Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #1
elemental

Default DPF differential pressure sensor issue - any expert thoughts?

Can anyone with experience diagnosing DPF and differential pressure sensor behavior interpret the
XENTRY regeneration history I was given at a recent visit to MB?

I'm seeking understanding of what the MB diagnosis and XENTRY report means for long-term monitoring of my DPF system. I have made two service visits to MB (total), several months and several thousand miles apart, each one due to a Check Engine light with a diagnosis related to the differential pressure sensor. The vehicle is a 2017 Sprinter 2500 170 with the 3.0 V6.

I was chided by the service advisor for too many short trips that were preventing the DPF from regenerating. He did not seem willing to believe me when I told him I made practically no short trips. I make a couple of 6 to 8 mile trips per week (30 miles per hour), along with 4 to 6 30 miles trips each week (50 to 60 MPH), with the rest of my driving several hundred to a thousand miles at a time (stopping only for fuel).

1. For example, every single entry says that the cause of the termination of regeneration was "IGNITION OFF [0]"; that seems unlikely.

2. Starting with entry #17, a series of regeneration attempts each lasting 0 seconds is noted; I think this is where the tech advisor might have been focused when he suggested that I was making too many short trips. However, each regeneration attempt is 0 seconds, not a random number of seconds that I would expect if it was just getting up to temperature and starting regeneration before I killed the ignition.

3. Finally, should I read the history from top to bottom (i.e., oldest entry is #1, or are the newest entries on the top)?

4. Any other thoughts?
------------------------------------------------
On 2/12/2018 At 400 miles on the odometer, the check engine light came on. Took vehicle to MB workshop for service on 2/13/2018 at 666 miles on the odometer, with the following results:

CLIENT STATES THE 'CHECK ENGINE' MALFUNCTION WARNING
IS DISPLAYED IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
Cause: ISSUE CURRENTLY UNDER INVESTIGATION BY MBUSA FOUND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON AT TIME OF SERVICE, CONNECTED BATTERY MAINTAINER AND SDS, RAN QUICK TEST, FOUND STORED CDI FAULT P170400, PLAUSIBILITY ERROR DUE TO DEFECTIVE EXHAUST GAS PRESSURE LINES BETWEEN THE DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER ANDTHE DIFFERENTIAL PRESSURE SENSOR. CHECK XENTRY TIPS, FOUND DECEMBER 2017 TECH TOPIC GP 07.04 CONCERNING THIS ISSUE.PER TOPIC INSTRUCTION PERFORMED GUIDED TEST SEQUENCE.PROCESSED FAULT IN XENTRY, PERFORMED COLLATION OF DIAGNOSIS PERFORMANCE DATA, CHECKED DPF DIFFERENTIAL PRESSURE SENSOR(GT CDI), TEST OK. PERFORMED COMPRESSION TEST (GT CDI 2),TEST OK. CHECKED CHARGE AIR SYSTEM FOR LEAK TIGHTNESS (GTCDI 3), TEST OK. CHECKED EXAUST TAILPIPE FOR CARBON FOULING,FOUND TAILPIPE FREE OF CARBON DEPOSITS. CHECKED EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR LEAKS VIA VISUAL INSPECTION, FOUND EXHAUST SYSTEM LEAK TIGHT. PERFORMED PLAUSIBILITY CHECK OF TEMPERATURE SENSORS VIA XENTRY GUIDED TEST (GT CDI 4), TEST OK.INITIALIZED REGENERATION OF THE DPF (GT CDI 5). PERFORMED POST REPAIR COLLATION OF DIAGNOSIS PERFORMANCE DATA WITH ENGINE AT IDLE (GT CDI 6).
Correction: CLEARED FAULT CODE, RETURNED VEHICLE TO CUSTOMER VIA TECHTOPIC INSTRUCTION.

