Battery/charging/starter cables

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
FWIW Almost 2 years ago, I removed the offending cable from my 2007 NCV3, soldered (propane torch) all crimped connections with copious amounts of flux and reinstalled. No problems ever since.
I considered that but since there was also insulation damage and the new (and upgraded in comparison to the original) OEM part was under 70 bucks from online vendors I figured it was easier and more reliable to just replace it. But if it was the more typical $300 overpriced part then out would have come the propane torch... :smilewink:

Last edited:

Vanman2004b

My cable is bad also. One volt drop from the alternator to the battery. The Dodge dealer quoted $550 to replace it. Amazon has the cable for $73.

Do you remove the alternator to disconnect the cable? I dropped the alternator to remove the cable when I replaced the alternator a year ago. It does not look like a terrible job if I do not need to drop the alternator. It looks like the starter connection will be relatively easy.

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
My cable is bad also. One volt drop from the alternator to the battery. The Dodge dealer quoted $550 to replace it. Amazon has the cable for $73.

Do you remove the alternator to disconnect the cable? I dropped the alternator to remove the cable when I replaced the alternator a year ago. It does not look like a terrible job if I do not need to drop the alternator. It looks like the starter connection will be relatively easy.
The alternator does not need to be 'dropped'. The Y-Cable can be replaced with the alternator in place.

Vanman2004b

Got home Friday and changed the cable today. One hour fifteen minutes in my driveway with 30 mph winds. Not as difficult as I thought it would be and nowhere near the job the dealer made it out to be. First time I have seen over 14 volts on the scan gauge in a very long time.

Frank Mc

I think I really screwed up ! I had a guy braze my cable joints and I put it back on. When I hooked up the ground cable I heard this motor start up . Turns out it was the starter motor so while I'm taking off the starter cable I hear this pop and the lug at the cable comes off so this means new starter motor but it looks like the starter can only be taken off by splitting the bell houseing from the motor . PS. Am I right about having to separate bell housing from motor ? And is this a big job?? Thanks, Frank

showkey

The starter just unbolts from the bell housing with two bolts. Twenty minute job the first time 10 minute every time there after. Helps up to jack the left side a couple of inches.

Last edited:

Top Bottom