Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Nonrelated Sprinter things to say? This is the place to be (although certain threads that are politically or religiously charged will be moved to the DZ).
SubForums: Health The Funnies The Danger Zone

Old 07-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #1
Nate.evans

Default Itís now illegal to do certain repairs to your Sprinter in your own garage.

https://speedsociety.com/california-...garage-illegal

Well....I didnít see that coming....

On a side note, I hope all you guys who are so diligently following the laws for emissions also follow these...
Old 07-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #2
Matt Foley

Default Re: Itís now illegal to do certain repairs to your Sprinter in your own garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.evans View Post
On a side note, I hope all you guys who are so diligently following the laws for emissions also follow these...
Those douchebags are too busy trying to get people's children taken away by the state for riding ebikes.
Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #3
avanti
2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4

Thanked 3,132 Times in 1,914 Posts
Default Re: Itís now illegal to do certain repairs to your Sprinter in your own garage.

This is ONE county in CA.

Obviously the intent is to crack down on illegal garage businesses in residential areas. As is typical with non-standard laws and regulations in local constituencies, the drafting of the law was an amateur hour effort.

You guys who think that all government should be local and that federal bureaucracies employing career professionals are evil should get used to this kind of thing.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avanti For This Useful Post:
DCgasman (07-09-2019), Midwestdrifter (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 07:18 PM   #4
Shawn182

Damn hippies..trying to prevent good standing citizens from piling cars in their yard while running an illegal auto repair business and dumping oil and chemicals down the storm drains and into the creeks. The nerve of some people! This is AMERICA!

While I agree it is poorly worded legislation...you really think they are worried about you changing brake pads on your Sprinter? Get a grip.
Shawn182 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shawn182 For This Useful Post:
avanti (07-08-2019), Bobnoxious (07-08-2019), The Grand Tour (07-09-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 07:23 PM   #5
Bobnoxious

Thanked 6,042 Times in 4,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.evans View Post
https://speedsociety.com/california-...garage-illegal

Well....I didnít see that coming....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Those douchebags are too busy trying to get people's children taken away by the state for riding ebikes.
Gentleman...calm yourselves before you soak your Depends or Pull Ups.

One of many reasons I won't live in suburbia and have a 6-foot blockwall with opaque steel gates.

Those laws of already been on the books for years in Los Angeles county and usually complaint driven. The result of the flood of illegal immigrants setting-up cottage industries in residential zones. One example, never ending yard sales. Now restricted, max two annually.

The Mexican herd across the street from my grandmother's had a backyard wrought iron fence fabricating business. Quite annoying to hear grinding and banging 24-seven. And, since the local officials were Mexican, they exhibited no interest enforcing code violations. Result, plummeting home value.

These laws are needed to prevent the Billybobs and Humbertos of the world from creating barrios and ghettos. See Broken Window theory for details. Every citizen has a duty to follow all laws.
Bobnoxious is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobnoxious For This Useful Post:
Sprinter SS (07-09-2019), The Grand Tour (07-09-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 07:42 PM   #6
hoosierrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxious View Post
Gentleman...calm yourselves before you soak your Depends or Pull Ups.

One of many reasons I won't live in suburbia and have a 6-foot blockwall with opaque steel gates.

Those laws of already been on the books for years in Los Angeles county and usually complaint driven. The result of the flood of illegal immigrants setting-up cottage industries in residential zones. One example, never ending yard sales. Now restricted, max two annually.

The Mexican herd across the street from my grandmother's had a backyard wrought iron fence fabricating business. Quite annoying to hear grinding and banging 24-seven. And, since the local officials were Mexican, they exhibited no interest enforcing code violations. Result, plummeting home value.

These laws are needed to prevent the Billybobs and Humbertos of the world from creating barrios and ghettos. See Broken Window theory for details. Every citizen has a duty to follow all laws.
Certainly in the situation that you describe, I agree, but if is your personal vehicle (not part of the rest of the clan :) ) you should be able to do needed repairs. The County where I live in Florida restricts major repairs in your driveway (no problem in an enclosed garage). I don't even live in the City limits but it is an ordnance that can be enforced. So far I have not been cited for R & Ring transmission and 1 engine swap out, but I work quickly and don't have neighbors that complain. Those who leave a disassembled vehicle in plain site over several days or weeks are the ones they target. California... maybe not so much. They might detect the first twist of a wrench.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:51 PM   #7
Boxster1971
2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext

There is nothing unique about that Sacramento Country restriction on auto repair, other than minor work. I think you will find the same zoning codes in many residential areas. Certainly these restrictions are in most HOA rules.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boxster1971 For This Useful Post:
BrennWagon (07-08-2019), The Grand Tour (07-09-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:00 PM   #8
Bobnoxious

Thanked 6,042 Times in 4,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
Certainly in the situation that you describe, I agree, but if is your personal vehicle (not part of the rest of the clan :) ) you should be able to do needed repairs. The County where I live in Florida restricts major repairs in your driveway (no problem in an enclosed garage). I don't even live in the City limits but it is an ordnance that can be enforced. So far I have not been cited for R & Ring transmission and 1 engine swap out, but I work quickly and don't have neighbors that complain. Those who leave a disassembled vehicle in plain site over several days or weeks are the ones they target. California... maybe not so much. They might detect the first twist of a wrench.
What you exhibit is consideration for others by not making a colossal mess and banging at 3 o'clock in the am. My step-son an example.

Not intending to be braggadocio's But... I've had to deal with tens of thousands of different personalities in a predatory, powder keg environment commonly referred to as prison. The one common denominator I observed was, among other personality disorders, a lack of consideration and respect towards peace and tranquility of others, exasperated by self-centered, selfish, and zero introspection. I always remain cognizant of the peace and tranquility of others. For example, while at a motel, I will not slam my car door. However, the majority of others do not share in this consideration. How inconsiderate.
Bobnoxious is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bobnoxious For This Useful Post:
CJPJ (07-12-2019), DCgasman (07-09-2019), desertdog (07-10-2019), hoosierrun (07-08-2019), The Grand Tour (07-09-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:17 PM   #9
CJPJ
2008 3500 170"ext. 3.0 V6

Thanked 2,268 Times in 1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
This is ONE county in CA.
Obviously the intent is to crack down on illegal garage businesses in residential areas. As is typical with non-standard laws and regulations in local constituencies, the drafting of the law was an amateur hour effort.

You guys who think that all government should be local and that federal bureaucracies employing career professionals are evil should get used to this kind of thing.
CJPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CJPJ For This Useful Post:
Bobnoxious (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:48 PM   #10
lindenengineering

Thanked 11,291 Times in 5,737 Posts

Now ask yourselves who was Thomas Paine?
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote