Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
bkhi

Default LED cargo lights

I recently installed LED replacement lights in place of the standard bulbs in all of my cargo lights and recently have noticed that when truck is off a very slight illumination is still present in the lights. The replacements are small panels with 16 led's on each one, only noticed it friday, installed last one a month or so ago.

I may have to go back to normal bulbs which are not as bright as these. Just have to remember where they are, cant find bulb #.
bkhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,944 Posts
Default Re: LED cargo lights

The MB part number for the factory, festoon bulbs is: N000000004255

They are described as "15w 12v" bulbs.

They look like this:

15w12v.jpg

In the parts catalog, they look like this (number 23):

5910425.jpg

I think I found suitable bulbs at a marine supply store once. Most auto parts retailers in Seattle have a suitable replacement on the shelves.

-Jon

US Tech info: http://www.sprintertekinfo.com
US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Americans may learn to use MB technical resources and parts information here:
http://www.sprintertekinfo.com/epcdemo/start.swf
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
hulagun
Haulin' A** since 1974

The LEDs can't light up unless there is some current available. You may want to do some testing before you toss them out.

Test your sockets using a good multimeter to see if there is current to the socket when the van ignition is switched off. You will likely find power flowing which may indicate door switches are the culprit.

Also test the lamp sockets with the cargo lamp switch set to off.

Let us know what you find! And could you tell us where you got the LEDs?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
bkhi

I used these
http://www.oznium.com/rigid-5mm-led-dome

I will check voltage this week
Old 10-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Peter_C

Most are switched on the ground side, and always have 12 volts applied to them (Assuming a door switch is used). Check the ground side for voltage with the doors closed.
Peter_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,782 Times in 2,028 Posts

...not true... the grounds all go to ground... the power to each individual bulb comes from a central unit run by the ecm.
OrioN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #7
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,835 Times in 9,406 Posts

Don't the NCV3 interior lights have some sort of fade or dimming control designed into the circuitry? I don't believe that it is a simple 12 volt positive to door switch negative circuit. LED's take very little current to glow dimly. There may be something in the curcuit design (capacitive maybe?) that supplies just enough current at all times. The tungsten filament lamps would bleed that off without being noticed. It may only take a fairly high resistance loading resistor across the LED arrays to shunt that current away. FWIW. vic

Edit: Oops. Orion beat me to it.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
jdcaples (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #8
bkhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Don't the NCV3 interior lights have some sort of fade or dimming control designed into the circuitry? I don't believe that it is a simple 12 volt positive to door switch negative circuit. LED's take very little current to glow dimly. There may be something in the curcuit design (capacitive maybe?) that supplies just enough current at all times. The tungsten filament lamps would bleed that off without being noticed. It may only take a fairly high resistance loading resistor across the LED arrays to shunt that current away. FWIW. vic

Edit: Oops. Orion beat me to it.
That could be why I only noticed it after replacing the last one, I will try to install an old bulb and see what happens.

The lights do dimm off not just quickly shut off
Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
katkak

Mine has a PIR in the load bay, if there has been no movement in there for about 10minutes the lights dims out but walk back in and the lights come back on. Do all newer sprinters have this?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
Walter Clark

I installed these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o03_s00_i00

They do appear to dim fairly suddenly when the Sprinter controller fades the interior lights because they have internal voltage regulation and operate with a consistent brightness down to 10V then quickly go to off below that. The show noting of the off "glow" mentioned with others. They are bright as the stock 15W, about the same color temp as those incandescent lamps, and as I said they do not have any residual ON problem when they should be of and they do not cause any "bulb out" issues in the Sprinter.

One of the advantages to a regulated LED light is that it is has the same brightness over the entire range of vehicle voltage usually 12.5-14.2V and they are not damaged by use at 14V unlike some cheap ones made for "12V". I see a numebr of these bulbs that are just a string of smaller 1.2V LEDS in series with a resistor to set the total current for whatever voltage they assumed from the vehicle. I have found such LED produce very different light depending on the supply voltage.

Note, the stock festoon bulb is closer to 39mm long but the lamp holder/contact tabs are easily re-bent in the MB dome light to fit and hold them.

Last edited by Walter Clark; 10-17-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Walter Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walter Clark For This Useful Post:
hulagun (10-16-2012), TTMartin (07-24-2018)