Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
MillionMileSprinter
Formerly Type2Teach

Thanked 1,230 Times in 706 Posts
Default Window Regulator Fix

Don't know if this also works on the newer Sprinters, but I've got an '02. YMMV

Symptom- driver's side window kept falling down. Motor ran fine, but didn't affect the window moving up or down. So I searched the forum and found a cheap fix with some plastic closet wheels. I went looking at Home Depot for the wheels, and I'm so glad that the poster mentioned that the wheels were 5/8". All I could find were 7/8" wheels and another plastic slider piece that I bought on a whim. Good thing I did. The wheels were too big.
The rectangular plastic piece turned out to be perfect. I clamped down a rough file in my vice and used it to file down the piece to match the size of the broken plastic piece from the window.
Then I took the threaded rectangle and used my grinder to grind that down to the right size, too. I wanted it recessed, so I threaded a screw into it, held the screw with some pliers and used a torch to heat up the threaded piece. Then I pressed it into the plastic piece. VIOLA! I was very happy with the results.
I found another screw that was long enough and some tiny washers that worked and within an hour, the window was working again!
Enjoy the pics. The first two are of the modified piece next to the original. The next two show the recessed threaded square next to the original. The last is of the original, the modified and the broken MB piece from the window.
Enjoy.
Joel in Philly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0071.JPG (87.4 KB, 1139 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0072.JPG (122.4 KB, 991 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0073.JPG (131.5 KB, 939 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0074.JPG (107.7 KB, 897 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0075.JPG (140.2 KB, 926 views)
MillionMileSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MillionMileSprinter For This Useful Post:
alan_f (08-09-2015), Hit The Road Jack (09-16-2011), johnschroader (02-23-2011), ko4nrbs (02-24-2011), mackconsult (02-23-2011), maxextz (03-24-2011), mendonsy (02-24-2011), Schneider (09-28-2013), slaughter7 (06-25-2012), Turbo John (05-21-2017), wakin@pacbell.net (03-20-2011), Zeb (07-08-2016)
Old 02-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
johnschroader
regular fellow

Default Re: Another window regulator fix with pics

Good technique. I recently used the shower curtain roller to repair mine - as advised on this forum. Works great. But I had considered a setup much like what you did. Glad to see that it works well. That was going to be my first line of defense if the roller didn't work.
johnschroader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnschroader For This Useful Post:
mackconsult (02-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
jbarnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnschroader View Post
Good technique. I recently used the shower curtain roller to repair mine - as advised on this forum. Works great. But I had considered a setup much like what you did. Glad to see that it works well. That was going to be my first line of defense if the roller didn't work.
What I did was using a shower and tub curtain 3/4 inch roller.I ground to fit the rail and .Ground off the pin from the arm and push the pin out and now I have 3/8 hole in the arm .Then I use a 8-32 screw and a washer and works like charm
jbarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Hit The Road Jack
2006 Roadhouse Sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnut View Post
What I did was using a shower and tub curtain 3/4 inch roller.I ground to fit the rail and .Ground off the pin from the arm and push the pin out and now I have 3/8 hole in the arm .Then I use a 8-32 screw and a washer and works like charm
Very creative jbarnut !

As a 2006 Sprinter owner, I'll choose to order my defective Window Regulator from http://www.partstrain.com/store/inde...ow%20Regulator
thelink (08-26-2012)
Old 10-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Hit The Road Jack
2006 Roadhouse Sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit The Road Jack View Post
Very creative jbarnut !

As a 2006 Sprinter owner, I'll choose to order my defective Window Regulator from http://www.partstrain.com/store/inde...ow%20Regulator

***Warning*** The Window Regulator plastic parts I ordered from 'Partstrain' for my 2006 Sprinter were way too large to fit into the track !

