Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
kenwilfy

Default Cranks but No Start, no codes

This is a 2001 Freightliner Sprinter that is currently in Belize. The van hasn't started for a while. We were getting the "start error" on the instrument cluster. We removed the ECU and the Skreem module and sent them to a place in the US to be tested. The ECU and Skreem module were found to have garbled coding on them caused by low voltage cranking. The folks at SOS diagnostics reflashed the ECU and Skreem module and then tested them for a day or two in a Sprinter that they have. Everything worked fine. Shipped the ECU and Skreem module back to Belize and installed them. Van still will not start but we are no longer getting the "start error" on the cluster and the van has been towed to a Sprinter friendly shop with a scan tool and it is showing no codes. Any ideas? The shop is swearing up and down that the Central Locking Control Unit (under driver's seat) is faulty and this is causing the no start problem. I feel like there could be a low voltage problem at the Skreem Module perhaps caused by a faulty wiring connection or bad fuse panel. Any way to test these theories to see who is right?

I look forward to any advice or help you can give.

Thanks,
Ken Wilford
John 3:16
www.vanagain.com
kenwilfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
jmoller99
Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.

Default Re: Cranks but No Start, no codes

Maybe air in the fuel lines? My 2002 has a suction pump on the engine for pulling diesel from the fuel tank. If this line/fuel filter has somehow gotten air in it - it won't start and it does not throw any error codes.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,102 Times in 5,910 Posts

Quote:
I feel like there could be a low voltage problem at the Skreem Module perhaps caused by a faulty wiring connection or bad fuse panel. Any way to test these theories to see who is right?
If the van sits idle for a *long* time (months), the battery can sloooowly drop to the "ambiguous" zone where the electronics can do odd things.
They can usually hand a quick drop (such as starter load on a weak cell or bad connection), but slow drops can really cause confusion on devices (like these) that occasionally write to their own memories.

In the Sprinter, "bad connections" can include "burnt" major cables (+12v, sometimes a ground wire, strap bridging an engine mount).
They may look OK, but they flake insulation when squeezed or bent.
Message 8 in this thread: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...ighlight=burnt
is an example of that

good luck
--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
kenwilfy

Thanks for the ideas. As far as I can tell there is no problem with fuel supply. There is fuel to the injectors and no air in the lines. However the mechanic is telling me that when you crank the van over and check for voltage at the injectors he is only seeing 1 volt. I am not sure what this tells us but I thought I would share it to see if it can help troubleshoot the problem. The main question we have is if the central locking module needs to be programmed or not. We had the ECU, Skreem Module, and Key all programmed together and installed in another van here in the states. They all worked together on that van with no problem. However when we installed these units on our van in Belize it still won't start. We didn't program the Central Locking Module because we didn't think it would matter. Now a shop is telling us that it needs to be programmed as well for the van to start. If anyone can comment on this I would be very grateful.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
kenwilfy

We still have this van sitting and not running down in Belize. I thought I would forward to this forum, the story of how the van stopped running from the mouth of my German mechanic friend who is trying to repair it. If this story brings any thoughts to your mind, please let me know as we are still trying to troubleshoot the van but are wondering where to go from here.

Sprinter Story:

Steven pulled the Sprinter in my Shop and i saw that the last Mecanic made a Wire from the Plus Terminal to the Swimmer in the Tank because he was thinking there is the Pre-Pump.i open the Bleedscrew from the Fuelfilter and saw that the Filter was empty.i filled the Filter and the Sprinter was starting and short running on 4 Cylinder but it goes out after the Filter was empty again.i changed the Pre Pump and the Sprinter was short running but only on 4 Cylinder it goes out again.i checked the Injectors and 1 Injector was not spraying.i read out the ECU with my small Scanner and the Code( i don't know anymore which Code it was) told me that the Turboboostsensor and the Pressure Regulator in the front of the Rail are not working.i changed all 3 Units and the Sprinter was running and driving for 25 Miles then it stops again.i touched the Intakemanifold and the Manifold was very hot.i cleaned the EGR and the Manifold and the Sprinter was starting and running again for 5 Miles then it Quit again.i spray in the Injectors and saw
that the Injector in Cylinder NR.3 was leaking.The Problem was that the last Mecanic glued in this Injector with Proxyglue.i destroyed the Cover removed the Injector cleaned all and built in the new Injector.The Sprinter was running first on 4 Cylinder but after a short while it was running on 5 Cylinder.i drove the Sprinter first 10 miles and then the Problems starts.i heared that i got a rattling Noise the same Noise if you have to much Play in the Valves but this Noise was only if you step hard on the Gaspedal.If you drive smooth it was nothing.Before i could found the Problem comes direct the next Symptom.if i start the Engine was the Sprinter running on 5 Cylinder i switched from P to D or N to D or P to R or N to R then was the Engine running only on 4 Cylinder.i was thinking maybe is Air in the System and changed the Returnlines and build in clear Lines to see whether i have Air in the System.i had Air in and after a while was the Sprinter very Good running.i drove the Sprinter the next 35-40 miles and the next Problem was there.The Engine was running only on 4 cylinder and hard to start.i looked on the Returnlines but i didn't see Air.i stopped the Engine and the Sprinter didn't start again.i checked the Injectors again and all spray in.i opened the Lines on the Injectors and Fuel comes on.i checked all Sensors on Ohm and Voltage that was Ok too?i checked the Ground by the ECU and this was ok.i checked the Voltage direct on the ECU and i got only 1.0 Volt by Ignition on and cranking.After that i send to you the ECU,Immobilizer and Centrallockmodule.i built all back in but the Sprinter doesn't start.after that i didn't nothing anymore because i have no Ideas anymore.The Check Engine light is out on the Sprinter and the Dashboard show nothing.

