Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Nonrelated Sprinter things to say? This is the place to be (although certain threads that are politically or religiously charged will be moved to the DZ).
SubForums: Health The Funnies The Danger Zone

Old 06-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #41
rollerbearing

Thanked 1,122 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: Incredible deal from AT&T - Unlimited data for $20/month

Thanks for bring this to everyone's attention smiller! I got mine a couple of weeks ago. Here's what I went through. Ordered it three times online and ATT said each time that it was in stock and that they were preparing my order. Then a day or two later they cancelled the orders - saying they are not able to establish my identity. This is in spite of supplying my Social for the credit check and having been a long time ATT customer (10+ years). Finally went to the ATT store and after a great deal of explaining and showing them print outs etc. they got one ordered with a 1GB data cap. The retail stores have no knowledge of this product. When I received the item I took it back to the store along with all those print outs and the magic ATT connected car customer service phone number. That phone number opens all the doors and the local reps were finally able to configue the Mobely and establish the unlimited $20 plan. It still took them better than 45 minutes to complete the process.

The thing works great so far with an external power supply. After more experience with it I may consider cancelling home DSL & Phone Line. Was it worth it? Yes, for my purposes it very much was. But be prepared to work a bit to make it happen. Again, thanks smiller!

Magic door opening phone number: 866-595-1222

Useful link:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att...or-zte-mobley/

Last edited by rollerbearing; 06-26-2017 at 05:59 PM.
rollerbearing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rollerbearing For This Useful Post:
sprint2freedom (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #42
smiller
2008 View J (NCV3 3500)

Thanked 3,206 Times in 1,921 Posts

Sometimes it can be a struggle, sometimes you are setup and out in ten minutes, luck of the person you draw. Online is simplest and usually works well (just a few clicks for me and done) but I have heard of some having the 'not able to establish identity' problem (it seems that if anything doesn't match up during the provisioning process they kick it to a manual verification.) If ordering in-store use the phrase "Connected Car Standalone plan" as that will differentiate it from adding a connected car device to an existing plan, which is what some agents erroneously assume and then you go down the wrong path. If the agent knows what they are doing then it will be easy, but alas that isn't always the case.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #43
sprint2freedom
2008 NCV3 170ext

Hmm.. showing out of stock again. I should have jumped on this when it was hot!
sprint2freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:58 PM   #44
sprint2freedom
2008 NCV3 170ext

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint2freedom View Post
Hmm.. showing out of stock again. I should have jumped on this when it was hot!
In case others are interested, it's back in stock again! I managed to get an order placed..

Last edited by sprint2freedom; 07-11-2017 at 07:09 PM.
sprint2freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:50 PM   #45
Geriakt
2017 View 24J

I got my Mobley this past week with the $20 a month unlimited plan. Ordered online and had it in one day. Once you plug it in to power with the SIM in it the data plan clock starts clicking.
I bought an external power supply cord with a USB end. This allows me to power it from any USB power block, USB cigarette lighter power, or USB 110 volt AC power plug. No messing with the OBD port. The Mobley has a hidden micro USB port that you can connect a cable to tether it to any ASUS home router with a USB port and proper 3G/4G modem set up software. I used it with my ASUS home router to provide internet service to my house as well.
The best data speed I can get with ATT 4G data is 17 mbps download and 6 mbps upload in my house and the same driving in my car. Compaired to my Verizon 4G DATA I get 30-40 mbps down and 17 mbps up. So I think Verizon is faster.
I am sure with what I get from ATT I will be able to stream Netflix on the road.
Tom
Geriakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:07 AM   #46
grapegrower

I have an AT&T Mobley and the download speed varies from place to place. Sometimes I get 30 to 40 mbs, and sometimes only 1 mbs. I live in a rural area and seldom get more than 1.5 mbs at my home location. I bought because I thought it would be fast enough to stream videos.
No luck at home. So far, the only high speeds I get are in major metropolitan areas, but not on the highway.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:26 AM   #47
smiller
2008 View J (NCV3 3500)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geriakt View Post
The best data speed I can get with ATT 4G data is 17 mbps download and 6 mbps upload in my house and the same driving in my car. Compaired to my Verizon 4G DATA I get 30-40 mbps down and 17 mbps up. So I think Verizon is faster.
I am sure with what I get from ATT I will be able to stream Netflix on the road.
It's difficult to compare cellular data speeds because quality of service is so highly dependent on location, and even time of day (tower loading.) Because of this anecdotal reports don't mean much, but several organizations exist that do at least try to come up with a grading process, however even that varies according to location (one carrier ranks best in one city, another in another.) So sometimes Verizon is best, sometimes AT&T, and in some cites T-Mobile beats them both.

17 mbps is plenty for even 1080p HD, but for those on the AT&T Connected Car program it should be noted that AT&T has a feature called 'Stream Saver' that throttles video to about 4 mbps (enough for 720p.) This is because most users don't understand the huge amount of data streaming HD video can consume and the feature is there so that the kids don't soak up the full data allotment in a week watching SpongeBob SquarePants in 4K HD in the back seat. But the Stream Saver feature can be turned off if desired on your account page on the myAT&T web site.

Last edited by smiller; 07-21-2017 at 03:31 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to smiller For This Useful Post:
Geriakt (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 05:10 AM   #48
glasseye

Thanked 1,868 Times in 1,008 Posts

Anyone have a valid link to purchase this? ATT site wants you to sign up for a two year plan and the device is free. I want to purchase one and go month to month. Best Buy and Amazon show this as unavailable.

"Travels With Frito" Global travels by van, motorcycle and other www.petercmclennan.com

Absent this forum, I'd never have bought a Sprinter.
glasseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #49
smiller
2008 View J (NCV3 3500)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasseye View Post
Anyone have a valid link to purchase this? ATT site wants you to sign up for a two year plan and the device is free. I want to purchase one and go month to month. Best Buy and Amazon show this as unavailable.
You can use the AT&T link in the last paragraph of the OP. Follow the instructions and you can select either a 2-year contract or the month-to-month plan.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #50
glasseye

Thanked 1,868 Times in 1,008 Posts

Sigh. ATT won't let me buy one. I need a USA billing address on my credit card. Perhaps I can buy on in person at an ATT store. Too good to be true.

"Travels With Frito" Global travels by van, motorcycle and other www.petercmclennan.com

Absent this forum, I'd never have bought a Sprinter.
glasseye is offline   Reply With Quote