Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.


 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
tallahasseejames
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Exclamation NCV3 Check Engine Light Code P068A

[COLOR="Black"[/B][/COLOR]Have a low mileage (25000) 2013 2500 and Check Engine Light came on. Diagnostic code "P068A - ECM/PCM Power Relay De-Energized Performance -Too Early." We are 120 miles from dealer who is non-committal about whether or not it is safe to drive. Other than the Check engine light there are no obvious problems in driving it. Does anyone have experience with this issue?

Last edited by tallahasseejames; 07-10-2019 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typo
tallahasseejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:50 AM   #2
The Grand Tour
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 3,187
Thanks: 2,074
Thanked 798 Times in 600 Posts
Default Re: NCV3 Check Engine Light Code P068A

Why do you ask?
The Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
98Firebird
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 200
Thanks: 40
Thanked 235 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: NCV3 Check Engine Light Code P068A

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseejames View Post
[COLOR="Black"[/B][/COLOR]Have a low mileage (25000) 2013 2500 and Check Engine Light came on. Diagnostic code "P068A - ECM/PCM Power Relay De-Energized Performance -Too Early." We are 120 miles from dealer who is non-committal about whether or not it is safe to drive. Other than the Check engine light there are no obvious problems in driving it. Does anyone have experience with this issue?
Has the battery been ran low/dead recently? This is one of the faults that typically shows up when the main vehicle battery has been ran low/dead.
98Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 98Firebird For This Useful Post:
Bobnoxious (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
Bobnoxious
 
Bobnoxious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Noxville, Noxious
Posts: 15,265
Thanks: 8,589
Thanked 5,426 Times in 3,901 Posts
Default Re: NCV3 Check Engine Light Code P068A

No experience with your particular issue. However, many things can trigger a CEL, like a sensor briefly out of its HAPPY ZONE.

Absence of discernible performance issues, I would continue to operate the vehicle continuously on the highway for a couple of hours. This will allow On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) to poll and crunch sensor data. If everything is OK, the CEL should self-extinguish. If it's really important, the vehicle will default to Limp Home Mode.

Meanwhile, based on vehicles age, have your battery load tested. Technically, once a battery falls below 50% state of charge, it's toast. When's the last time you cleaned your battery posts and cable terminals?

Last edited by Bobnoxious; 07-11-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #5
Bobnoxious
 
Bobnoxious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Noxville, Noxious
Posts: 15,265
Thanks: 8,589
Thanked 5,426 Times in 3,901 Posts
Default Re: NCV3 Check Engine Light Code P068A

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Tour View Post
Why do you ask?
My apologies folks, TGT is a patient of mine and he keeps slipping away from his padded cell, goes to the library computer to troll on the Sprinter forum. I'll order a thorazine IV drip.
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #6
The Grand Tour
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 3,187
Thanks: 2,074
Thanked 798 Times in 600 Posts
Default Re: NCV3 Check Engine Light Code P068A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxious View Post
My apologies folks, TGT is a patient of mine and he keeps slipping away from his padded cell, goes to the library computer to troll on the Sprinter forum. I'll order a thorazine IV drip.
You drinking again, Bob?

I'm trying to help the guy. The question he asked, is a survey of how many people have ever had symptoms like his, which is meaningless- there are any number of possible causes for his symptoms.

I suspect that what he's REALLY looking for, is information that would be helpful Correcting the Cause of his Concern. And that would involve an entirely different question.

As always, there are four steps to vehicle repair: Complaint, Cause, Correction, and Confirmation. He's done an okay job of articulating his Complaint: a code with no other symptoms. The next step would be to determine the Cause, which will require diagnosis, not internet polling.

Last edited by The Grand Tour; 07-11-2019 at 08:04 PM.
The Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #7
Bobnoxious
 
Bobnoxious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Noxville, Noxious
Posts: 15,265
Thanks: 8,589
Thanked 5,426 Times in 3,901 Posts
Default Re: NCV3 Check Engine Light Code P068A

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Tour View Post
You drinking again, Bob?

I'm trying to help the guy. The question he asked, is a survey of how many people have ever had symptoms like his, which is meaningless- there are any number of possible causes for his symptoms.

I suspect that what he's REALLY looking for, is information that would be helpful Correcting the Cause of his Concern. And that would involve an entirely different question.

As always, there are four steps to vehicle repair: Complaint, Cause, Correction, and Confirmation. He's done an okay job of articulating his Complaint: a code with no other symptoms. The next step would be to determine the Cause, which will require diagnosis, not internet polling.
Absence any performance issues, it may be a phantom code.
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:35 PM   #8
tallahasseejames
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: NCV3 Check Engine Light Code P068A

Thanks for everyone's input. We were able to drive it to the dealer in Tallahasse without a problem. All the error codes were related to upstream and downstream NOX sensors. What is unbelievable is that they are charging $1500 to replace the two sensors!
tallahasseejames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tallahasseejames For This Useful Post:
irvingj (07-12-2019), The Grand Tour (07-11-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 12:43 AM   #9
irvingj
2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Etna, NH
Posts: 1,046
Thanks: 843
Thanked 431 Times in 300 Posts
Default Re: NCV3 Check Engine Light Code P068A

See if the techs will tell you which version of the NOx sensors you had in there. Bet they were version 2. Too bad it's not covered under warranty... or is it? (Emission components?)
__________________
2015 RT SS Agile, 3.0 V-6
irvingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #10
lindenengineering
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Littleton Colorado
Posts: 12,635
Thanks: 3,110
Thanked 10,610 Times in 5,388 Posts
Default Re: NCV3 Check Engine Light Code P068A

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseejames View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. We were able to drive it to the dealer in Tallahasse without a problem. All the error codes were related to upstream and downstream NOX sensors. What is unbelievable is that they are charging $1500 to replace the two sensors!
Are you sure that is all the did, but in any case job billing breakdown goes :-
NOx sensors are $450 a pop retail. $900
IF they spin out easily the labor time is 1,5 hours (dealer charge guestimate ) $263

Scan diagnosis prior to approval of the work Say $175(might waive that)
SCN code in $175 & test.
Total $1513 plus tax

Dennis
lindenengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
Tomsprinter319 (10-30-2019)

Tags
check engine light, ncv3

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.