Resetting Turn Stops For Tighter Turn Radius

TomH

I recently drove both a 144" wb and a 170" wb Sprinter @ the MB dealer with the intent to have Sportsmobile do a conversion. I wanted to see how each vehicle would perform in a U-turn on a 4 lane road with a center turn lane. The 144" Sprinter swung easily from the center lane into the outside lane @ the completion of the 180 degree arc. The right front tire of the 170" vehicle would have gone at least 3 ft. onto the curb. I had waited for all traffic to pass prior to attempting this, so rather than drive the vehicle onto the curb, I backed up with the wheel in the opposite direction, then cleared the curb.

This was the standard 170", though I know the extended would have the same radius. The 144" just isn't large enough for the camping van we want Sportsmobile to build for us. At the same time, the 144" was more maneuverable.

Has anyone attempted, or know whether it is possible, to reset the wheel stops on the Sprinter 170" to allow a slightly tighter turn radius? If so, are there dangers/negatives to doing this? Any feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
The forum is becoming quite complicated as to a knowledge base, as to Just read the pamphlets and think how long a vehicle is as to a radius of a turning cirlce.
SWB: 12.3 (m) MWB 13.6 (m) LWB 15.6 (m) for a Valhalla unit.
Richard

wildimaginations

Wild Imaginations
Sorry but there is no adjustment to increase to turn radius on a 170. I looked. What I mainly do is think like a trucker and swing really wide in anticipation of the U turn. On a 4 lane street, I will start the turn on the right lane and end up on the right lane on the other side. On a 2 lane, I will use the biggest intersection and go around the corners of the intersections to make the U turn. Anything less I just go around the block.

Hope this helps.

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
Sorry but there is no adjustment to increase to turn radius on a 170. I looked. What I mainly do is think like a trucker and swing really wide in anticipation of the U turn. On a 4 lane street, I will start the turn on the right lane and end up on the right lane on the other side. On a 2 lane, I will use the biggest intersection and go around the corners of the intersections to make the U turn. Anything less I just go around the block.

Hope this helps.
X2, longer wheelbase, longer radius turns, I usually start turning just as my front door windows go through the intersection.

TomH

The forum is becoming quite complicated as to a knowledge base, as to Just read the pamphlets and think how long a vehicle is as to a radius of a turning cirlce.
SWB: 12.3 (m) MWB 13.6 (m) LWB 15.6 (m) for a Valhalla unit.
Richard
I did not ask what the turn radius is. I know what the turn radius is. I asked whether it is possible to adjust the turn radius by resetting stops, which is something that can be done on some vehicles.

I searched throughout the archives to see whether this question had been broached before, and found no evidence that it had. Only then did I posit the question.

I have to be honest with you sir. Your responses on this board do not seem welcoming. In fact, they often seem to me downright hostile. Your long disjointed run-on sentences also make your thoughts very difficult to follow. I see that you post voluminously. If you do not like the questions I ask, could you possibly, please, just not reply, rather than taking such an unkind tack?

TomH

Hope this helps.
Yes, your reply DOES help. Your statement that you checked into the same issue validates my interest in the subject. Thank you for replying in a helpful and courteous manner.

The place where I did the U-turn was one of those lanes with concrete berms on each side. This prevented me from swinging wide on the approach.

cedarsanctum

re: Member
Yes, the biggest downside to the long wheelbase.
But, it's worth it because the biggest plus is the better ride from the longer wheelbase, and more room.
These are all things we considered with our purchase. The extra room won out, and now i'm not sure i could downsize. It is worth it.
my 2¢
Jef

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
The choice of 144" or 170" WB boils down to 26" of extra interior length for conversion vs parking and turning limits for 170". Depending on your planned use should determine which to choose. Lots of highway travel then 170". Lots of back country roads and city driving then a 144" WB. Two people traveling or more? I purchased the 144" mostly so I can park in a normal parking place. I recently spent 2 1/2 weeks in New Zealand with a 144" WB rental MH. I confirmed my choice since I would not have wanted anything longer.
I have spent many hours trying to fit everything into the 144". It can be done with a lot of thought. I will have a shower/portapotty space, 80 liter refrigerator. microwave, sink, table & benches and 54" x 71" bed platform across back of van just below window height. If you are over 5'-10" in height then bed may need to be installed lengthwise which would drive you toward the 170" WB.

TomH

TomH: Easy does it.
In what manner do you want me to be easy? I am not the one being unkind. My question was quite valid and the reply was quite a put down. The fact that one person has thousands of posts does not give him the right to be so dismissive. I am a member of several other discussion boards where my posts number into the thousands. I am used to greeting newcomers by saying welcome and trying to answer questions in a polite manner. I have simply asked to be treated respectfully here. I would ask that you go back and read what Altered Sprinter said, then what I said. The other replies here have been helpful and respectful. Tell me please, why exactly is it that you find his words aceptable and mine not? I really invite an honest and candid answer to that question.