I changed 2 Injectors,Fuelfilter,Pre-Pump,Turboboostsensor,Intakehose which is between the Intercooler and EGR,Pressuresensor which is in the front of the Rail and the Glowplugmodule.
i checked all Sensors on Ohm and Voltage,Ground.The Wire which goes to the Glowplugs from the Module i made an Ohm Test.i cleaned the Intakemanifold because it was clocked and cleaned the EGR because it stocks.

That is it was i did all on the Sprinter.i hope it help?
Old 12-07-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
abittenbinder
Doktor A (864-623-9110)

Thanked 2,707 Times in 796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwilfy View Post
our van in Belize it still won't start. We didn't program the Central Locking Module because we didn't think it would matter. Now a shop is telling us that it needs to be programmed as well for the van to start.
I strongly recommend you remove the Sprinter from this shop as quickly as possible.

I would also recommend that you send me airline tickets to Belize as quickly as possible.

Doktor A
abittenbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
TechSOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by abittenbinder View Post
I strongly recommend you remove the Sprinter from this shop as quickly as possible.

I would also recommend that you send me airline tickets to Belize as quickly as possible.

Doktor A
No doubt. I'm sure the "start error" we repaired ocurred after they started working on it. Supposedly, the "start error" is back now so they are sending it back, but there are obviously more problems.
TechSOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
kenwilfy

The van is still down. I just went down there last week and stopped by to see what was going on. First of all I have to say a big Thank You to the folks at SOS who have been super helpful and professional in trying to help us get to the bottom of this problem. The van was taken to a place called Econodiesel in Belmopan Belize. They supposedly have the computer that will read the codes from the Sprinter and they are supposed to be the only ones in the country that have one so our choices were limited. However they were also the ones that told us that the door lock control unit was causing the van not to start. When we found out that was not true then they told us that the ECU was bad (again found out not to be true by SOS). Then when my guy went there to see what was going on after not hearing back from the shop for a few days he finds the ECU opened up and the cover for the ECU sitting in the dirt beside the van. Then they have the nerve to charge $300 for their "work".

Moral of the story is that we should have probably paid for Doctor A to fly down six months ago and the van would either be back on the road or at least we would know what the problem is. As it is the customer is running out of patience with the van and I don't think he would be willing at this point to cough up the money for some plane tickets.

If things change I will give Doctor A a call!

Ken Wilford
John 3:16
Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
abittenbinder
Doktor A (864-623-9110)

Thanked 2,707 Times in 796 Posts

One way airline ticket would be quite acceptable.

I have no intention of leaving, once there.

Doktor A
abittenbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abittenbinder For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (02-03-2012), hkpierce (02-03-2012)
Old 12-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #10
Peluka

2002 2500 Sprinter.... Love the size n when engine runs amaizing...but too many......too many problems...since I call Doctor A last week, to ask for the glow plugs, now the Van wont start, turns over but nothing (im in Florida 84 degrees today).I was thinking on the low pressure pump..so I get container , rubber hose and a filter to see trhu...fill Van's fuel filter ...crank it....there was fuel comin out of pump. I did disconect the high pressure pump before the rail crank and there is fuel.....only one thing...when loose the injector nut...thrre is fuel but not really so hard....fuel everywere with that only observation. Also I did remove the fuel regulator to check the O rings...(what a pain)..perfect , O-ring OK. Hope somebody trow me an idea were to check next.....there is no codes nothing, just turn over and wont start. Happens twice last time i fill filter like i did today n start but after 24 hours ...just wont start.
Crank sensor?
Cam Sensor?
Any idea???...please.
Peluka is offline   Reply With Quote