Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Pictures & Videos

Pictures & Videos Sprinter Pictures & Videos

Old 08-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #1
miskolci

Default Arctic Circle 2019

Arctic Circle 2019
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190611_163147.jpg (98.3 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg 20190611_141222_2.jpg (75.4 KB, 153 views)
miskolci is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miskolci For This Useful Post:
BrennWagon (08-17-2019), downunder (08-18-2019), Surveillance Van (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #2
hoosierrun

Default Re: Arctic Circle 2019

Alaska or Canada? We did the Canada road last year. Went all the way to the Arctic Ocean. My RV looked almost that dirty. Risky trips if you ever break down.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:33 AM   #3
glasseye

Thanked 1,775 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miskolci View Post
Arctic Circle 2019
Good on ya! That's a heck of a long way from Florida.

"Travels With Frito" Global travels by van, motorcycle and other www.petercmclennan.com

Absent this forum, I'd never have bought a Sprinter.
glasseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:16 AM   #4
jackbombay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
Alaska or Canada? .
That is Alaska for sure.
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jackbombay For This Useful Post:
miskolci (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
Mickyfin

The Artic Circle will be my first port of call once my conversion is completed.

Lived in Finland for almost 12 years now, and never seen the Northern Lights in all that time.

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
miskolci

The whole journey take 6 weeks and 12470 miles
miskolci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #7
jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com

This past late March I and an old love from decades ago flew up to Yellowknife, NWT, Canada for just the purpose to see the Aurora Borealis. It has been a bucket list item for years.

When the skies are clear the viewing is as dynamic an experience as can be imagined. The wows were never ending as the misty cloud like visions rose over the northern horizon with the North Star pointing the way.

In town, we stayed at the Explorer Inn on the highest point in Yellowknife with a view down over the Great Slave Lake. This lake is the second deepest lake in North America. In town, the Prince Edward or Prince Albert ? natural history museum is something to not be missed. It was two blocks from our hotel and an easy walk.

We spent several hours trying to see everything that this museum covered from the earliest animal species that I never knew existed before the ice age American lions? Who knew? Sabertoothed tigers. Huge beavers, wooly mammoths. At this time there was land bridge from Asia.

The ice age later did away with almost of the species with the exception of Musk Oxen and some of the mammoths survived until 10,000 years ago.

Mankind first made his way to North America after the ice age retreated enough over the ice bridge from Asia around 40,000 years ago.

This museum tracked all the applicable history of flora and fauna including the mining that still goes on.

Yellowknife in March is supposed to best month for viewing the northern lights. The week after our trip, the first week in April was an annual Dark Skies celebration. I am sure that week was packed to the hilt, thus my choosing to go when we did.

Every late afternoon/evening we were bussed out to the Aurora Lodge, a half hour out of town for the darkest skies possible. This native Canadian owned lodge and restaurant was spectacular for viewing the lights. It is situated on a frozen lake bed that viewers can take their fold up chairs onto the ice and sit for hours watching the light show after a nice dinner at the lodge overlooking the lake.

BTW, we made good use of the lodge's offering for renting very warm outer wear consisting of boots, pants, and a hooded fur-lined jacket. We never got cold after hours of sitting out on the frozen lake. I wore a single pair of socks and my feet never got cold. We were almost sweating under this nylon lined outerwear.

Besides sitting out on the frozen lake, the Aurora Lodge offers a couple of locations on the overlooking hillsides with wood decks with two person seating cubicles that swing around to any part of the sky. The seating in these cubicles is heated! They lean back so everyone has a great view of the overhead skies.

When the lights begin to be able to be seen around sunset, they come nonstop over the northern horizon for hours on end. Words can hardly describe what goes on.

The Aurora Lodge also has some daytime activities which include a half hour dog sled ride through the forest surrounding the frozen lake run by the native Canadians. They maintain a dog kennel all winter long. Those dogs cannot wait to run, as is evident with their excited barking. They are well taken care and loved by their owners. Every one of them.

The other daytime offerings are to do a little ice fishing on the lake and they have an an ice shute the anyone can climb up some wooden stairs with the special two person inflated rubber tube sliders that roar down the ice and down onto the lake bed. The kids, and kids of all ages absolutely loved this daytime offering.

I would not hesitate to go back for this light show. I chose this location for its distance from the Pacific storms that generally hit Alaska and head down into the upper midwest with the hopes for clear skies.

Our first night Wed. when we flew in late around midnight the skies were overcast. Thursday was much the same until past midnight when it cleared and the northern lights went nuts for the next couple of hour until we were bussed back into town at 2:30am. Friday was overcast too and did not clear. Saturday, our last full day was as clear as could be and stayed that way through the whole late evening.

Thanks to the sky gods for that.

If anyone has the opportunity, go!

The Explorer Hotel has a great restaurant overlooking a beautiful deep snow setting of trees and ice sculptures.

One last comment is about the Arctic Char that I ate everyday. Omg! It has to be the best tasting fish I have had. As a lover of wild caught salmon, this related species has a similar color and a taste that anyone would love.

I could go on. Just go!
jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com For This Useful Post:
Mickyfin (08-19-2019), Midwestdrifter (08-22-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 08:50 PM   #8
glasseye

Thanked 1,775 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miskolci View Post
The whole journey take 6 weeks and 12470 miles
Awesome.

"Travels With Frito" Global travels by van, motorcycle and other www.petercmclennan.com

Absent this forum, I'd never have bought a Sprinter.
glasseye is offline   Reply With Quote