Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:37 PM   #1
warx

Default doors opening/270 deg - pro or con? + high rear windows

Hi,

Finalizing my order (2020 144 HR) and just down to windows and door opening. I have ordered flares and will do a 36" garage and sideways bed. I chose no windows in the flares and likely no windows in the rear doors - but thinking I might like some high small opening windows in the top panels of the rear doors - or at least vents.

The 270 deg doors work with the flares if you extend the stopper. However, I can see how having them stop at 90deg could actually be useful with a canopy perhaps (shower etc.). You can also use the doors for carrying things (tire, fuel, box). Opening fully to to the sides obviously creates a huge "window" but for my design it will just be the side of the high-up bed and exposing garage (if it ends up like my home's garage - not pretty).

Just wondered if I am missing anything.
warx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:44 AM   #2
marklg

Default Re: doors opening/270 deg - pro or con? + high rear windows

We have a spare tire and an antenna mount on the drivers side door, so it only swings 90 degrees. It's nice to have the passenger side door swing 270 degrees for easy access to the rear when there is a bike rack behind it.

See post # 17 here:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...d.php?p=773150

We have dark tinted windows all around, which works well for us, based in the AZ desert. We often stay where there is nice scenery and we can see out and no one can see in. When you have a small space like the Sprinter, being able to see the great outdoors makes it feel bigger.

Regards,

Mark

Last edited by marklg; 02-12-2020 at 12:48 AM.
marklg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marklg For This Useful Post:
warx (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 12:49 AM   #3
warx

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklg View Post
I have a spare tire and an antenna mount on the drivers side door, so it only swings 90 degrees. It's nice to have the passenger side door swing 270 degrees for easy access to the rear when there is a bike rack behind it.
Ooh - that is a good reason. I will often have a Kuat on the hitch. Thanks!

So the drivers side door is somehow limited to 90 even though the hinge would allow 270? I presume the factory 270 option is both hinges/sides.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:37 AM   #4
marklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by warx View Post
Ooh - that is a good reason. I will often have a Kuat on the hitch. Thanks!

So the drivers side door is somehow limited to 90 even though the hinge would allow 270? I presume the factory 270 option is both hinges/sides.
Whoever installed the spare tire rack put a stop on the hinge so it only opens to 90 degrees. The original setup is both opening to 270 degrees. That was and I would guess still is the only choices you have, both 270 or neither. There is a holding stop at 90 degrees on both doors.

Regards,

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to marklg For This Useful Post:
warx (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 03:54 PM   #5
kcshoots

It is nice to be able to at least open one of the two rear doors the full 270. I open my passenger door up to 270 many times each year.
kcshoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:10 PM   #6
warx

Cool. Sounds like I should get that option and good to know there's a detent at the 90 position also. I'll worry about limiting it if I do the spare wheel carrier or not later.

Now to find some examples of windows in the top/high panel of the rear doors...
Old 02-12-2020, 04:28 PM   #7
marklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by warx View Post
Cool. Sounds like I should get that option and good to know there's a detent at the 90 position also. I'll worry about limiting it if I do the spare wheel carrier or not later.

Now to find some examples of windows in the top/high panel of the rear doors...
We've got windows too with fancy dual layer pleated shades for privacy / darkening. You can see in the same post i linked. They also provide some insulation. We bought the van used and hadn't considered them one way or the other, but decided we like them. It's nice to be able to peek out from bed and decide if it is worth getting up yet! We can see out on three sides from one location in the back.

If there is an RV show or big dealer near you, it's a good place to see the various options and decide if they work for you, even if you are going to DIY. Even going to a campground lets you see what others have done. I can honestly say that I hadn't even considered many of the possibilities.

Regards,

Mark