iPad + Sprinter

atulin

Anyone using thier iPad in place of a traditional Radio?
It's down on my list of projects, but I've been trying to decided between installing a 10.1 android table or a touch screen windows computer in place of my current Sound 5. I have the steering wheel controls so relocating the radio to an area I can't reach wouldn't be a problem. I would just use the AUX in.

I think a tablet is a great solution but I'll probably end up doing a windows machine with a 10 or 12in touchscreen. My goals are probably different than most people but here are the pros and cons to me.

Tablet:
Pros: Price, interface is made for touch control, low power use, one unit/works out of the box
Cons: Clearance for the docking cable (I looked at it with an iPad and it seems like it would be too wide with a dock), offline gps limitations

Windows computer:
Pros: 12in screen would be awesome (if I can make it fit), screen can double as solo or second backup camera screen, offline gps though MS streets and trips (I can import and save lists of addresses), network file syncing, remote desktop control, can run any application or hardware
Cons: Price, touch interface in windows 7 (I have played a little with windows 8 and it could have potential), why not just use a laptop on a stand...

cedarsanctum

re: Member
This app he's using is the same one i use with the iPhone, it's called Rev, by Devtoaster.
I do listen to music exclusively with iPhones or iPods or computers, haven't used the radio more than 5 minutes total. Used the 6 disc changer once, and the single disc player twice. If i had to buy a system for a new car, i would just go with a connection to a power amp and skip the radio and players.
Jef

wildimaginations

Wild Imaginations
This is so cool. I'm sure someone is trying to mount their iPad into their Sprinter at this very moment. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

BillWV

Schloss auf Rädern
Cambinos is doing it. My design has the iPad in a frame that recesses flush into the dash, similar to the Fishman’s design:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TaVigs8Who .

I've got my dash apart, iPad frame built, linear actuator on the bench and some texturing spray ordered. The real challenge at this point is where to put the AC controls; they need to move down a little, or the frame will need some fiberglass build up above. I’ll document it on my DIY thread.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
You can remove the plastic pocket below the radio. A plywood support plate can be mounted in the opening with a 1/2" dia. vertical post outside the dash. A plastic bracket can be bought that is used to mount photocells on a packaging line. Solus part # 33616 for $11.25. The bracket allows computer to rotate toward or away from driver and tilt up or down. Another rube goldberg approach but it will work. I will probably buy a Toshiba Thrive. You can buy an extra removable back for $20.00. Drill a couple of holes through back to mount to plastic plate.

Attachments

Last edited:

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
What about a backup camera?
Funny, I was thinking of mounting my droid right in front of the radio hole. A mini pad.

Top Bottom