fuel rail pressure too high

mackconsult

So you bypassed the return to the filter? Are you returning to the tank now?

Problem solved. My friend took the sprinter on a 6 hour trip and had no limp mode. Lesson is that any fuel system added must have a full return line to relieve fuel rail pressure at certain throttle/RPM positions.

veganxxx

My original plumbing was the return line from the veggie side would go right back into the flat plate heat exchanger and then into the supply valve to the HP pump. Instead the return line on the veggie side runs all the way back through the in tank heat exchanger/pickup (just like any diesel system would)

mackconsult

Okay, filter or FPHE .... same thing. I may still may have this problem after getting my pumping situation figured out.

My original plumbing was the return line from the veggie side would go right back into the flat plate heat exchanger and then into the supply valve to the HP pump. Instead the return line on the veggie side runs all the way back through the in tank heat exchanger/pickup (just like any diesel system would)

mackconsult

New news.

The pump I tried was a prototype that didn't work right. So I found another pump this is production version and hoping this thing will work for a while.

veganxxx,
I am in PA and recently purchased an 02 sprinter with the intention of converting to wvo. Any advise would be appreciated. I tried to pm you but it appears you have this turned off.

Colorado_Al

veganxxx,
I am in PA and recently purchased an 02 sprinter with the intention of converting to wvo. Any advise would be appreciated. I tried to pm you but it appears you have this turned off.
Here is some info about my 03 sprinter WVO conversion:
http://frybrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17303
I purchased a used frybrid kit that was designed to have the VO tank mounted where the spare tire goes. Moved the spare to the door with this kit:
http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=5005779&showprevnext=1
I did a 3 valve conversion, using a controlled loop while on veggie.
In addition to the 3 valve system, I added a raptor RP100 fuel pump between my heated fuel filter and my flat plate heat exchanger (set at the lowest setting 5psi). The engine would go into limp mode due to low fuel pressure.
I also added an inline filter after the supply valve to catch any polymerized oil that may come out of the heat exchanger.
I also added a vegtherm after the inline filter to further boost oil temps.
Good luck with your conversion. Start a thread here to let us know how it goes.

GdB

I have that very rare P0088 code on a bone stock 2005 Sprinter. It has a new fuel filter. What else could it be, the high pressure injection pump?

danielwgross

Hi
I have a 2006 sprinter van that I converted to WVO. The van now has 150k with 85k being veg miles. This Sprinter is amazing runs like a top and is probably my favorite vehicle to date. Any way I like to turn my trucks around 100k for resale. I have started looking into newer Sprinters and have heard the 2010 and after trucks with the Bluetec are problematic for WVO Conversions
My question is I am looking at a 2008 and am wondering if anyone has any experience converting this year vehicle? I put my system in with no problems and plan to move it over before resale. I look forward to hearing your feedback and am proud to be part of the
Sprinter Nation.
Cheers
Dan

Petroman2001

I have a 2006 sprinter giving the same P0088 code, and the sometimes P0087. My problem isn't a limp mode, it's that when I start off, everything is fine, after truck fully warm up, turbo atops pulling, I can hear it whistling, but no power, then if I pull over, shut it off, and restart , it's fine for a 1/2 mile or so,,,, when this is happening, rpms won't go above 3000. And I can do 60 Mph, so I don't think it's in LMH mode,,,, anyone have any direction for me??
I also recently replaced the turbo resinator, and turbo pressure solenoid. With no luck, I cleaned mass are sensor and have a clean air filter, I checked all the hoses and found them all to be ok, no cracks or anything.,
Please help!!

... And I can do 60 Mph, so I don't think it's in LMH mode,,,, anyone have any direction for me??
Please help!!
I wouldn't discount that it is a computer set LHM.

My personal method of determining whether there is a computer set LHM.

Sometimes the computer isn't involved with low power situations. There are many levels of LHM. The test I feel applies is this:

Lower forms of LHM or Emergency Running Mode.
After having not made any repairs or alterations, if your normal operation and power returns after a simple shutdown and restart then whether you have an MIL (aka CEL) lit or not, the computer was involved in limiting the power. In most cases the symptoms will eventually return.

Additional Info:

More severe forms of LHM.
If a shutdown/restart doesn't return operation to normal and you have a MIL (aka CEL) lit then the computer is likely set an LHM which requires (correcting the problem) clearing the codes with a scan tool.

Limited to one forward gear (likely 2nd) and reverse gear.
The most severe level of LHM. This form of LHM is often related to transmission problems. Even after the problem(s) is found and corrected, to return to normal operation this LHM generally requires reset by a scan tool capable of communication with the Transmission Control Module TCM.

As an aside. There is a computer/module response to transmission/drive train problems which doesn't allow any forward gears. I don't consider that a Limp Home Mode or Emergency Running Mode because it doesn't even let you limp.

It is not uncommon for LHM to be set with no MIL Malfunction Indicator Light aka CEL Check
Engine Light being triggered. For some faults to trigger the MIL aka CEL the fault needs to present itself twice in a row for the light to come on. A possibility is that in the case of some LHM events a key off and key on cycle negates that criteria. The fault isn't present when the key is turned back on. Then the fault returns when the engine operating conditions are such that the problem returns to again set LHM. Therefore the computer(s) never detects the fault twice in succession.

vic
As always the original post/thread can be accessed by clicking the blue arrow icon within any quote box.

A simple test would be the Injector Leak Off procedure. Type2Teach Joel has a thread describing the DIY method.

vic

veganxxx

The pump creates the rail pressure but what keeps it steady is a regulator on the back of the rail. I would start there. On the 04' and up that works in conjunction with an internal regulator in the HPP. One of those two should be the culprit. Lastly a clogged return line to the diesel tank.

Farmerrick1

Hey Veganxxx I have the same issue/code P0088 but alsoP0087 which is rail fuel pressure too low... wonder if I could chat with you sometime about your WVO sprinter.. I am near Braddock twice a week at the east end food co op.. anyone else know what to do? My van goes into limp mode when I reach about 40 mph and stays in limp mode until I restart and then it will do it again.. I'm wondering about the rail fuel pressure regulator...its a 2004 dodge sprinter 2500 2.7litre... thanks

Last edited:

Top Bottom