Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Airstream > Sprinter Westfalia

Old 10-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #11
MrTomacco
Mr. Tommaco

Default Re: Sliding Door Lower Mechanism Replacement

The washer is oblong and sorta cone shaped. You need to be able to rotate it some how to set the ( up and down?) alignment. Not sure how you grab it to adjust it. There is a metal tab in a slot that adjusts the bracket forward and back also. I gave up and had the pros do it. And then marked their location.
MrTomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #12
Robert Foster

After several frustrating attempts at trying to get my center roller arm adjusted I took it to the professionals. I fortunately have a local non dealership shop right near my house that specializes in Sprinter Fleet maintenance. They looked at my door for about 60 seconds and immediately said that the center roller that I had purchased awhile back was a cheap Chinese knockoff that was too weak, and quickly bends with use causing the rear of the door to sag. They had seen these Chinese knockoffs several times before. They ordered a true genuine MB part directly from MB, replaced it and adjusted my door. The sliding door works so smoothly now you can close it literally with one finger. Depending on what angle the van is parked at, I actually have to slow the door down to prevent it from closing with too much force, which is something the professional who did the adjustment stressed upon me.

One interesting thing to note about their installation of the center roller arm. I purchased my 2005 Sprinter used in 2014 and the sliding door had obviously been worked on before. That big washer with one convex side installed under the bolt that holds the center arm roller to the door was always a point of interest for me. When I purchased my van the washer was installed with the convex side towards the inside surface of the door. The professionals at my local shop flipped the washer over and the convex side is now facing away from the door. I have no idea which way is OEM as I never could find a picture of it in any of the Sprinter Manuals that I looked through, but found it interesting and wanted to make note of it for other owners.

The other thing to note which I mentioned previously is that it does appear that my door seal is fatigued. When inside the van with the door closed I can see some daylight between the seal and sliding door's inner surface along the vertical leading edge of the door. I checked the adjustment tolerance of the doors leading edge and it is indeed 1 mm recessed from the B-pillar as the installation instructions recommend. So i will be ordering a new seal soon and replacing that.

Last edited by Robert Foster; 10-28-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Robert Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Foster For This Useful Post:
onemanvan (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 04:25 PM   #13
onemanvan

Good feedback re: sliding door - thanks! OEM configuration of the convex washer is rounded side facing in. I imagine it's easier to adjust with the rounded side facing out. Interesting point re: the gap on the leading edge - I have the same gap! I don't think mine is due to misalignment and I don't think the weather seal is deformed. Just another quirk of the poorly designed sliding door...
onemanvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:52 PM   #14
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

Robert,

Thanks for update. Not many people have been as lucky in getting sliding door to work.

Would it be possible to post info re shop name, service technician, time and ballpark cost?

It might be handy info for folks on east coast--perhaps even as they travel.

Note: More detailed thread by Robert on the central arm and washer:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=69769

Last edited by OldWest; 10-28-2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Add Note with link
OldWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #15
Kiltym

We had a little daylight along the leading edge and top edge of the sliding door. I simply wiggled the gasket a bit inward and I no longer have daylight in either location. Might want to try before spending $100 on a new gasket. Our door closes pretty well, but likely not perfect, and nothing leaks, which was my primary concern when I saw the daylight "cracks".
Kiltym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiltym For This Useful Post:
Robert Foster (11-04-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 10:49 PM   #16
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

In this post from the T1N thread, Ted adds some more info and photographs.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...1&postcount=11

Text (but not photos) quoted below:

As an aside, I am not convinced that the Westy needs the special "high-clearance" door roller. This was used on refrigerated trucks with a lot of insulation.

Unfortunately, the normal Sprinter center roller cannot be installed on our "high-clearance" door. You can tell our doors are special because they have that little cutout for the unique roller. The way the center roller attaches is unique to our doors. The threaded bolt is in a different place, and a tab on the regular hinge doesn't line up.

At a German Westyfest some years ago I saw a van with a normal Sprinter door (and normal roller.) They were not the first owners so they didn't know anything about it, but their door worked fine and still had the interior panel with roller blind, etc.

The normal roller -- by virtue of its shorter length and forked design -- is a much sturdier item. Even the OEM Mercedes part is a pot-metal thing that doesn't have enough stiffness to do the job.

Our door is rusted and when we eventually replace it I will report back on the regular roller.

Ted

p.s. If the seam at the rear of your door is split, get some oil in there and tape it up to stop the rust from continuing to grow.

------------------

Note: Just a guess: the Westy may use this bigger swing out door because of the relocated door lock knob. On our Westies, we have the roller shade on the sliding door. Our door lock knob is thus relocated slightly so as not to be in the roller blind space. When you open the sliding door all the way, the door lock knob just clears the rear window weatherstripping.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:19 AM   #17
OldWest
T1N Westfalia

Also, according to the Europarts-sd.com site, our Westy version of the sliding door allows it to be locked in a partially open position. I don't know how this works??? Anyone know?

https://europarts-sd.com/mfg-subcat-...ID=97&scID=144

Center Door Slide Mechanism OUTER SLIDE 2002-2006 (GENUINE MERCEDES)
Rating: 0
Middle of right side sliding door. Located on outer portion of door.
This unit is ONLY used with those vehicles having the two stage sliding door. This option allows the sliding door to be opened
and locked at the halfway position and the full open position.
Dodge refers to this as the body slide.
Mercedes Code: T09 (Sliding Door Exterior Track)

This center door slide is a much heavier duty unit than the one shown below. If you have this version, there will be a small black plastic cover (shown below) on the outside of the sliding door, at the rear most area of the door.
Compare to INNER SLIDE shown below. The two different center slides are NOT interchangeable.

IF YOUR EXISTING PART NUMBER'S LAST TWO DIGITS ARE 04 47, ORDER THIS UNIT. IF THEY ARE 13 47, CHOOSE THE ONE SHOWN BELOW.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:01 AM   #18
Robert Foster

The sliding door adjustment was done by

Larrys Auto & Truck Repair
1313 Belleview Ave
Charlottesville, Va. 22901
(434) 979-3223

They charged me $107 for a new central roller arm directly from MB and 2 hours of labor at $80 per to install the roller arm and adjust the door. NOTE: ...every component on my door was loose from my recent parts replacement so they were starting from scratch and adjusting every parameter on the door.

This is my fourth trip to this shop and each time the service has been more than satisfactory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWest View Post
Robert,

Thanks for update. Not many people have been as lucky in getting sliding door to work.

Would it be possible to post info re shop name, service technician, time and ballpark cost?

It might be handy info for folks on east coast--perhaps even as they travel.

Note: More detailed thread by Robert on the central arm and washer:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=69769
The Following User Says Thank You to Robert Foster For This Useful Post:
OldWest (11-09-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 01:03 AM   #19
Robert Foster

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that, but unfortunately got a little water through the door after last nights rain, so I will try replacing the gasket next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltym View Post
We had a little daylight along the leading edge and top edge of the sliding door. I simply wiggled the gasket a bit inward and I no longer have daylight in either location. Might want to try before spending $100 on a new gasket. Our door closes pretty well, but likely not perfect, and nothing leaks, which was my primary concern when I saw the daylight "cracks".
Old 11-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #20
Wasaabi

Thank you for a great write up. My middle roller needs replacement. Can anyone here confirm if I can replace it while leaving the others intact such that I would only have to adjust this one new roller? I’m trying to figure out my odds of getting away with a relatively simple DIY repair using a new genuine part. Thanks.
Wasaabi is offline   Reply With Quote