Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
Treesner

Default locking sliding bed mechanism

hey guys I build a slide out bed in my van and I dont like how the end legs slide in and out when I'm in the bed. if I add a clamp to locket down it becomes really sturdy. Anyone have any Idas on how add some kind of quick lock that will work at different lengths as sometimes the bed is always lid out sometimes its just half slid out..

my initial idea was to put a series of holes (maybe some kind of metal insert to keep strong) out of the bottom of one of the boards that slides out then in the lower one thats stable and doesnt slide have a pin thats sticking out. so as it slides out you can put it down into the hole. the one that slides out can move up and down while sliding so you could clear the post if you want it to go out further
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1575.jpg (86.2 KB, 93 views)
Treesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:06 AM   #2
RedLens

Default Re: locking sliding bed mechanism

Something like this perhaps:

https://www.amazon.com/Metal-Barrel-...s%2C233&sr=8-8
RedLens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #3
sparkplug

Excuse the poor photoshop - but hopefully you get what I'm trying to describe here...

I'm assuming the beam roughly where the green line is is a solid piece of timber of a decent width?

If that is the case then you could drill some holes in the sliding slats at the various 'stop' positions that you want (and obviously a corresponding hole for them to match up to in the 'green' beam)

Chisel out a couple of mm of wood in the sliding slat (indicated on my pic as the red squares with the circle in them)

Finally weld (or find someone who can do this for you) some round bar to some square bits of flat metal which will drop into your chiselled out slot and simply drop these through the holes. Make the round bar long enough that it sticks out of the bottom a bit so you can easily push them up with your finger which means you can grab them from the top and pull them out.

Actually, as I'm typing this, I realise you could skip fabricating special pins here and simply use something like a wide pan head bolt or maybe even just a countersunk bolt. I have a habit of over complicating things which can be simple!
Old 02-14-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
BrennWagon
Pete

Clevis pins from your local hardware store would work well with Sparkplug’s suggestion
Attached Images
File Type: png 93B80CE8-4CB9-4912-9042-74FBA11411FE.png (493.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 02-14-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
Treesner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkplug View Post
Excuse the poor photoshop - but hopefully you get what I'm trying to describe here...

I'm assuming the beam roughly where the green line is is a solid piece of timber of a decent width?

If that is the case then you could drill some holes in the sliding slats at the various 'stop' positions that you want (and obviously a corresponding hole for them to match up to in the 'green' beam)

Chisel out a couple of mm of wood in the sliding slat (indicated on my pic as the red squares with the circle in them)

Finally weld (or find someone who can do this for you) some round bar to some square bits of flat metal which will drop into your chiselled out slot and simply drop these through the holes. Make the round bar long enough that it sticks out of the bottom a bit so you can easily push them up with your finger which means you can grab them from the top and pull them out.

Actually, as I'm typing this, I realise you could skip fabricating special pins here and simply use something like a wide pan head bolt or maybe even just a countersunk bolt. I have a habit of over complicating things which can be simple!
thats also the solution I was thinking although I didnt think the pins would go up and down, figured they would just be stuck in green beam then have variable holes in the moving slot so you can lift up over the pin and drop down where you want it. but saying that now makes me think I would have to put it down in a hole. I guess that just means I would need a bunch of holes.

when I was trying to figure out how to hold the dowel in was thinking maybe do a bolt through its then counterink an area under trot tighten the nut against it then just have the threads sticking out as the pin.

now that I'm thinking about it I did do a similar lock system for my manual pull out drawers that I stole form that guy that makes the fancy woodshop trailers (ron Paulk). so just a forester bit hole under the shelf where you want it to lock and a crew head sticking up a bit under it. then you lift and pull the drawer out

5:05 https://youtu.be/iuhDERZbBeY?t=303
Old 02-14-2020, 06:12 PM   #6
sparkplug

You could also put some t nuts into the green beam and cut a channel all the way through the sliding slats.

Then simply put a pan head bolt with a large washer on it to secure the sliding slat to the t nut.

Maybe less secure than my original suggestion but would allow for infinite adjustment positions.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:14 PM   #7
Treesner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkplug View Post
You could also put some t nuts into the green beam and cut a channel all the way through the sliding slats.

Then simply put a pan head bolt with a large washer on it to secure the sliding slat to the t nut.

Maybe less secure than my original suggestion but would allow for infinite adjustment positions.
oh yeah thats a smart idea