Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:18 AM   #141
Sparkx
2007 Frghtlnr Sprinter

Default Re: NCV3 Identification, Miles, Months and Opinion

I bought my 2007 170 hightop about a year ago with 164,000 miles. I Love It. Maybe a little to much according to my wife. I'm a carpenter and standing up in back is priceless. I never did my own automotive work but with the Sprinter I'm learning to do what ever I can (the savings are more than I can make cutting wood). I have done an oil change, transmission service, air, cabin, and fuel filter replacement just because I didn't know the history. And I cleaned the egr when it went into lhm. All with the help of this forum. I don't drive highway miles and usually work within 5-6 miles from home so the egr will be cleaned regularly. Haven't been to the dealer service department yet but I get my parts there. Its all good .
Old 04-03-2017, 12:47 AM   #142
bkhi

MIne is the biggest piece of **** I have ever owned, what a mistake to buy one. Terrible reliability, every time it is towed in for service it takes a week before I get it back. Latest issue is it shuts off at 60 mph on route 80, dealer said it was turbo inlet which was replaced 4 times before. No codes thrown unlike previous 4 times.
So far- 3 EGR valves, 8 glow plugs, 2 nox sensors, 22 various light bulbs, 5 turbo inlet rings, 3 software updates, 2 def tanks, 8 gold ball sized rust areas, 1 def heater, 1 other sensor whose names escapes me. It now has 99k miles in 5 1/2 years and I don't dare drive it again.
Anything has to be better than a sprinter
flman (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #143
flman
Triggering Snowflakes

Thanked 5,526 Times in 4,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkhi View Post
MIne is the biggest piece of **** I have ever owned, what a mistake to buy one. Terrible reliability, every time it is towed in for service it takes a week before I get it back. Latest issue is it shuts off at 60 mph on route 80, dealer said it was turbo inlet which was replaced 4 times before. No codes thrown unlike previous 4 times.
So far- 3 EGR valves, 8 glow plugs, 2 nox sensors, 22 various light bulbs, 5 turbo inlet rings, 3 software updates, 2 def tanks, 8 gold ball sized rust areas, 1 def heater, 1 other sensor whose names escapes me. It now has 99k miles in 5 1/2 years and I don't dare drive it again.
Anything has to be better than a sprinter
All the same no reliability, only my 2010 had its engine grenade at 52K, and if you search the site for engine seizure, you will find it is quite common in the V6.
flman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:24 AM   #144
jimmiejoe
2500 High Roof 144" WB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiejoe View Post
I now have 20k miles and completed the second service. The lifetime MPG is 18.9 with a peak of 22MPG. The Continental CrossContact Winter tires, which have never been rotated and run year round, are wearing out in the rear due to over inflation per the tire card setting of 70psi. The front tires appear to be wearing well at the tire card setting of 47, however the outside edge is wearing faster due to the chamber which is still factory set for running at a higher load. If the rear tires were operated at 47psi also, I probably could get 30-40k miles out of the tires. Not bad for a winter tire.
I rotated the tires 1 time front to back and back to front. The tires are at 30,000, and the passenger side is beyond the wear out limit in the center tread while the drivers side is approaching the wear out limit. Seems the extra weight on the drivers side is helping the tire wear longer while the passenger side has less weight. The extra weight on the drivers side is the driver and the fuel, plus the 1st row seat which is positioned more to the drivers side due to the needed clearance for the isle by the sliding door, thus any passengers add weight to the drivers side before the passenger side.
PC2 Contractor Package
PT1 Trailer Hitch Package
701 Pebble Gray
VU9 Leatherette black
D03 Roof -High
ES7 AUX-IN Interface
FR8 Rear Veiw Camera
FY1 Security Alarm
H21 Windshield - W/Filter Band
LD0 Overhead Cntrl Panel w/2Lamps
L05 Daytime Running Lamps
L16 Fog Lamps
RM1 Tires Mud & Snow
jimmiejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:28 AM   #145
Electrician 2

Bought new in 2008 NCV3 V6 non-DEF. 115,000 miles. Ran as my electrical contracting van from 0-105k. Now my camper/recreation vehicle.

Early in life EGR valves (x2)
Steering column lock replacement
Glow plugs x1 set
Pins that hold the rear axle to the leaf springs sheared a while back
Sliding door track front bolt pulled from body recently
Brakes x3 sets
Tires x3 sets

Running a little Stanadyne diesel fuel cleaner with every tank (this has since cleared up engine running issues and I believe has kept the emissions system happy). Very regular engine and trans service. Knock on wood she'll keep going to 500k.

