Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Winnebago / Itasca

Winnebago / Itasca Itasca Navion, Winnebago View.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:04 PM   #1
Alphacarina
2006 Itasca Navion 23H

Default Norcold N611RT Mods

I'm updating my old fridge a bit. Adding evaporator fans and a couple fans above the condenser to help blow the heat out the roof

One quick question for anyone who might know - Does the interior Fridge light stay on all the time in this model? There's no door switch that I can see and what passes for a schematic doesn't show one either. The instructions for the Evaporator fans say to hook them into the interior light circuit and they do tell you to make sure there's 12 volts there when the door is closed . . . . and supposedly the light is off. The only wiring in mine is 4 wires coming in from above. One pair for the thermistor on the evaporator and one pair for the light. I did replace the light with an LED which is brighter and gives off less heat, but a fridge with a light on all the time would be something new to me. If it isn't on all the time, what turns it off?

Thanks!

Don
Alphacarina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
Alphacarina
2006 Itasca Navion 23H

Default Re: Norcold N611RT Mods

Don't you just hate it when people ask questions before they've thought things through!

The light does turn off, of course and evidently it's a magnetic switch built in somewhere. Just before the door fully closes, it shuts off. I haven't checked yet to see if it removes the ground or the +12 ro turn it off, but either way, it looks like I do not have both available inside the fridge with the door closed to run my new fans. Has anyone else installed evaporator fans in this model and, if so, where did you get the power for them? It looks like I may have to drill a hole through the back wall of the fridge to get power from behind . . . . which is a pretty scary thought!

Don
Old 03-26-2020, 09:07 PM   #3
TJLee089
2013 Itasca Reyo 25R

Why would you not first try one of the battery operated interior fans to see what, if any, difference it makes before drilling holes? It has been my contention, without any solid evidence, that natural convection (cooler air sinks, warmer air rises) provides circulation and that an interior fan makes little, if any, difference unless the fridge is really packed. Many disagree, again with little, if any, evidence.

A fan at the condenser is a different matter since the condenser, unlike the evaporator, is exposed to outside air with (theoretically) unlimited cooling capacity.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:44 PM   #4
Wine Country

First I would make sure that the therm switch is working. I used a heat gun used to melt stuff on my Norcold therm switch on the upper right side of the coll. My fan did not work. Replaced it an bingo it works. It seams to be good as I have a cold freezer and refer in hot weather.
Wine Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:07 PM   #5
Alphacarina
2006 Itasca Navion 23H

My Norcold N611RT did not come with a condenser fan (it's an option for rigs which exit the hot air through the sidewall and not the roof, like mine) so I'm adding a pair of fans controlled by a thermo switch. Norcold says for my model the thermo switch mounts on the upper left fin, as seen from the rear. I found a thermo switch which mounts using a strong magnet, so no screws

The evaporator fans mount on the fins and circulate air 24/7 when the fridge is running. They do keep the fins from icing up and rumor has it that they alone will make the fridge cooler. I think they only draw 1/4 amp, so if they improve efficiency by even a little, they'll more than 'pay' for themselves in energy used, especially when running on propane

If I do have to drill a hole to run the wires through the back wall, I could wire them in with the condenser fans, so they only operate when the fridge is actually running

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to Alphacarina For This Useful Post:
Wine Country (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 11:32 PM   #6
WinnieView1
2014 Winnebago View 24G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphacarina View Post
I'm updating my old fridge a bit. Adding evaporator fans and a couple fans above the condenser to help blow the heat out the roof

One quick question for anyone who might know - Does the interior Fridge light stay on all the time in this model? There's no door switch that I can see and what passes for a schematic doesn't show one either. The instructions for the Evaporator fans say to hook them into the interior light circuit and they do tell you to make sure there's 12 volts there when the door is closed . . . . and supposedly the light is off. The only wiring in mine is 4 wires coming in from above. One pair for the thermistor on the evaporator and one pair for the light. I did replace the light with an LED which is brighter and gives off less heat, but a fridge with a light on all the time would be something new to me. If it isn't on all the time, what turns it off?

Thanks!

Don
Another use for a smart phone. Turn on video recording place it in the fridge and close the door. ;)
Old 03-31-2020, 10:48 PM   #7
rollerbearing

Thanked 1,141 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView1 View Post
Another use for a smart phone. Turn on video recording place it in the fridge and close the door. ;)

Just don't leave your phone in the forest. You might unwittingly record the answer to that age old question. "When a tree falls.................................?"
rollerbearing is offline   Reply With Quote