Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #11
312d

Default Re: Replacing Sliding Door Lower Roller - Pictures

here I bought the three of them (price is unbeatable), two uppers were excellent Turkish manufacture, the third one what is the lower arm of this case, was the Chinese one, noticeable lower quality, but the roller ball serves anyway.; I just split the old one in half using only the portion that contains the roller, the rest of the arm is original.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schiebetur-R...item3a768a6d5c
Old 01-26-2019, 12:12 AM   #12
AshevilleSprinter

Thanks for the pictures of this... how do you best remove circular cover plug, I've got the others out but that one doesn't want to pry out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Attachment 59939

Attachment 59940

Thanks for the pictures and details on removal.

That roller will be tough to replace over the retainer style stud.

vic
Asheville, NC
AshevilleSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:25 AM   #13
Matt Foley

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshevilleSprinter View Post
Thanks for the pictures of this... how do you best remove circular cover plug, I've got the others out but that one doesn't want to pry out.
I put a sheetrock screw a couple threads into it and pulled it out with some pliers.
Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Foley For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (01-26-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #14
Nautamaran
2004 140” SHC U.S. T1N

Thanked 1,433 Times in 997 Posts

I used the Dorman part in 2018. Quality was poor and the part didn’t fit properly, requiring extra hours of mucking around to get the door latching smoothly.
As posted above, the door-side mounting bracket has the wrong bend angle, so the roller drags the step. AND the range of adjustment is smaller so the roller projects too far.
The adjustment screws are in different locations than the OEM part, so switching the door-side half (to maintain the correct bend angle and height) then requires milling out the slots in the roller arm (to get the projection right).
I’m frugal, but I think I worked too hard for what I saved avoiding the Mopar/MB parts counter.

-dave

ps: I used two utility knife (Olfa) blades to pry out the diamond plugs without damage. They still blend in nicely with the step.

Last edited by Nautamaran; 02-01-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Nautamaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nautamaran For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #15
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,626 Times in 8,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautamaran View Post
I used the Dorman part in 2018. Quality was poor and the part didn’t fit properly, ...

Looking on Amazon, the pictures (if accurate) of these two aftermarket parts look very different.

T1NlowerRoller.jpg

Not only does the angle appear different, the roller stud style doesn't match either.

1 review on the Autopa = Oversized stamping rubs against lower rail guide causing rough sliding and door not able to close as stamping radius is larger than wheel diameter pushing out door. Had to grind to make work. Buyer beware.

No reviews to date on the JSD.

FWIW. vic

Off topic.

I purchased the Dorman 924-122 Sliding Door Roller middle position part, but have yet to install it. I hope it fits better than the Dorman lower one.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 02-02-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #16
crockej

How do you remove the guide from the track? I removed the door and the lower roller assembly moves freely back and forth but couldn’t get it to come out of the track.
crockej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #17
jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com

Someone here posted about bending the flat arm enough to keep it in the track. This works, unless you slam the door. haha.

I too, bought replacement roller, but saw it was not applicable unless there was some grinding or removing the offending part that did not allow an easy install. At the time, bending the arm slightly to stay in the track was the easiest route. It has only come off when some monkey slammed the door, and is easy to put back in. I suppose one of these days I will grind off the offending part and use the brass rollers.

Bouncing around offroad in Baja has not caused a problem with this temporary fix. The monkeys have.

Don't slam the front drivers door will now be a mandate for anyone to work on my T1N.

Thanks to all here.
jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:02 PM   #18
jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com

My bad. I was referring to the front cab window parts.

When adding some adhesive sound proofing recently, I did unscrew the plastic sliding door footwell piece, which released the lower slide door control roller. There was a bit of muck collected down there that I cleaned up before laying down the sound proofing and isolating the metal from the plastic footwell piece. I cleaned up the surface of the roller and lubed it a bit with some lithium spray before I reinstalled the plastic footwell piece. There is now no way for any moisture to reach the metal footwell area under the plastic.

The front cab footwells showed much more water intrusion than the side door area. MB got the slide door footwell right. The front cab footwells, not so much, with the rust out of sight. I cleaned up those metal footwell and sprayed a few coats of Rustoleum before isolating all the metal with the adhesive sound proofing. That stuff sticks to the metal and seals completely, plus the sound is so much quieter.

There I go again off topic back to the from cab footwells, but the driving experience is dramatically improved.
jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #19
Nautamaran
2004 140” SHC U.S. T1N

Thanked 1,433 Times in 997 Posts

Quote:
Off topic.

I purchased the Dorman 924-122 Sliding Door Roller middle position part, but have yet to install it. I hope it fits better than the Dorman lower one.
I installed that part on mine spring of 2017, replacing the worn and “drooping” original. It bolted straight in, and adjustment went smoothly.

At that time I couldn’t stomach the price of the lower roller, so replaced the failed wheel with a bit of stainless tubing, welded to the factory arm as a skid-plate and generously greased. That worked better than the failed roller post, but had a lot of shudder, and I didn’t want to risk wearing the plastic track under the step further. For the price of the lower roller you’d hope they would be more faithful copies...

-dave
Nautamaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nautamaran For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (02-15-2019)