WARNING: Upgrade Coming!

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I just don't know when. You tell me when is the best time to shut this place down to do an upgrade.

I've been holding off on upgrades until newer versions are steady, and I think we can go to 3.8 or even 4.0. We're now at 3.6.8.

What this means...

1. Forum will be turned off. How long? Don't know as the database gets backed up, attachments are backed up, and the software is upgraded.

2. Some features might be lost. Can all the features be restored? Hopefully, but very unlikely.

3. 3.8 will have the look and feel of 3.6.8. 4.0 will not. Debating whether we should go all the way to the top of just half way. Either way it will be brutal.

Comments?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Nothing really. Seriously.

Well, except for Tapatalk, which requires 3.7+. I don't use it, but a user has requested it.

The other thing is when Hosts start to migrate to higher numbered PHP and MySQL Database versions, then we really have no choice but to upgrade vBulletin to combat that. I think we are safe for years to come, but it's an inevitable something that will wreak havoc to users now or later. This is probably the biggest reason why we have not upgraded for so long. They kept changing it with security patches that on occasions gave me more work than I wanted to do (which means shutting down the forum).

3.8 is stable with no new releases. 4.0 is another story.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Well take the punt and lose some valuable data! Maybe.Or sell it, to the highest bidder. I doubt if any would deny, you have not ever done a top notch job . keeping the forum going, day in, day out, month in, month out, year after year ,after decades, after centuries.:bow:But I think you really need some hourly consulting with a quack.:thumbup:When was the last time you spent quality time, with your wife and kids.

Cheers Richard.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
one user has requested Tapatalk
For the curious (as i was):
Tapatalk is a forum app on the iPhone, Android, BlackBerry (free) and Nokia (free).
Tapatalk supports vBulletin, IPBoard, phpBB and SMF.
If you have a guess as to what features may be lost (or delayed in re-implemenation), please cite (at least some of) them?
Perhaps a poll?
After decades of chasing fragmented Linux/tool upgrades, i'm a stick-with-what-works-until-forced kind'a guy.
(and even then, there's usually an old server in the back room which no one will notice i've repurposed to "legacy" duties...)

I agree with what (i think) Richard said (removing the double negatives and Taz-isms): you have done a top notch job

good luck
--dick

psalm66

Would it be too complicated to publish a beta of the new version? Perhaps one that is navigable but not tied into the "live" database. Accessible via https://sprinter-source.com/beta or similar?

I've seen several Sprinter blogs and most of them are unfriendly in either trying to navigate or search for information. This web site and it's contributors are the best of the lot.

Generally I'm in favor of upgrades but they can mean a lot of work for the man in charge. I made the transition from Frontpage to Expression Web 3 in the web site building world. It was a very challenging change and I'm still operating in Limp Home mode!

I greatly appreciate the effort to run this site. It has been formative in my going ahead in getting a Sprinter. My new 2010 is finally in after 5 months :thumbup: and conversion is next.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
+1 on the excellent administration of this environment and keeping the (virtual) denizens from blemishing the value of the service, the community.

As someone that formerly got paid to upgrade high-tech IT Infrastructure customer gear, I want to say that running ancient, but functional implementations, only delays the inevitable upgrade. You can delay until your system is no longer actively bug-fixed; then you're looking at a migration to an entirely different platform.

The longer you stay on older technology, the more painful it is to upfit to "modern," the more challenging it is for users to "get used to the new look and feel" and - in some cases - the more you risk not being able to drag all your data forward.

You gotta do what works for you.

I'm a big fan of "if it's not broken, don't mess with it."

"Don't fix a working system," is relevant to the forum, but I also believe the "don't fix a working system" is subject to diminishing returns over time.

"Not broken, don't fix" applies more to durable goods like cars, and household appliances than (software) network applications.

My $0.02

-Jon

Last edited:
Sikwan,
Thank you for your care in administrating this forum. :thumbup:

It's been an invaluable aid in buying, and now maintaining my 02 T1N Sprinter.
I'm actually still fighting a few of the previous owner's DYI wiring bugs, and making slow but great progress.
Also just completed my 1st trans fluid change complete with Doktor A's DARF kit mod :clapping:
and have been photo documenting all that I find for future posting.

Over on the VIBEs board we're at vBulletin 3.7.4 Patch Level 1, and the latest version available is listed as: 3.8.6 Patch Level 1.
We're staying on at the slightly dulled, but still cutting edge... and not the leading bleeding edge for now.

I'll be very interested in seeing any changes and or improvements that come to this forum.

jim

Diamondsea

Why not wait until the 4.0 is proven and then go directly with that? If we are going to have a messy situation either way perhaps waiting for 4.0 will mean that we can go a longer time before a following upgrade. Obviously it's your decision as you are THE MAN!

