Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 02-09-2020, 08:35 PM   #1
harris414

Default 2008 NCV3, power elec. system/3000wtt inverter off the van!

Currently putting plan together for my vans electric/solar system

The basics are:

Input from 3 options - 1) shore 2)vans Alt.(280a Alt) 3)Solar, 1-180w panel
*solar is just to help keep things topped off and help put a little in.
I camp out of van while traveling to bike races so drive around fair amount..
Thought is, have shore when it can be used and basically upgrade the vans alternator so that I can basically run the van as if it was a genny and run the electric system for short high power loads or when bank is low.
I'm in The South! Alabama so its warm. will be running a Mach8 cub AC w/soft start and 1800watt max oven as my 2 major 120v electric devices.
plan is to use this inverter
3000 Watt Pure Sine inverter Charger - ETL Certified Conforms to UL458 Standards
battery bank will be 300-400ah battle born setup

Been going over a ton of stuff and just cant seem to find a system like this. and have looked at a lot of products!

Wondering with others experience with products and setups if you could help get me moving in the proper direction!
hoping to find/use some products that allow as little devices as possible and not have to play with switches depending on where i'm setup at...

Thanks Everyone!
harris414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #2
HarryN

Default Re: 2008 NCV3, power elec. system/3000wtt inverter off the van!

Hi, yes I have built a few systems like this.

One in a promaster (although not being used very often for a/c due to where the owner lives) and building one now for a sprinter customer in LA.

It isn't that straight forward to upgrade the factory alternator, so the usual path is to either work with what you have, add a second alternator, or use a generator to charge it while driving or other convenient times.

Battery powered air conditioning is the core of why I got into the van electrical area in the first place.

Rough numbers, it takes 1 + (number of hours of a/c) of batteries to run air conditioning before charging.

In other words, if you want 7 hrs of air conditioning, it takes 8 batteries to do it. Alternatively, if your van has items such as an auto start function built in, you can reduce this to 4 batteries and have the system auto start the engine every 3 hrs to recharge the battery pack.

If your van has a high idle function already built in, life is much easier.

It is a $10+k just in parts to go down this path. It is technically feasible so that part is not a problem.

If your van does not have high idle and auto start already, it might make the most sense to re-charge from a generator that is mounted in a box off the back. example honda or yamaha 3000 with auto start.

https://wirlnet-inc.square.site
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #3
harris414

Thanks for your response HarryN,

Here is basically the system I think will work for me, I'll just have room for 2 solar panels though.
https://www.explorist.life/300-amp-h...van-solar-kit/

Here is the Alternator I was looking at. So is this not a direct replacement then i guess..
https://www.nationsstarteralternator...-280-07-up.htm

My thoughts are wire like the diagram but would need to remove the Li-Bim ISO.
When van is started that alternator would provide the DC input now for the inverter/charger and the needed amps.
Once van is started i would turn off the "master batt disconnect", so that the van is the only input for running the inverter/charger. At this point the inverter/charger is running the system and charging the bank.
When done using van, switch back the master and turn van off. This way I would have no interruption in power.

Im looking to run A/C while driving down road maybe, but not sure if thats needed. Once at camp and settled in and closing doors for the evening I was thinking 1hr to cool things down before sleep. I think maxxfan can make comfortable the rest of time. May be wrong it gets
hot in Alabama which is why when i start build i plan on A/C just in case.

I thought about the genny on the back door.. Not a fan of that hanging off back or the weight.. So when I look at that option I see roughly 2k in a genny and another 2k in the rear door rack and box. So with 4k what could i do with that towards using the van as inverter input..
One thing im worried about is, Can the van run lets say max 2 hrs just sitting and not harm anything bc if not then genny is way to go for sure.

Thanks again
Old 02-11-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
ddunaway

What color is your van?
Old 02-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #5
harris414

white currently, but will be doing a complete wrap and will end up a dark grey or midnight navy. The roof will remain white