I love this Van.

Last edited by Electrician 2; 07-27-2017 at 04:38 AM.
Electrician 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Electrician 2 For This Useful Post:
gromer (01-08-2018), slem (07-28-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #146
R44KDEN

We bought a new 2016 Sprinter passenger 170, 2500 with 4 cylinder donk. Vehicle went into production Dec 2016 and in 10 months, rig has done 90K miles. We run a transport business in Colorado. Only issue was DEF system needed to be replaced twice (under warranty) and pain in the butt roof leak via the AC (had to be fixed twice). Dealer fixed this despite the rig technically being out of warranty. We change oil every 5K, change air filters every 10K, have put new rotors and pads all round, and transmission flush at 70K (made a huge difference).

We run a diesel fuel additive every tank, which also makes a difference. Rig is running at altitude and quality of diesel here sucks. Rig also runs hard from early morning to late at night and is sitting on 70mph for most of the day. Does very little stop start miles, mostly highway miles.

Couldnt be happier with it. About to buy another one, but a 2013 6-cylinder with very high miles.
R44KDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R44KDEN For This Useful Post:
Flagster (11-06-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #147
hinesy

2015 170E high road,4 cyl,7speed, 48000 miles reliable well yes never left me stranded! has a vibration since 2500 miles 2 dealers couldn't fix it, 1 steering shaft, 1 steering rack 2 DPFs, 3 DPF brackets, all under warranty but the aggravation sucks! not happy with paint almost 3 years old now and paint is dull. I am a carpenter and use my van as a tool box it does well at carrying tools and materials, can't beat the fuel economy, I am a big German guy and have now and previously owned 9 German cars. Mercedes is behind on the end user and small business user of their vehicle. Dissatisfied with my van have had several 144" rentals from dealer and like them, I got a lemon and Mercedes won't help!
hinesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:43 PM   #148
Flagster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R44KDEN View Post
We bought a new 2016 Sprinter passenger 170, 2500 with 4 cylinder donk. Vehicle went into production Dec 2016 and in 10 months, rig has done 90K miles. We run a transport business in Colorado. Only issue was DEF system needed to be replaced twice (under warranty) and pain in the butt roof leak via the AC (had to be fixed twice). Dealer fixed this despite the rig technically being out of warranty. We change oil every 5K, change air filters every 10K, have put new rotors and pads all round, and transmission flush at 70K (made a huge difference).

We run a diesel fuel additive every tank, which also makes a difference. Rig is running at altitude and quality of diesel here sucks. Rig also runs hard from early morning to late at night and is sitting on 70mph for most of the day. Does very little stop start miles, mostly highway miles.

Couldnt be happier with it. About to buy another one, but a 2013 6-cylinder with very high miles.
What fuel additive are you running? Thanks
Flagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:51 PM   #149
Flagster

We have a 144" 4x4 2015 we bought new in 11/2015...

33,000 miles in just under two years

No stranding issues other than a cooked battery this past summer outside SLC which required towing to Farmington MB dealer...no batteries available for 3-4 days from Germany so had to put in a NAPA branded replacement...frustrating but dealer accommodated us fairly quickly last minute and had us one our way in less than 5 hours...

Changing oil every 5-10K miles...air filter every 5-10K as we live on a very dusty road and AZ is dusty...Keeping DEF topped off with truck stop filling stations...

Remote service/towing still scares me when we are out in the middle of Utah or ID but until I get the dreaded LHM I'm not stressing too bad...

Best vehicle I've ever had for travelling/eating up highway miles without a sore back and stealth camping. We have spent hundreds of nights in downtowns Seattle, Portland, Santa Cruz, Tucson...only time we got roused by the police was in Moab last week haha...accidentally parked in front of the police station.
Flagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #150
thedaveeye

I have a 2010 high top 170 wb that I have converted into very nice motor home. Has 174,000 miles and my biggest problem has been the DEF systems, sensors, pumps, etc. Very nice ride and exceptional fuel mileage, 19-24 mpg. This is my fifth van or bus conversion and it is my most usable, back door and double beds make it easy to haul items, plywood, 16ft boards, bicycles, and even my big Boulevard, motorcycle. My only complaint is cost of maintenance at dealership. I now have a German mechanic and I am much happier.
good luck to all, Dave
thedaveeye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thedaveeye For This Useful Post:
slem (02-28-2018)