the spec outlined in your owners manual.

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

Simplicity (and a good way to eliminate oil threads) is to go to BeVo 223.2 to see the latest MB recommendation for your engine and then to the recommended spec sheets in BeVo to find approved oils available to you. That way, individual opinion is taken out of the equation.

Simplicity (and a good way to eliminate oil threads) is to go to BeVo 223.2 to see the latest MB recommendation for your engine and then to the recommended spec sheets in BeVo to find approved oils available to you.
Very rational suggestion.

That way, individual opinion is taken out of the equation.
Not a rational expectation when applied to oil discussions or a forum. :cheers: vic

stacey13

I did a little follow up on Mobil 1 0w-40 European Car Formula oil suitable for the 5 cylinder
T1N Sprinters with the OM-612 (02-03) and OM-647 (04-06) engines.
The Mobil Product Number is 96989 and it's only available in quarts in the USA.
Mobil has once again changed the labeling on the silver plastic bottle.
It used to have the "European Car Formula" logo in a green back ground, but now it simply
says "European Can Formula" in black just below the Mobil 1 Logo.
This product carries MB BEVO Approvals 229.3 and 229.5.
Itg is not suitable or recommended for 07 and later 3.0 V6 Sprinters with DPF!
The Product code and description for the Low Ash oil is:
Mobil 1 98HT81 Emission System Protection Formula M 5W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil
Roger
I am on O'reilly Auto Parts web site now and they have the European car formula 0W40 available in 5 Qt jug

sailquik

stacey13,
OK, I stand corrected on the "only available in 1 quart silver plastic bottles".

Before I would add the 5.1 quart oil to my '02-'06 Sprinter, I would look
for the Mercedes Benz BEVO Operating Fluids Approval # 229.5 on the
back of the bottle.

It does say European Car Formula on the front, but O'Reilly's does not
show the label on the backside of the container where the approval number
would show up.
Roger

stacey13,
OK, I stand corrected on the "only available in 1 quart silver plastic bottles".

Before I would add the 5.1 quart oil to my '02-'06 Sprinter, I would look
for the Mercedes Benz BEVO Operating Fluids Approval # 229.5 on the
back of the bottle.

It does say European Car Formula on the front, but O'Reilly's does not
show the label on the backside of the container where the approval number
would show up.
Roger
FWIW. Before they thought of using the "European Car Formula" advertising slogan the Mobil 1 0w-40 Supersyn formula was what Merc recommended for the T1N engines.

By my math the 5.1 quart container knocks it down by about $0.80 per quart. Not bad for regular non-sale pricing. There are no O'Reilly's in our part of the country. I see there is one here:

O'Reilly Auto Parts
943 Bells Hwy - Walterboro, SC
(843) 549-3270

About 1 mile off I-95. (Early morning with our typical heading to Florida trip schedule.)

Mobil 1 0w-40 in 5 quart jugs ($39.99)
According to the O'Reilly web site the jug is not in stock at that store. You can call ahead for pickup at the store though. Says 24 hr lead time? I'd call to verify timing.

vic

P.S. - If you try to do a search for Mobil 1 oil, don't get sucked into using the spelling in the thread heading as I did (copy/paste). You'll get no hits on the O'Reilly site using that.

Last edited:

Top Bottom