Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:17 AM   #1
The Heaven Van

Default How does a 5kw heater heat engine coolant?

I just purchased a 5kw diesel heater off amazon. (Espar Knock off) The heater claims to be able to warm the coolant for the engine in sub freezing temps. I understand that there is an instake and an exhaust, as well as a diesel fuel line to feed the heater.

Can someone explain to me how this system warms the coolant running throughout the engine? Is it done through the diesel heating or do I need to hook something else up?

Thank you in advance - there is limited info on this subject.
The Heaven Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:07 AM   #2
GSWatson
2013 144

Default Re: How does a 5kw heater heat engine coolant?

It doesn’t. The claim is either a bad translation from the Chinese, or just a false claim. The heater will only heat up the air inside of the vehicle, and do nothing for the engine without doing a lot of (questionable) modifications.

I’ve noticed this claim on many of the eBay diesel heater listings. It has to be a hydronic, not air heater, in order to keep the engine coolant. That would be a clone of the Espar D5, which to the best of my knowledge, hasn’t been cloned cheaply yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GSWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:47 AM   #3
rollerbearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWatson View Post
It doesn’t. The claim is either a bad translation from the Chinese, or just a false claim. The heater will only heat up the air inside of the vehicle, and do nothing for the engine without doing a lot of (questionable) modifications.

I’ve noticed this claim on many of the eBay diesel heater listings. It has to be a hydronic, not air heater, in order to keep the engine coolant. That would be a clone of the Espar D5, which to the best of my knowledge, hasn’t been cloned cheaply yet.

They have cloned the hydronics. They aren't very cheap yet nor very wide spread. I've seen them on Aliexpress, but not Ebay or Amazon (yet).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...AbTest=ae803_5

Last edited by rollerbearing; 01-14-2019 at 03:53 AM.
rollerbearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #4
The Heaven Van

So I will actually need to purchase a separate unit that specifically heats the coolant.

That makes sense.

I couldn't understand how coolant heated without an inlet and outlet for the coolant to runt through.

So are all these sprinter users who are parked int he mountains with sub zero temps running additional coolant heaters? We were just up in Vermont and it was -10.

I didnt bring the sprinter because I was worried I wouldnt be able to get it started in that cold of temps... sure enough I saw 4 other sprinters int he parking lot that showed no issues starting.

Is a strong battery and new GPs enough? or do all these people run coolant heaters?

Thanks in advance.
The Heaven Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #5
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Thanked 2,255 Times in 1,467 Posts

Show a link for what you have, if “Hydronics” you should be able to heat coolant, if "Airtronics" then not, it is to heat air only. 5kW seems as “Hydronic”. Airtronics tend to be 2 or 4kW vs Hydronics 4 or 5kW.

https://goo.gl/photos/2NCR3teXLSwNYSwN8
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #6
GSWatson
2013 144

I’m sure it’s an air heater. For some reason, the Chinese clones are much cheaper at 5kw than 2kw, which is one of the reasons I ended up with one...

Greg

GSWatson is offline   Reply With Quote