Switching mirrors on '04???

t iCe

I am a new Sprinter owner, well owner of an '04, but new to me and also brand new to Sprinter-Forum. I really like my van, but it is in need of a few changes. One very important change is the mirrors. I have spent hours reading the threads about mirrors, but can't find the answer to my question.

On the '04 I have is has the plastic arm mirror which allows for very little adjustments. I am looking to see if I can replace the plastic arm mirror with the short metal mirrors using the same flag bracket and hardware on the van. From what I have read, these mirrors have many more options for positioning which is what I need.

Does anyone have any good advice on if I can switch these mirrors out?

Does anyone know where I can get short metal arm mirrors? Used would be great.

Does anyone have an extra set of piggyback mirrors?

Thanks for any help, I am knew to this community and appriciate all the great reading.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Tin: Side mirrors have three manual arm adjustments from the out side of the van.
Inside You have electric command for full width adjustment of mirror up wards plus downwards,and side ways left to right.
The mirrors are heated .
Piggy back wide angle mirrors are a pain to fit to a standard Plastic mirror frame as they are not pre drilled, take time to work out position.
Both of mine were busted from Metro buses.:censored:
and I did not realize the difference of the two frames as to being pre drilled at the time.
Fitting the actual mirror to the internal wide angle spot frame! Warning there are two plastic fitting profiles for the mirror base ...MB changed the design but the part number is the same one fits and snaps easily the original is almost impossible to fit.
I broke two of twice on the plastic tabs for pressing the mirror into the lock position.:bash:
MB accepted they were virtually imposable to fit into the base profile of the replacement frame, and replaced with the revised MB mirror fitting.
There is a repair tab kit in the UK, for these pesky fittings.
Richard
It took a whole month to sort it out
Not the dealers fault, but a design fitting fault.
:rant:
DSC00974 (Custom).JPG

sailquik

Hi T iCe,
You have the stock plastic mirrors with the upper flat mirror and lower convex mirror, right?
If so, the whole mirror assembly can pivot front to back to get the entire assembly where
you need it, there are several "detent" positions a little forward and a little back.
Then you set the individual mirrors to give the best rear coverage on the flat
upper mirror and the best close in beside the van coverage on the lowe convex mirror.
I think your mirrors also fold in flat if you pull the whole arm to the front or the back.
Then just set them back in the detent.
Not sure of the exact configuration on an '04 Sprinter, but I had the above config. on
my '06 T1N Sprinter.
If you have some other setup, perhaps look for the mirrors off an '06.
The stock mirrors are not real good for towing a trailer (too close in to the body to give
much coverage close in behind a 20-25 foot trailer).
Hope this helps,

t iCe

I am aware that I can mount the parabolic mirrors to the plastic arm mirrors I currently have (the mirrors do not have the lower convex mirror, just one large flat mirror with a small golf ball sized stick on round mirror that does no good, but a lot of harm on my viewing). My mirrors also are non electric, all manual. I am confident I could mount these parabolic mirrors, but the issue is these plastic arm mirrors i have just don't give much viewing since they are close into the truck. The short arm metal frame mirrors sit out from the truck a little farther and have more adjustments. I have found these mirrors from a Dodge dealer which are OEM parts and run almost $500 for the pair. If I buy them I cannot return them so i wanted to make sure they will work. Dodge can't tell me either way. Thought someone here might know. Or hope someone can give me advice on this.

Maybe its not worth getting these mirrors, however I know crashing into someone is not a better option. I do realize there are different positions that my current mirrors can be set at, but none helps, especially the passenger side with the small fish eye stick on mirror that just seems to block the mirror over helping.

I am hoping that I can come up with a solution soon, so any further help would be amazing. I can send photos of my set up if it helps out anyone give me advice.

rbrennick

I'm pretty sure that I have a spare set of manual mirrors that you are looking for.
I'll take a look tomorrow and report back.
Shoot me an email at brennick@net-port.com to communicate when you get a moment.
Thanks, Rich

t iCe

Thanks, I have looked at all those posts, but are not quite relative to what I need. Unless I missed something.

Top Bottom