TomH

The choice of 144" or 170" WB boils down to 26" of extra interior length for conversion vs parking and turning limits for 170". Depending on your planned use should determine which to choose. Lots of highway travel then 170". Lots of back country roads and city driving then a 144" WB. Two people traveling or more? I purchased the 144" mostly so I can park in a normal parking place. I recently spent 2 1/2 weeks in New Zealand with a 144" WB rental MH. I confirmed my choice since I would not have wanted anything longer.
I have spent many hours trying to fit everything into the 144". It can be done with a lot of thought. I will have a shower/portapotty space, 80 liter refrigerator. microwave, sink, table & benches and 54" x 71" bed platform across back of van just below window height. If you are over 5'-10" in height then bed may need to be installed lengthwise which would drive you toward the 170" WB.
O.K. this helps me a lot. How much clearance DID you have when parallel parking the 144? I would also be interested in knowing the experiences anyone has had in parallel parking the shorter 170. Our usage would be a mixture of open road, city, back country. We also would have a platform bed about the same size as yours, along with counter space, little fridge, porta potti, house batteries, etc. At times we will pull a travel trailer, and at other times not. The shorter 170 dually can add an optional reinforcement bar which enables towing 7500 lbs., so we are leaning toward that model.

New Zealand is a place we'd really like to go to one day. I surely would like to know more about your travels there. Do you have a thread somewhere that you've posted about it?

Thanks very much for your reply.

flman

Tom H, if you could set the radius, all it would do is cause the rear wheels to over track the front ones, and would only be good for a U turn, it would not help you at intersections, it would probably make them worse? I am sure the engineers at Mercedes Benz set the stops as for as practical before you tires would run on the frame or suspension. And I find nothing hostile about people replying to your question, we are just Sprinter owners, we did not build them.

TomH

Tom H, if you could set the radius, all it would do is cause the rear wheels to over track the front ones, and would only be good for a U turn, it would not help you at intersections, it would probably make them worse? I am sure the engineers at Mercedes Benz set the stops as for as practical before you tires would run on the frame or suspension.
Thank you. I know that when Sportsmobile modifies Ford E350s to 4x4, the radius is greatly reduced, though I know it is due to replacement of parts more than resetting stops. I was only hoping they could be adjusted a little bit.

And I find nothing hostile about people replying to your question, we are just Sprinter owners, we did not build them.
I replied to one person who wrote the post quoted below. The syntax is jumbled with the double preposition "as to" being used in three successive prepositional phrases, however it certianly seems to imply that people like me should not complicate the forum with our questions, but should rather go look in a pamphlet and find the turn radius. That reply does not at all seem very welcoming. It also ignored the fact that my question dealt with whether anyone had knowledge about mechanically adjusting the turn radius.

.....we are just Sprinter owners, we did not build them.
Exactly, and I appreciate all those other posters who have shared in a positive manner their knowledge and experience.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Now that's twisting the wording around to suite your self.
I answered your turning radius question.,look at the pamphlets for the models, as to variants of models. "And included the models turning circle variants.

Stating a 4x4 Ford modified engineering is not tweaking a standard steering box, unless you know how to re-engineer the components = $Cost you would not undertake,as to affordability.Of which you realistically can not compare to a Sprinter.
The bump stops are placed on any vehicle for one reason,safety of management as to driving on road, as to a safe limit to prevent under or over steering on cornering at speed.
Steering boxes can be rebuilt to re-calibrate a turning circle, but its based on a rim size as to a particular application,of usage.

Sprinters can be turned on a side street from left to right angles or Right to left with a three point turn,if you set the starting up in the right direction before staring the radical three point turn.

Wide single lane divided secondary highways roads, a full turn can be executed in one go, if you start on full lock.Just look left to right before turning through a set of broken median lines. My reply was fair. As to your question and the radius were given free, as to my time availability.
Richard

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I do not have any problem parallel parking 144". I can also park in a big box store lot without sticking out past other cars.

The NZ trip report is posted in the Sprinter RV's and Conversions section. Title is: NCV3 campervan in NZ report. I thought it would be a good idea to use a Sprinter RV for a couple of weeks to see what we liked and disliked. The main things we learned were: 144" WB was correct choice for us, we hated to have to rearrange everything every time we stopped, the 3 way refrigerator was a pain, the aisle width needed to be wider, setting up and removing a table every night was not acceptable, the water pump was too noisy and I did not like having to bring the grey water drain hose into van for storage. I have addressed all these dislikes in the design of my DIY.

I will soon post the start of the conversion (Orton DIY). I need to complete the composite floor before I post anything. It will include a floor plan drawing showing what I ended up with. I have CAD drawings for all work to be sure it all fits. I am sure there will be a few would have, could have and should have's but I am trying to keep that to a minimum. The information given on this site has been invaluable.

