locked keys in van/slim jim

sprintersteve

i am on vacation at fripp island, sc, needless to say i don't know the locals. One of my children has locked my keys in the car.:bash: I would love to able to use a slim jim, i tried, just can't seem to make it work. Any help would be great.:bounce:

Amboman

Its easy to lock your keys in especially if you manually push the central locking by hand
with the keys still in the ignition and exit the vehicle for this reason i spent $8 on a flat key
which will unlock the vehicle but wont start the vehicle and put it in my wallet...

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Golden Rule: always have a spare on the outside of the vehicle.

There are loads of places to hide one underneath, just put it inside a miniature plastic food type container or similar to keep it dry and self tap it to the chassis somewhere. Doesn't need to be a full key, just a flat one cut for access as previously described. If so keep another full key inside.

jzf0fk

hi Amboman

what is a flat key? I checked ebay and see a bunch of keys but i don't recognize any of them would fit the sprinter. would you be so kind to post a link of an auction for this type of key. thx...

Richard

glas1700

You can buy a key from a local locksmith and have him cut it to match your existing key. It will only open the doors manually, but if you keep it hidden outside, it's all you need to get in. Next step up is a transponder key that will open the doors manually and run the engine, but not many locksmiths have the equipment to program the key.

Byron
07 Navion

hi Amboman

what is a flat key? I checked ebay and see a bunch of keys but i don't recognize any of them would fit the sprinter. would you be so kind to post a link of an auction for this type of key. thx...

Richard

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
You can buy a key from a local locksmith and have him cut it to match your existing key. It will only open the doors manually, <snip>
Byron
07 Navion
I opened my door with the key (on the fob) once. The alarm went off. Not thinking much past, "make the noise stop," I hit the unlock button and that shut off the noise.

525rider

Golden Rule: always have a spare on the outside of the vehicle.

There are loads of places to hide one underneath, just put it inside a miniature plastic food type container or similar to keep it dry and self tap it to the chassis somewhere. Doesn't need to be a full key, just a flat one cut for access as previously described. If so keep another full key inside.
Wouldn't a full key (with the chip) hidden somewhere in or on the vehicle let anyone to start the engine?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Wouldn't a full key (with the chip) hidden somewhere in or on the vehicle let anyone to start the engine?
Yes, but:
(a) they'd have to think there was one
(b) then they'd have to spend time *looking* for it
(c) and they'd have to find it

Rule 1 for car theft is "get in and out quickly" (see (b) above)
Rule 1 for key-hiding is: make it as impossible to find as you can (but still accessible without tools)
(example: T1N passenger Sprinters have flip-down ashtrays mounted in the walls of the cargo area.
A key taped to the back of the (removable for emptying) ashtray might work (but would be found by car-wash detailers).
A key taped on the back of the wall paneling *above* the ash tray access hole would probably be quite safe.)

--dick

dodger413

Re: locked keys in van

i locked my key inside. was camping in some canyon outside yellowstone. nothing within miles, no phone reception (phone was in van anyway).

tried breaking the smallest window, the non venting vent window. first with my buck knife, then with a large stone. both bounced off the window like bullets off of superman.

took the buck knife and made slits in the gasket holding the vent window. took about four slits, pretty much one at each corner of the window. pried the glass out, reached thru and unlocked the door. soaped the gasket and glass and re-inserted the window.

it's been 6k miles and no leakage. hardly a sign that there is any cuts in the rubber gasket.

sure was a relief, being 3k miles from home and wanting to enjoy Sturgis bike week.

(now if the keys get locked in again......just pry that window out and re-insert.)

Top Bottom