First-time CA SMOG for my '05 T1N

Wulf

Howdy all,

I've just gotten my registration renewal form - and oh, joy - "STOP" SMOG Certification Required.

Has anyone here in the SF Bay Area gone through this process yet? Any thing I should be particularly aware of before I go in for a smog check? What places are set up to handle a T1N?

many thanks,

Wulf

sikwan

06 Tin Can
My, my, you've got to be kidding!!! Is it that time already? I'm not looking forward to this.

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
I was dreading this but it turned out to be a total non event...

Most shops I called said they could do a diesel, all were $65, the same rate as a gas car

Finally I found a shop that specializes in diesel pickups. http://www.bakersfieldsmog.com/

The guy that was very knowledgable, he was able to intelligently outline the requirements and that aftermarket parts were ok as long as they had proper approval...

His shop was clean and brand new.

Visual inspection of EGR Oxygen sensor and exhaust system...
revved the engine and checked for a black cloud...

$35, total time 15 minutes...

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Wulf

Got mine done this morning in Cupertino. Took 15 minutes, and then another 15 because all the shop mechanics wanted to take a look at the Sprinter! One thing to note is apparently CA DMV's SMOG database and vehicle registration database don't sync immediately. The online record of my PASS wasn't available for about 40 minutes after I finished up at the SMOG station - once DMV had gotten their records sorted out, I was able to complete my re-registration online without a problem.

I was dreading this but it turned out to be a total non event...

Most shops I called said they could do a diesel, all were $65, the same rate as a gas car

Finally I found a shop that specializes in diesel pickups. http://www.bakersfieldsmog.com/

The guy that was very knowledgable, he was able to intelligently outline the requirements and that aftermarket parts were ok as long as they had proper approval...

His shop was clean and brand new.

Visual inspection of EGR Oxygen sensor and exhaust system...
revved the engine and checked for a black cloud...

$35, total time 15 minutes...

Cheers
George

o.z.

I think you can go to any smog check station. My friend just did it a few days ago at the regular smogcheck station in Sacramento. This is a visual smog check and takes a few minutes. He paid $45

surlyoldbill

WHAT?!

I thought that the CA smog for diesels was only for NEW diesels; they made it retroactive?

Yet another reason to leave CA

shortshort

Dis member
Did my 2004 for the first time in CA today. Visual for missing smog bits, black cloud check, and they plugged in to the ODB socket for some other test.

1hen2ducks

2006 SHC & DAD owner
They had to do mine when the van changed into my name.

Kick the tires, light the fires, $65.00 please, next customer..

Two year intervals. what next ?

Mike

KHJPHOTO

Get the heck OUT of CA! I moved in 2002; but didn't sell all the property - stupid me!

No smog TAX here and only $35 to register.

dsellsbear

PAWS8IV
Thank your CARB or whoever is responsible for the smog check...
On this site alone you've scared a few out of Ca.
We obviously need more government fees, cash grabs, shootings, and maybe a few more shark attacks.:clapping:
That will make it more peaceful here and I can continue to put my flip-flops, sunscreen and shorts on and jump in my sprinter (with clear, un-frozen fuel lines) all year round and still not worry about all those people freeeeeezing in the wrong side of this beautiful country.
HELLO CHICAGO:thumbup:

shortshort

Dis member
Soon there will be nobody left in CA except the ultra rich, the homeless, and some norcal loonies living in treehouses. Oh, and Jerry Brown.

kendall69

There is nothing to test. They open the hood look at the smog equipment ( of course they don't know where the smog equipment is on a mercedes diesel ) So they poke around and you pay your money.

Lets see - $65.00 for a few million diesels , do that math. It a cash grab NOTHING more.

wildimaginations

Wild Imaginations
Hmmm... $65 every 2 years for a diesel smog check or shoveling snow every year in the east coast. You know what?? I'd pay the $65 as part of the cost of living in sunny California. You can keep the snow. I'll deal with the earthquakes every 20 years or so.

Top Bottom