Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > The Competition

The Competition Discussion of other vehicles similar to the Sprinter; Transit, Promaster, etc.
SubForum: Write-Ups

Old 10-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #11
CheckMax

Default Re: 2016 MB Metris (Vito) coming to USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wblynch View Post
Some people, like me, prefer the Mercedes ownership experience. I will never buy a Toyota and only a Honda if there isn't a Mercedes alternative. Even then I'd more likely go with an American brand.

I do hope no one buys the Metris though, so I can get a deep discount on it! :)
Honda Odyssey is made in Alabama...http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf...n_alabama.html
CheckMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:02 PM   #12
mojogoat

Lets see, the honda rides better,quieter, better MPG,more HP accelerates and stops better, costs less, reliable, plenty of service departments.
What is this "Mercedes experience" I've only owned one Mercedes and the maintenance and service costs were ridiculous, better coffee and couches but I want a reliable vehicle I don't have to take in for repair no matter the better coffee and atmosphere.
mojogoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mojogoat For This Useful Post:
angolaron (10-31-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 01:04 PM   #13
photogravity
Former Sprinter Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojogoat View Post
Lets see, the honda rides better,quieter, better MPG,more HP accelerates and stops better, costs less, reliable, plenty of service departments.
What is this "Mercedes experience" I've only owned one Mercedes and the maintenance and service costs were ridiculous, better coffee and couches but I want a reliable vehicle I don't have to take in for repair no matter the better coffee and atmosphere.
For us guys who wrench on our vehicles, the MB experience is way down the list. Besides the Sprinter, I own an E320 Bluetec but have never had any work done on it there.
2007 W251 R320 CDI
2013 Chevrolet Volt (Gen 1)
photogravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:14 AM   #14
mercedesfans

Haha! The "Mercedes Experience(tm)"! Is that spoken in the same intonation and insinuations and invocations as "The VW Experience(tm)".

The gall of the Germans. Remember, they pulled "The Car" from the advertising circles.
mercedesfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:14 AM   #15
pilotarix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp View Post
No thanks MB! Only a rear wheel driven gasoline engine for North America....?!
Yep, this is dead on.

I spent the first half of my life in Germany and I always loved my VW Bus. Coming to the US almost 7 years ago I had to realize that there is no VW Eurovan on the US market anymore, other than very old ones.
Hence I was very excited when I heard that MB will bring the V-Class (official Metris name in Germany) to the US market because this "Van" is pretty similar in size to the VW Bus (Eurovan).

https://youtu.be/tjy9j2FNwfk

https://youtu.be/ijt8Vev0UaY

However, when I had been in Germany last summer I went to a MB dealer and looked at the V-Class in detail. Disappointing, seats, seating position and the quality of the interior seemed not to compete with the modern VW Bus. Back in the US I called my MB dealer and asked when to expect the Metris and what options will be available on the US market. Again, disappointing... no 4wd no diesel and almost nothing from the interior options you can choose in Germany and Europe.
Heck ... why?
Especially the no diesel and no 4wd made this car a "no go" for me.
But the checking the metris on the MB commercial vehicle webpage there was a video that compared the Sprinter and the Metris... and guess what the Sprinter had all I want .... so I got a Sprinter.

Unlike others I do not look for the MB experience.. I look for a good car and so far I am very happy with my ML 320 AWD bluetec which never had a problem so far. I love the way it drives. Last year we replaced the wives car with a brand new Toyota Highlander ... what a PIA... it drives like a piece of concrete it beeps and blinks like crazy, the leather seats already looking bad, the dashboard squeeks, the automatic hatch sometimes opens sometimes not, seems to depend a little bit on the moon phase, and so on. The moment I switch from the Highlander to the ML are the moments when I enjoy the "MB experience".
BTW.. the difference between the Metris and the Honda Odysse is, I would have no problem to go 120 miles /h with the Metris (sure-only if it would be allowed), with the Odysse I would probably get my pants wet....
pilotarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:34 PM   #16
Boogieman
Simple Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotarix View Post

However, when I had been in Germany last summer I went to a MB dealer and looked at the V-Class in detail. Disappointing, seats, seating position and the quality of the interior seemed not to compete with the modern VW Bus. Back in the US I called my MB dealer and asked when to expect the Metris and what options will be available on the US market. Again, disappointing... no 4wd no diesel and almost nothing from the interior options you can choose in Germany and Europe.
Heck ... why?
Especially the no diesel and no 4wd made this car a "no go" for me.
well, mainly because of US-Car pricing . . the Metris starts in the US at 29k$ and ppl. already call it expensive . . and even fitted with all the extras you will be under 40k$ . . im Germany. the cheapest V-Class Passenger van (no options at all) you can buy costs an easy 43k Euro ( 47k $) . . and ppl. in Europe are ready and willing to pay up to 75k$ for a Minivan . . that's just not happening in the USor at least not in numbers worth mentioning . . Mercedes think that there is just a very limited Market for this van and there's just not enough profit . . so bringing all the options and engines you have to invest a lot of money into adapting to all the US-regulations . . and bringing a Diesel is even more expensive . . it's just not worth it . . in Europe there are many versions and variations of European cars you can't have in the US . . exactly because of those reasons .

Last edited by Boogieman; 02-04-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Boogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #17
ChrisP-1

I'm considering one to replace my wife's aging 2002 Eurovan but it's a tough pill to swallow. A small Turbo diesel like in my 2014 sprinter would make me really want the Metris. Not impressed with a turbo gas 4-cyl. MB needs to take a page out of Toyota/Honda's book when it comes to packaging options. You go to a Toyota lot and they have 30+ Siennas lined up with a range of options. MB Metris line up looks like the dealers throw darts at a dartboard. Their inventory has odd combinations of options. Not feeling it. If I had a local Eurovan guy I could trust I'd put him on the payroll and keep my Eurovan for another couple years.
ChrisP-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #18
mojogoat

We just bought a new Odessy last year, it was a toss up between the toyota, the honda leather looked better and the mpg (28) tipped the scales. I'm averaging 27-28mpg driving it easy. Got $8500 off sticker waiting till August when the 2016's rolled out. No regrets.
mojogoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:33 AM   #19
Steven W Artz

Im looking at the passenger metris where I would remove the middle and move up the three person seat to use the rear space for "stuff". Looking at both the Sienna and Odyssey, neither has the useable space the metris does. Nor is the space as accessible in them as in the Metris, at least in my opinion.

Here gas is selling for 2.40 and diesel for 2.66 so a 10 percent increase. IF the gas engine gets 20 amd the diesel sprinter gets 22 the cost per mile is equivalent. And gas is much more readily available. The downside is the availability and the fact they wont/dont want to deal on the vehicles.

More than likely I'll move on with a sprinter "worker" as ot gives my pretty much all i need.
Steven W Artz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:56 AM   #20
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Thanked 2,525 Times in 1,638 Posts

I talked to a fellow from Daimler during the West Sprinter Fest, they had 2 Metrises there. Apparently there is a plan to sell a camper van with pop up roof which is currently in engineering hands. No details but after my story of 1977 $7K for a Volvo or Westfalia, 1985 $20K Volvo and Westfalia and todays $50K Volvo and Westfalia missing in action he said that it would about $50K.

Time will tell, some good marketing will be needed, my daughter remembers our Westfalias but her friends, without that family experience, have no clue.

George.

https://goo.gl/photos/2NCR3teXLSwNYSwN8
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeRa For This Useful Post:
SiennaGuy (06-08-2016)