Just figured I'd throw in a post to thank Seek also. You've done are doing a great job.

Sikwan,
Go the direction you feel the most comfortable with. You're the one that will really need to deal with any issues. The rest of us are just addicted users. As with any addiction, we'll figure out how to make it work for us even if it takes 12 steps and 28 days. vic

Oldfartt

Sikwan,
Thank you for your extensive effort in operating this forum. I have been educated greatly by the members and the information which is currently the combined knowledge of it's members. It would be a shame to lose any of the data. Do you have an idea where the losses may be?
The decision to upgrade is really yours to ultimately decide. It will mean a considerable amount of effort on your part. I am not in an informed position to comment one way or the other and rely on those who do know to make the best choice for the forum. What ever happens you have my support.

Cheers
Ross

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
Here's a suggestion, which I do in a web application that I have for a MYSQL database for a philanthropic organization. Whenever I upgrade or make a change, I do it on a different folder or web-address that has access to the database. For example instead of www.sprinte-source.com/forum make it www.sprinter-forum.com/forum/new this will be your new forum where you create a new user so you can verify that it works before you move everything to the main forum. This should reduce the down time... Al

Edit: I forgot to join the chorus of praising your stewardship of this forum. This is a regular stop over for me thanks to your well run place.

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
As with any addiction, we'll figure out how to make it work for us even if it takes 12 steps and 28 days. vic
I can quit any time I want. It's not a problem. I only miss 3 or 4 days of work per week to read, research and post on Sprinter-Source. I don't work on the weekends, so those are free Sprinter-Source days that don't count.

People who don't own a Sprinter don't understand, but hey! I can quit any time.

See. I left the keyboard and didn't come back.

Look. I did it again.

Addicts. Hmph. Next you'll be accusing me of being addicted to Air, Water and Food.

I can quit any time. I just don't feel like it right now. Besides, Richard hasn't posted in what? 15 minutes? Where is he? Is he ok?

Richard!

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I can quit any time I want. It's not a problem. I only miss 3 or 4 days of work per week to read, research and post on Sprinter-Source. I don't work on the weekends, so those are free Sprinter-Source days that don't count.

People who don't own a Sprinter don't understand, but hey! I can quit any time.

See. I left the keyboard and didn't come back.

Look. I did it again.

Addicts. Hmph. Next you'll be accusing me of being addicted to Air, Water and Food.

I can quit any time. I just don't feel like it right now. Besides, Richard hasn't posted in what? 15 minutes? Where is he? Is he ok?

Richard!
I did say off line I'm away for a few weeks, batteries run low. energy saving.:smilewink:
But sometimes I just honesty prefer to sit back and watch how a thread evolves, into a melt down.
Addicted you bet I am and Jon, by the way that mysterious axle 4.183 ratio on an auto now has validation.:bow:
But that one can wait.
PS Seek do what you feel is the right thing to do . It's your call.
If any thing is lost as in data we can always rebuild and fill in the gaps.
Richard

Richard

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Thanks everyone for the input.

Looks like it would be best to go to 4.0+. The transition will have to go to 3.8 then to 4.0. If we wait, it'll probably be harder to go from 3.8 to 4.0.

Things like SprinterBox (shoutbox), Reply-to-All in Private Message, will not automatically port over to 3.8 or 4.0. Google search will have to be added to the pulldown menu. Ignoring specific forums is another that will not automatically or easily port over.

I think the most important thing or the goal is to move over all the data to the new version and have a functioning forum and then worry about incrementally adding back the features.

I'm shooting for the Christmas / New Years Holidays. I think everyone should be on some trip and not visiting the forum. :smirk: The work will be start around 11:00pm PST and should not last more than a day (24hrs).

If you have those favorite write-ups, I recommend that you download or save them just in case. There shouldn't be any problems as I'll be doing multiple data backups and compares.

I'm shooting for the Christmas / New Years Holidays. I think everyone should be on some trip and not visiting the forum. :smirk: The work will be start around 11:00pm PST and should not last more than a day (24hrs).
I'll be "working"... well at least at work (we have no customer DR tests scheduled) and online 12/20 right thru 01/02... so if I can be of any assistance to you let me know.

jim

Chandlerazman

Seek, we all appreciate your time in this. In the end, as an administrator, you do what is best. My other forum addiction is the TR6 site (6pack.org). The 6pack site gets upgraded about every two years. The administrator there is Alan if it helps you to ask any questions as to what when and how he does his magic there.

My wife gets annoyed when I am on either forum instead of working on getting the invoices out. Oh well, a man has got to have priorities :laughing: Although I don't post as much as it seems, I spend at least 2-3 hours a day here!

Top Bottom