I ended up using a similar sized to the original half-round Carriage bolt & washer for the fix...IMHO metal is far better for this situation, works terrific ;)
SondraRose (10-15-2017)
Old 08-25-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
George Carter

Default Re: Window Regulator Fix

With information from this page I was able to repair my regulator. I used rollers I purchased from Lowe's that are for a closet door. It's only been installed a couple days, but it's working. Cost $4 for rollers, $10 for tap, and correct drill bit for tap. Hope it holds, $14 beats $230 for new regulator. Not really that difficult. Good Luck!
See my attachment for directions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sprinter Window Regulator2.pdf (337.1 KB, 556 views)
George Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George Carter For This Useful Post:
brassarl (12-10-2015)
Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
autocamp
un-bastardized NAFTA JC

Hi all,

I am writing this post entertaining a different repair approach.

While returning from camping, my driver side widow succumbed to this same failure. It was a royal pain on the ass to drive 60 miles home at highway speed with the window wide open. Fortunately the ambient temperature was at least comfortable.

The plastic slider broken into two. I read the few threads on this forum of how most fabricated the replacement slider out of closet wheel and slider. I have not ruled out going this route, but I revisited the more costly alternatives, including finding out the cost of the replacement regulator. As most T1N owners I have power window.

The entire replacement regulator for the driver side is 05104345aa (vs 05104343aa for the manual window). Referring to the 04 parts manual the diagram for both parts share the same depiction. Yet the price for power window 05104345aa costs about $200 while the one for manual window 05104343aa costs about $30. Without a reliable pictures of the two parts I am wondering if the huge cost difference is the inclusion of the electric motor on the former.

Doing a bit more web search I found this ebay seller selling the power window one for $159.97. The picture shows the including of the motor. This seems a reliable clue of the substantial price difference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en

Examining my regulator in the door I see the lift arm is rivetted to the gear plate with two rivets. I am wondering if the arm on the manual regulator can be drilled out and bolted/rivetted to the powered version.

Reason would have it that they are likely a common part between the two versions. For ~$40 I would prefer to stick with the factory slider. I worry about home made one standing up to extreme cold weather.
autocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
autocamp
un-bastardized NAFTA JC

My hunch seems to be paying off. I went an picked up the manual window regulator today from from local dealer. Instead of over $200 for the powered version it comes to $42.60 list.

At the counter I immediately examine the construction. As I suspected the actuation arm look identical to the one on the powered window that has the broken plastic slider! The arm rivetted to the gear plate with 2 rivet which was what I plan to drill out and swap the arm to the stock assembly. So far so good.

There is a surprise. The manual regulator does not come with a plastic slider! I rummaged thru the package and cannot find a loose piece. I thought to myself I just wasted $42.60. Well, it was a risk I factored into my decision to order the part.

Than I thought what if the manual one, due to much lower stress, does not have the plastic slider? I didn't take careful stock of the mushroom rivet where the plastic slider fastened to, but the one on the new manual regulator looks a bit larger. I decide to take it home and see.

Sure enough the mushroom rivet on the manual regulator fits right into the sliding channel. It is designed to work without the plastic slider. The actuation arm that is rivetted to the gear plate is identical to the old one.

I am wondering if the new regulator for the power window also now omits the failure-prone plastic slider.

It is too hot to work on it right now so I defer to sunset today to do the installation. Stay tuned.

Brunnhilde - 2005 westfalia nafta james cook built on 2004 t1n
Isolde - 1989 vanagon westfalia camper GL

- vince
Old 09-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #9
autocamp
un-bastardized NAFTA JC

I started the transplant of the actuation arm this afternoon. Here is the step by step progress on my blog.

http://eat-drink-men-women.blogspot....er-window.html

It is looking good so far.

Brunnhilde - 2005 westfalia nafta james cook built on 2004 t1n
Isolde - 1989 vanagon westfalia camper GL

- vince
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autocamp For This Useful Post:
brassarl (12-10-2015), sail-do (12-19-2014)
Old 10-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #10
L8RSK8R
2006 2.7 Mercedes 2500

I scrambled to 'fix" my window slider today. Found a $2.50 poker chip, cut it to fit the rail on window. Cut out a U shaped notch in the poker chip, to engage the actuator pin. In order to engage the slider pin, and get the chip into the window rail, I removed the actuator assembly and moved it slightly , so the chip could slide into the rail.
Added a good amount of grease to the rail, and it's working like a charm.....for now.
sail-do (12-19-2014)