Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #21
Nautamaran
2004 140Ē SHC U.S. T1N

Thanked 1,626 Times in 1,103 Posts
Default Re: I need heat!

Yesterday I used my AP200 to read a Low Fan Speed code from my boost heater (ZAH module) then clear the code.
I was using the Benz-Sprinter iPhone add-on app.

Then I popped the square cover and did my annual cleaning of the rim around the black plastic turbine to remove the collecting crustiness. I’ve never reached a full lockout, but since the heater only has five error registers I suspect it locks when these are filled, and will unlock when you clear them?

-dave
Nautamaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:40 AM   #22
Patrick of M
2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)

To the OP or whoever else cares, I’ll post a pic of a spliced in diagnostic wire at the Espar (don’t have a pic at the timer). You just cut the wire at the harness, butt in a wire and run in through the firewall, through the dash to the timer harness. The long shot shows the square cover over the fan turbine, it can be removed in situ, but the fuel line (small hose) has to be removed first as its fat end does not allow the cover to come off.
Don’t bother running this wire of your scanner is really generating Espar fault codes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8FA78F61-DEF0-48C2-B6DC-F88E82F08C32.jpg (81.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg EF2F923F-F9E9-4515-81A2-629A2EAC50EA.jpg (80.6 KB, 32 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick of M For This Useful Post:
Nautamaran (09-24-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 09:08 PM   #23
StarryNights

Finally got my head above water enough to get into the Esbar. I managed to get the cover off - - after I removed the little (fuel?) hose! Fan was completely stuck. I did manage to loosen it up some, but it is still pretty tight and feels like bearings are full of coarse sand. The fan noise I heard could not have been this one. Unless I am missing something, doesn't look like there is an easy way to disassemble this further without removing the unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Esbar open.jpg (78.0 KB, 20 views)
StarryNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:39 AM   #24
Patrick of M
2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryNights View Post
Finally got my head above water enough to get into the Esbar. I managed to get the cover off - - after I removed the little (fuel?) hose! Fan was completely stuck. I did manage to loosen it up some, but it is still pretty tight and feels like bearings are full of coarse sand. The fan noise I heard could not have been this one. Unless I am missing something, doesn't look like there is an easy way to disassemble this further without removing the unit.
You can try this in situ but it is easier if you remove the whole unit from the vehicle. If you use a drill to spin the fan (make some kind of connector) and spray a little silicone lube under the fan towards the Center shaft it is possible to resurrect the fan/motor. Give it a good long spin, until it is not resisting any more,,little more lube etc. If you disassemble the Espar, you canít do much more than this ( although with the unit on the bench you can apply 9V directly to the black brown wires of the fan motor and it is easier to see if it will work) I did all of the above and got 2 years out of my Espar fan....