Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > The Competition

The Competition Discussion of other vehicles similar to the Sprinter; Transit, Promaster, etc.
Subforums: Write-Ups

Old 08-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #11
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 12,114 Times in 7,731 Posts
Default Re: Ford Transit 350 / 350 HD for conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
... now I have to plot out the fires on the pathways.
A bad year it has been.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #12
flman
In Transit

Thanked 3,677 Times in 2,837 Posts

Quote:
Today I visited both a dodge promaster dealer and a ford transit dealer to look at their "biggest / heaviest duty" versions.

The dodge sales guy was a nice young man, but didn't have any idea about the vans. I entered the van through the rear door and promptly bumped my forehead on the door close assembly in the middle of the entry way.

Even though it was an empty cargo van, the inside ceiling really didn't feel as tall as I would like in general, although this could have been tainted by the head bumping experience.

The Transit shop is a commercial van shop and has a dedicated person who really knows his stuff.

The ceiling seemed to be slightly taller (not super tall, but taller). Nonetheless, the door closure problem exists on this van as well. I don't remember this happening on a high roof sprinter, but need to check.

Compared to a 170 sprinter - it frankly seems (and is) a bit short.

Neither of the vans come in a "crew" version which is really what I would like to buy, so I guess that means starting with an empty and building up from scratch. That is more work than I had hoped for - might have to buy an interior.

Also will need to add a second row of seats for passengers / grand kids.

You must be tall, my Transit is close to 7' at the doors and ceiling, and I do not miss the crappy closing doors on my T1N or NCV3. The Transit slider works like a dream and the rear doors do not bind if I park on a crooked surface, like happens in a Sprinter noodle van.
flman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #13
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton

Thanked 4,239 Times in 2,410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flman View Post
You must be tall, my Transit is close to 7' at the doors and ceiling, and I do not miss the crappy closing doors on my T1N or NCV3. The Transit slider works like a dream and the rear doors do not bind if I park on a crooked surface, like happens in a Sprinter noodle van.
I am 5'-10" and have not hit my head entering the back doors of the high roof Transit. The high roof Transit rear doors are taller than the medium roof Transit. I have hit my head entering the slider door. The Transit slider door is not a tall as the Sprinter slider. The medium roof and high roof Transit have the same height slider door. My insulated floor is 2 1/8" thick which is part of the reason I can hit my head.

You are correct about the noodle Sprinter van. Our driveway is uphill from the uphill road. When turning into the driveway the 08 Sprinter body would noticeably twist and would lose traction. Transit does not do that. Looking at the interior construction gives the reason for the stiffer body. The boxes above and below the window indents are deeper and there are heavy diagonal tubes over the slider door positions. I also suspect the normal McPherson strut front suspension on Transit contributes to the better handling. Sprinter uses a cross van leaf spring.
The Following User Says Thank You to Graphite Dave For This Useful Post:
flman (08-12-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #14
HarryN

When you measure the height from the floor to the lowest object at the center of the door way, what is the result? In other words, not the tallest, but absolute smallest door way distance ?

Imagine that you need to put a box in the van - how tall could it be?

BTW - hit my head on the promaster, not the transit, but they both have a "closer" in the middle of the door opening, lowering the size from the web site spec 74 to closer to 72 inches.

Barefoot I am 71 inches tall, with tennis shoes maybe 72, and I can imagine being another inch higher walking or sort of swinging into the van.

I agree - they are taller inside.

Maybe there is a taller model that I am missing?

www.squareup.com/store/wirlnet-com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #15
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton

Thanked 4,239 Times in 2,410 Posts

Quote:
When you measure the height from the floor to the lowest object at the center of the door way, what is the result? In other words, not the tallest, but absolute smallest door way distance ?

Imagine that you need to put a box in the van - how tall could it be?

BTW - hit my head on the promaster, not the transit, but they both have a "closer" in the middle of the door opening, lowering the size from the web site spec 74 to closer to 72 inches.

Barefoot I am 71 inches tall, with tennis shoes maybe 72, and I can imagine being another inch higher walking or sort of swinging into the van.

I agree - they are taller inside.

Maybe there is a taller model that I am missing?
My 2015 high roof Transit measures 71 3/4" from the top of the rubber pad that has the spare tire lowering plug cover to the bottom of the plastic box of the upper latches. The bumper step is much lower.

So if you work at it and enter the van on the centerline you could hit your head. Should be self correcting after the first contact. The latch "box" is 8 3/4" wide and protrudes down 1 3/4". So opening height on either side of the "box" is 73 1/2".