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
...I replied to one person who wrote the post quoted below. The syntax is jumbled with the double preposition "as to" being used in three successive prepositional phrases, however it certianly seems to imply that people like me should not complicate the forum with our questions, but should rather go look in a pamphlet and find the turn radius. That reply does not at all seem very welcoming. It also ignored the fact that my question dealt with whether anyone had knowledge about mechanically adjusting the turn radius. Exactly, and I appreciate all those other posters who have shared in a positive manner their knowledge and experience...
I hear ya, but you gotta believe us when we say Richard is a good guy.
Think of it this way, by living upside down somehow all the stuff he types gets a little jumbled now and then and doesn't come across as clearly as it could...
But, he is an invaluable resource and has seemingly endless time to track down technical information and for that alone we like having him around.

Over time - trust me here - you'll come to love him
Welcome to the forum, thanks for posting this is a great Sprinter resource.

As to your question (sorry I couldn't resist :smirk:) I'm pretty sure the stops can only be adjusted to reduce the steering angle, not to increase it.
On the German forum a guy had to do that when he fitted 18" G-wagen wheels and the tires rubbed on the steering linkage at full lock.

My 140 Sprinter is my car and eminently drivable in city situations.
I even regularly parallel park it.
It's footprint is no larger than a standard full-size pickup with a significatly better turn radius, you give that up as you found when the wheelbase is increased...

Hope this helps

Cheers
George

flman

Now you see Tom H, he may have a little Mel Gibson in him :smirk:, but he is still helping you with more information. It think most of the Aussies are a little like Mel? :crazy:

Now that's twisting the wording around to suite your self.
I answered your turning radius question.,look at the pamphlets for the models, as to variants of models. "And included the models turning circle variants.

Stating a 4x4 Ford modified engineering is not tweaking a standard steering box, unless you know how to re-engineer the components = $Cost you would not undertake,as to affordability.Of which you realistically can not compare to a Sprinter.
The bump stops are placed on any vehicle for one reason,safety of management as to driving on road, as to a safe limit to prevent under or over steering on cornering at speed.
Steering boxes can be rebuilt to re-calibrate a turning circle, but its based on a rim size as to a particular application,of usage.

Sprinters can be turned on a side street from left to right angles or Right to left with a three point turn,if you set the starting up in the right direction before staring the radical three point turn.

Wide single lane divided secondary highways roads, a full turn can be executed in one go, if you start on full lock.Just look left to right before turning through a set of broken median lines. My reply was fair. As to your question and the radius were given free, as to my time availability.
Richard

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Strewth! Play a straight bat without any drama's.
American English V Australian English.
And what do you get?
I can write a letter in brief as to the correctness of social eticate, and or etiquette as in academia.
How long is a piece of string?
The difference is Old English, as in the lost art of letter writing! "Social intercourse".

What's in a grouping of words!"Strine".
Of a letter of which is written on a blog,it will be viewed by as many who fail to read it in as many ways, as to the original intent.
The question is! What is the value as to a reply?
In a reply, of varying commentary! What can you learn?
Some things just are not taught in schools.
Now a letter can be viewed,whereas it's intent is of Strine.

Something that is visible to a person,but because it blends in with other items or it's environment,or because it's not there.The person looking for it,expects it to be,it is hard to locate.
But only from where you standing, not looking.

One can read a letter 3 or four times without recognizing it."It was hidden"{meaning I didn't recognize it} in plain site {it was perfectly visible}.

Let me reiterate as to my reply to the the post at 'Fort Hard', knock me down.
STRINE
Strine: The world's most advanced English dialect.

As a legacy,the non Contemporary Australian dialect or Strine, is the littered with idioms,smiles:smilewink: and invented words that make it one the worlds most interesting dialects, as to Australians who just love to defy the political correctness of English proper.:rolleyes:
Comparison:- American English v Australian English.
The smooth vowels:-The aboriginal influence .The language's are 60 thousand years old ?
The expression of Lexicon:- The world's influence> How many American dialects are there!That are written?
Linguistic determinism:-Australian Psychology.:hmmm: We don't need a shrink to relive our stress.:professor:We just go to the pub and tell our friends, the next day your friends tell their friends. and it all comes out in the open. And you guys {Blokes} and gals or {Sheila's} to be proper!.. Pay how much per hour?...... for a shrinkulator>:lol:

Great Leaders:- Paul Keating's use of Strine.
So what have you learned?
I look beyond for key stoke words, on a ten poster blog.
I want the biggest sprinter of all, with 4x4 and 44' wheels. But How do I reduce the turning radius, :thinking: seems I need to know how, to parallel park.

Well the latter is a two point turn, or try again with a three point turn.Let him loose in a mile wide paddock:eek: preferably with out a tree in the middle, because as sure as night meets day!Thats the most likely place it will end up parked.:yell: "its sort of like a bump-stop".:thumbup:It's all OK.But pity the poor five hundred old tree. standing in the paddock a thousand miles from Home, all on it's lonesome own, with no particulate place to go.
Well thanks for the support! " But Strike me pink." You made me blush, and that's because no matter what... I still love you all.:hugs:
PS: Now that I came out in the open! "Does that make me GAY"....:rolleyes:
G'day Richard.
Just for amusement

YouTube - Stupid drivers compilation - hilarious car parking and driving by the worst drivers ever!

Top Bottom