Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 4x4 Talk

NCV3 4x4 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 4x4 Sprinters.


 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2020, 06:53 AM   #51
Michlb
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 142
Thanks: 70
Thanked 71 Times in 39 Posts
Default Re: Alarming 4x4 review - is this an outlier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3500XD 4x4 View Post
For me it wasn't the higher base price as many of us customize our vans putting loads of $$$$$ in to them anyway.

....

The only negative I can think of is the way you need to shift it to get into 4WD - thinking ahead a few hundred miles and just engaging it when there really isn't need is the best option. Minor issue as the fact you can drive with 4WD engaged on all road surfaces is fantastic, just be prepared to pay for it a bit at the pump.
^^^ this! Even though my build-out is minimal, I have already spent $20k on contractors and materials. The additional 10ish for 4x4 become a rounding error as time goes by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3500XD 4x4 View Post



Nice video! And even if I would never have to use my van like your friend, the important thing to remember is that there is no downside to having a 4x4 even if you don’t use it. No noise, and no higher consumption, at least not as long as you drive only the rear wheels.

So, even if the 4x4 is not perfect, it is better than not having it.
Michlb is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michlb For This Useful Post:
niknas (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 07:37 PM   #52
IPT
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 471
Thanks: 270
Thanked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Default Re: Alarming 4x4 review - is this an outlier?

Just to add a bit, we had freezing snow and rain last night making for icy roads today. When I left this am it was snowing on top of it. Ran in 4wd all morning. As for any noise difference, it was barely discernable. There is a very subtle gear whine that I only noticed now that I was paying attention to it (actually sounded soothing to me!). As for performance today, fantastic. No issue up and out of the driveway not getting started from a dead stop at lights with glazed over icy conditions. I know in nicer conditions in 2WD I would feel the vans traction control kick in due to wheel spin and it took a while to get up to speed. Did I get stuck at a light, no, but it did take a bit to get going. In 4wd, a total non-issue. Might as well of been on dry pavement as far as the van performance went.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IPT For This Useful Post:
Michlb (02-19-2020), VanGoSki (02-18-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 03:21 AM   #53
Michlb
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 142
Thanks: 70
Thanked 71 Times in 39 Posts
Default Re: Alarming 4x4 review - is this an outlier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
In 4wd, a total non-issue. Might as well of been on dry pavement as far as the van performance went.

Would have been so nice to have such objective comparisons available when I bought my RWD instead of 4x4. Crying ...
Michlb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #54
aksotar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 347
Thanks: 40
Thanked 229 Times in 133 Posts
Default Re: Alarming 4x4 review - is this an outlier?

if you need other people to tell you if you need a 4x4 then you’re better off not having one...
you’d most likely just get stuck and bad mouth them...
aksotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:44 PM   #55
4wheeldog
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,011
Thanks: 554
Thanked 589 Times in 387 Posts
Default Re: Alarming 4x4 review - is this an outlier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksotar View Post
if you need other people to tell you if you need a 4x4 then you’re better off not having one...
you’d most likely just get stuck and bad mouth them...
Yeah. In any dicey situation, I always ask myself "Self, what could possibly go wrong?"
In slippery or loose conditions, 4wd definitely gives you better odds.
4wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:01 PM   #56
OffroadHamster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Sunny and Warm
Posts: 739
Thanks: 200
Thanked 434 Times in 267 Posts
Default Re: Alarming 4x4 review - is this an outlier?


Arrive here in a 4runner and camp as comfortably and with as many creature comforts, and I will trade my van for a 4runner. Its not about going impossible places, its about going places impossible for 99% of campers/travelers/rv'ers etc. About getting just far enough away to be alone (or nearly alone). About not listening to some assholes generator, argument with his wife, or conflict with Johnny Law.

Sprinter has its limitations. Its not a Land Cruiser. And a Land Cruiser is not a backpack and pair of trail runners. And the backpack and trail runners are not a pack raft. Decide where you want to go, and how much you want to bring and select your ride appropriately.

Finally, enjoy the adventure in whatever form you can get it.

Finally Finally: Learn to operate whatever conveyance you have. Ive pulled a Land Cruiser out of a snow ditch it had no business being in. Ive also made tough guys in Jeeps at the top of a climb blush after bouncing by in a little Subaru as well as helped my buddy pull a 2500 dodge out of some mud with an even smaller Subaru. Know what your vehicle is capable of, and how to make it do what it is capable of safely and efficiently.

Last edited by OffroadHamster; 02-20-2020 at 10:09 PM.
OffroadHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OffroadHamster For This Useful Post:
4wheeldog (02-21-2020), Ferrets (02-21-2020), surferJ (02-21-2020), VanGoSki (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 11:23 PM   #57
VanGoSki
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: San Jose
Posts: 315
Thanks: 232
Thanked 131 Times in 78 Posts
Default Re: Alarming 4x4 review - is this an outlier?

^^ Nice, and well said. Lake Powell, right?
VanGoSki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:49 AM   #58
Wrinkledpants
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,351
Thanks: 55
Thanked 709 Times in 405 Posts
Default Re: Alarming 4x4 review - is this an outlier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadHamster View Post

Arrive here in a 4runner and camp as comfortably and with as many creature comforts, and I will trade my van for a 4runner. Its not about going impossible places, its about going places impossible for 99% of campers/travelers/rv'ers etc. About getting just far enough away to be alone (or nearly alone). About not listening to some assholes generator, argument with his wife, or conflict with Johnny Law.

Sprinter has its limitations. Its not a Land Cruiser. And a Land Cruiser is not a backpack and pair of trail runners. And the backpack and trail runners are not a pack raft. Decide where you want to go, and how much you want to bring and select your ride appropriately.

Finally, enjoy the adventure in whatever form you can get it.

Finally Finally: Learn to operate whatever conveyance you have. Ive pulled a Land Cruiser out of a snow ditch it had no business being in. Ive also made tough guys in Jeeps at the top of a climb blush after bouncing by in a little Subaru as well as helped my buddy pull a 2500 dodge out of some mud with an even smaller Subaru. Know what your vehicle is capable of, and how to make it do what it is capable of safely and efficiently.
4x4 Sprinters are the worst. Can't handle even dust on a paved road. Everyone that owns one should stay home. You definitely won't make it to a BLM camp spot.

Thanks,

-All of the West
__________________
2017 144WB 4x4
Wrinkledpants is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wrinkledpants For This Useful Post:
surferJ (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #59
Midwestdrifter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 11,356
Thanks: 2,238
Thanked 7,527 Times in 4,761 Posts
Default Re: Alarming 4x4 review - is this an outlier?

Just as important as 4x4 is gaining experience, and carrying the correct tools. Shovel, air compressor, (chains, traction mats etc, as applicable to region). The correct tires at the right pressure for the conditions is absolutely critical. I have watched 2WD crush 4x4s with the wrong tires and an inexperienced driver. I have also seen a 4x4 with skilled driver navigate terrain that would surprise and amaze.
__________________
2004 T1N | Overland Conversion in Process Completed...For now... | 187,000 miles | 140" | High Roof | My Build Thread
Another Random Blog | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com
Midwestdrifter is online now   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.