The check engine light stayed off after this service visit until 4,607 on the odometer, when it came on immediately following a fuel stop near the beginning of a 2,600 mile trip. I took the vehicle to MB workshop (different than first workshop) for service on 8/1/1028 with 6,972 on the odometer, with the following results (Note: the mileage in/out is from the visit on 8/10/2018 when the sensor was replaced, not the visit on 8/1/2018 when the need to replace the sensor was diagnosed by MB workshop):

CUSTOMER STATES CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON
FAILED DIFFERENTIAL PRESSURE SENSOR
CONFIRMED CEL, SCANNED FOR FAULTS. 1 FAULT STORED P18F100
MEASURED VALUES OF DPF ARE IMPLAUSIBLE. PROCESSED FAULT,
CHECKED FOR LEAKS FOUND NONE. CHECKED CONNECTOR TO SENSOR.
CONNECTOR WAS TIGHT AND PINS OK. RECOMMEND NEW SENSOR.
8-10-18 REPLACED SENSOR. RAN INITIALIZATION WITH SDS. TEST
DROVE AND CLEARED CODES. FUNCTIONS NORMAL AT THIS TIME.
MILEAGE IN 7072 MILEAGE OUT 7074.

Attached is the XENTRY report of the “History of regeneration of diesel particulate filter” (this report was printed at my return trip to have the new sensor installed as part of the second service visit):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6181.jpg (162.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6182.jpg (155.7 KB, 82 views)
Old 08-18-2018, 09:53 PM   #2
elemental

Default Re: DPF differential pressure sensor issue - any expert thoughts?

Anyone? Help? Please?
Old 08-19-2018, 01:10 AM   #3
ptheland
2013 144" low top Passgr

I’m no expert, but I’ll stick my neck out and say something isn’t right. I don’t think there is anything you’ve done or failed to do.

My suggestion would be to work with your local dealer (or a dealer you can get to regularly) to figure this out. Let them throw parts at it on their dime. I’d see if you can arrange to stop in every couple thousand miles to have them check the recent regen history until you see a few normal regens. If they’re not normal, let them try another part until it’s fixed.

It may take some time to get this figured out. Both you and the dealer will need some patience.

2013 144" wheelbase, low roof passenger, with wheelchair lift in side door (soon operational, but not yet cosmetic)
ptheland is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ptheland For This Useful Post:
elemental (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 03:46 AM   #4
Sprinter SS

Not sure if what I experienced with my 16 model 144" 4x4. Long story short I had a van on order and it came in as a 16 when it should have been a 17 due to the whole diesel recertification deal. I took delivery, by the time I was at 5k miles it had a check engine light and the issue was as it went into regeneration it would get 90% done and quit, leaving it incomplete. After several of these cycles it threw the code. So from 0 miles to 5k it never truly completed a regen. The dealer had to reflash the ecu with updated software (overnight deal) and has been fine since.

I was confused what the deal was but it was all software, apparently the sensors were working properly.

Not sure if you can tell when it is re-genning, but on my 12 model and now my 16 model i can easily tell. Engine sounds a little muffled, exhaust is pinging with heat and throttle is a smidge more sensitive. If i sense it is finishing up i never turn it off.
Sprinter SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sprinter SS For This Useful Post:
lindenengineering (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #5
elemental

Thank you for the responses; I welcome anyone else chiming in with wisdom or experience to offer. If a "complete" regeneration should have an appropriate reason for termination (not "ignition off") then my system is having a problem, especially since a number of the "ignition off" regeneration reasons were logged in the middle of long distance trips (I merged my travel/fuel log with the regeneration history data to see the context in which the regenerations are taking place).

I have two dealers somewhat nearby; one is an hour away, the other is two hours away. The closer one seems to be less experienced (smaller dealership, fewer Sprinters on the lot), the further one more experienced (larger, in a denser metro area, and with a well-known Sprinter enthusiast salesperson). I'm planning on following up with the more experienced dealer. The less experienced one assumed the regeneration history shows a problem with me didn't ask me about my driving patterns.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:04 AM   #6
lindenengineering

Thanked 8,333 Times in 4,341 Posts

This thread begs questions.
What iteration is the differential pressures sensor on the rig?
There have been three so far!
Has the socket been upgraded to the latest type with the harness arrester strap on the top?

Are the connector tubes feeding the sensor gas tight, & not plugged up?
What is the EBP figure at KOEO for starters ?
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
edfrompa (08-20-2018), Old Crows (08-20-2018)