Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:18 AM   #11
drouinphilippe

Default Re: Replacing differential bearings - pinion and carrier

Hi there, I'm currently rebuilding my diff too and I'm having trouble driving the yoke and front pinion bearing in! The crush sleeve sits between the two bearing races/cups right? Also, I have a shim thats about 4-5 mm thick and about 6 mm + pinions shaft diameter + 6 mm diameter (not the one the rear bearing sits on). I think that one goes next to the crush sleeve towards the rear, am I correct?

Best regards,

Phil
drouinphilippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #12
Zundfolge
1-2-4-5-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drouinphilippe View Post
Hi there, I'm currently rebuilding my diff too and I'm having trouble driving the yoke and front pinion bearing in! The crush sleeve sits between the two bearing races/cups right? Also, I have a shim thats about 4-5 mm thick and about 6 mm + pinions shaft diameter + 6 mm diameter (not the one the rear bearing sits on). I think that one goes next to the crush sleeve towards the rear, am I correct?

Best regards,

Phil
I'm not entirely understanding what you're saying about shim placement. When you disassembled, did you make absolutely damn certain that you took note of where all of the shims were? I suppose not if you're asking where they go, which may turn into a much more time consuming and complex job than an r&r if you have to play around with shims to make certain your backlash/play is all correct. If you have another shim that came off of your original assembly that would go on the pinion shaft itself, I believe it would go directly against the pinion gear, between the gear and the new inner bearing. As you wrote it above, no there is no shim that should go "next to" the crush sleeve. Pictures of what you have would be much more helpful, please post detailed pics in your other thread so we can see exactly what's going on and not guess from words...

I looked at your drawing in the other thread, and it looks right-ish to me, if I'm seeing it all correctly. You have a shim behind the inner pinion race correct? So what is this other shim you speak of?

https://nicktavasieff.smugmug.com
Zundfolge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:31 PM   #13
drouinphilippe

I just installed the thing back without the mystery shim. I read on other posts that some people didn’t have it. I felt like I was properly cursing the crush sleeve while tightening it. The shin I’m talking about is very small and goes through both bearing races, it’s therefore just a spacer for the crush sleeve. But since I feel I’m crushing the sleeve it should be fine.

I’ll let you guys know how it goes once the gasket is cured and I’ll give it a test drive. You never talk about that shim in your write up so I’m guessing you didn’t have to deal with it.
drouinphilippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:35 PM   #14
Zundfolge
1-2-4-5-3

What may have happened if there was a shim behind the crush sleeve, someone before you could have put it there to space it back so that they could re-use the sleeve - and therein may lie the reason that you had a bearing failure. Just tell me you used a new sleeve!

Old 05-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #15
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,730 Times in 4,900 Posts

The bearing preload torque is absolutely critical. You need a beam torque wrench to measure. It is very easy to over tighten. The crush sleeve cannot be reused, as the preload will be too high. The show under the pinion head is matched to that gearset, and cannot be changed. You must verify proper gear tooth contact pattern if you want the axle to work for and real mileage.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #16
Gabe Athouse

Fantastic write up! I wonder if you’d be able to slam the diff back in if the bearings were new vs used. I’m guessing the preload is higher with a new setup. Spreader might be needed then.
I wonder if the 3500 diff is substantially different than this. I know for one thing that it has studs not bolts for the wheels.
I’m considering removing my diff to straighten the housing, despite the dealings and seals being fine.

Also, I’m darn jealous when I see that yellow gear mesh paint, I had to go to 4 stores just to find anything near me and it’s “Prussian blue” which is a dark blue version which is much harder to read and should be yellow. But this type of work is no longer carried out by the normal girlie men of modern times. So, I commend you for tackling a major repair in your driveway.

Last edited by Gabe Athouse; 06-12-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Gabe Athouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:56 PM   #17
Dougflas
DAD OWNER

You should be able to find the yellow stuff from Randy’s Worldwide or order it from AUTOZONE.

You can also go to YouTube. Search for Gear box video. Then search Dana 44 carrier

Located in Beverly Hills, Fl.

Last edited by Dougflas; 06-12-2019 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Added info
Dougflas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:35 PM   #18
Zundfolge
1-2-4-5-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Athouse View Post
Fantastic write up! I wonder if you’d be able to slam the diff back in if the bearings were new vs used. I’m guessing the preload is higher with a new setup. Spreader might be needed then.
I wonder if the 3500 diff is substantially different than this. I know for one thing that it has studs not bolts for the wheels.
I’m considering removing my diff to straighten the housing, despite the dealings and seals being fine.

Also, I’m darn jealous when I see that yellow gear mesh paint, I had to go to 4 stores just to find anything near me and it’s “Prussian blue” which is a dark blue version which is much harder to read and should be yellow. But this type of work is no longer carried out by the normal girlie men of modern times. So, I commend you for tackling a major repair in your driveway.
Thanks, in terms of "slamming" it back in, I din't have much issue. A bent case is a different story though. I think you have a thread about this somewhere? If it were me I'd probably swap in a known good used unit, and throw new bearings and seals in while I was at it (it would be a dream to do it on a bench, not a F&%#ing gravel driveway!). A far as preload being higher, you're not dealing with that until you're tightening the pinion nut against the bearings and acting on the crush sleeve, I guess I'm not sure what you're referencing in that regard. But yes, there are different values to be used with new vs. used bearings. Personally I'd be using new bearings if I was in that deep. The diff rebuild kit from europarts-sd contains the fun yellow goop FWIW.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zundfolge For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (06-19-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 07:30 PM   #19
UKmtrsp

Zund,

Great post. I'm into mine as I write this. Ordered parts yesterday. Should have it apart this evening and inspected. With mine I had a howl on decel at any speed above 25 or so...very quiet under load. Evidently loose pinion bearings will allow the pinion to get sucked into the ring gear further causing a pattern mismatch and the howling. I had no really noticable shine to the old fluid. Maybe I could have gotten away with just tightening up the pinion nut, but wanted to do things right. I'll follow up with progress.
UKmtrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UKmtrsp For This Useful Post:
Zundfolge (09-28-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 05:00 AM   #20
lindenengineering

Thanked 11,295 Times in 5,738 Posts

Yellow ochre paste is best purchased from a GM agent in small tubes .
This is more accurate than Engineers blue.
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
Zundfolge (09-28-2019)