Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 4x4 Talk

NCV3 4x4 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 4x4 Sprinters.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:53 AM   #51
Michlb

Default Re: Alarming 4x4 review - is this an outlier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3500XD 4x4 View Post
For me it wasn't the higher base price as many of us customize our vans putting loads of $$$$$ in to them anyway.

The only negative I can think of is the way you need to shift it to get into 4WD - thinking ahead a few hundred miles and just engaging it when there really isn't need is the best option. Minor issue as the fact you can drive with 4WD engaged on all road surfaces is fantastic, just be prepared to pay for it a bit at the pump.
^^^ this! Even though my build-out is minimal, I have already spent $20k on contractors and materials. The additional 10ish for 4x4 become a rounding error as time goes by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3500XD 4x4 View Post

Nice video! And even if I would never have to use my van like your friend, the important thing to remember is that there is no downside to having a 4x4 even if you don’t use it. No noise, and no higher consumption, at least not as long as you drive only the rear wheels.

So, even if the 4x4 is not perfect, it is better than not having it.
Michlb is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michlb For This Useful Post:
niknas (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #52
IPT

Just to add a bit, we had freezing snow and rain last night making for icy roads today. When I left this am it was snowing on top of it. Ran in 4wd all morning. As for any noise difference, it was barely discernable. There is a very subtle gear whine that I only noticed now that I was paying attention to it (actually sounded soothing to me!). As for performance today, fantastic. No issue up and out of the driveway not getting started from a dead stop at lights with glazed over icy conditions. I know in nicer conditions in 2WD I would feel the vans traction control kick in due to wheel spin and it took a while to get up to speed. Did I get stuck at a light, no, but it did take a bit to get going. In 4wd, a total non-issue. Might as well of been on dry pavement as far as the van performance went.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IPT For This Useful Post:
Michlb (02-19-2020), VanGoSki (02-18-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 03:21 AM   #53
Michlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
In 4wd, a total non-issue. Might as well of been on dry pavement as far as the van performance went.

Would have been so nice to have such objective comparisons available when I bought my RWD instead of 4x4. Crying ...
Michlb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #54
aksotar

if you need other people to tell you if you need a 4x4 then you’re better off not having one...
you’d most likely just get stuck and bad mouth them...
aksotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:44 PM   #55
4wheeldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksotar View Post
if you need other people to tell you if you need a 4x4 then you’re better off not having one...
you’d most likely just get stuck and bad mouth them...
Yeah. In any dicey situation, I always ask myself "Self, what could possibly go wrong?"
In slippery or loose conditions, 4wd definitely gives you better odds.
4wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:01 PM   #56
OffroadHamster

Arrive here in a 4runner and camp as comfortably and with as many creature comforts, and I will trade my van for a 4runner. Its not about going impossible places, its about going places impossible for 99% of campers/travelers/rv'ers etc. About getting just far enough away to be alone (or nearly alone). About not listening to some assholes generator, argument with his wife, or conflict with Johnny Law.

Sprinter has its limitations. Its not a Land Cruiser. And a Land Cruiser is not a backpack and pair of trail runners. And the backpack and trail runners are not a pack raft. Decide where you want to go, and how much you want to bring and select your ride appropriately.

Finally, enjoy the adventure in whatever form you can get it.

Finally Finally: Learn to operate whatever conveyance you have. Ive pulled a Land Cruiser out of a snow ditch it had no business being in. Ive also made tough guys in Jeeps at the top of a climb blush after bouncing by in a little Subaru as well as helped my buddy pull a 2500 dodge out of some mud with an even smaller Subaru. Know what your vehicle is capable of, and how to make it do what it is capable of safely and efficiently.

Last edited by OffroadHamster; 02-20-2020 at 10:09 PM.
OffroadHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OffroadHamster For This Useful Post:
4wheeldog (02-21-2020), Ferrets (02-21-2020), surferJ (02-21-2020), VanGoSki (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 11:23 PM   #57
VanGoSki

^^ Nice, and well said. Lake Powell, right?
VanGoSki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:49 AM   #58
Wrinkledpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadHamster View Post

Arrive here in a 4runner and camp as comfortably and with as many creature comforts, and I will trade my van for a 4runner. Its not about going impossible places, its about going places impossible for 99% of campers/travelers/rv'ers etc. About getting just far enough away to be alone (or nearly alone). About not listening to some assholes generator, argument with his wife, or conflict with Johnny Law.

Sprinter has its limitations. Its not a Land Cruiser. And a Land Cruiser is not a backpack and pair of trail runners. And the backpack and trail runners are not a pack raft. Decide where you want to go, and how much you want to bring and select your ride appropriately.

Finally, enjoy the adventure in whatever form you can get it.

Finally Finally: Learn to operate whatever conveyance you have. Ive pulled a Land Cruiser out of a snow ditch it had no business being in. Ive also made tough guys in Jeeps at the top of a climb blush after bouncing by in a little Subaru as well as helped my buddy pull a 2500 dodge out of some mud with an even smaller Subaru. Know what your vehicle is capable of, and how to make it do what it is capable of safely and efficiently.
4x4 Sprinters are the worst. Can't handle even dust on a paved road. Everyone that owns one should stay home. You definitely won't make it to a BLM camp spot.

Thanks,

-All of the West
surferJ (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #59
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,527 Times in 4,761 Posts

Just as important as 4x4 is gaining experience, and carrying the correct tools. Shovel, air compressor, (chains, traction mats etc, as applicable to region). The correct tires at the right pressure for the conditions is absolutely critical. I have watched 2WD crush 4x4s with the wrong tires and an inexperienced driver. I have also seen a 4x4 with skilled driver navigate terrain that would surprise and amaze.