Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 02-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #11
irvingj
2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)

Default Re: A Few Things I've Learned on This Trip

That's a valid point, and when traveling, we DO support campgrounds, but at our destination -- someplace we plan to spend at least a day at.

When "on the road," sometimes stopping at 8-9PM (or later -- or am I the only one who does that?), staying only long enough to sleep, eat breakfast, then hit the road again.... I'm just not happy spending $25-$40 for that.
aarpskier (02-16-2020), Bone Head (02-20-2020), HighPockets (02-16-2020), IndyDick (02-16-2020), Meeks (02-15-2020), Unity Traveler (02-16-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 10:19 AM   #12
Scarecrow
2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,160 Times in 606 Posts

I don't believe chains are evil. The people who buy a franchise invest their money, as well. And I spend plenty of money at private RV resorts, as it is. If I'm going to spend money, I'd prefer to spend as little as possible!

I did attempt to use Bass Pro Shops near Tallahassee FL last night, but the answer they gave was not convivial: "We were asked to say you might be able to stay. We cannot tell you No. We cannot tell you Yes. We are next to a Walmart and they might be a better choice." Interesting.

As it is, I have been hearing my Equalizer Levelers tick all night - especially the two rear ones. Like they are losing pressure slowly (which someone here will tell me is not possible). Not sure what the noise means. I will have them looked at as soon as I can figure out who to contact.

Meanwhile, this marks right at 2,000 miles in 4 days, after leaving Tucson, heading to Nogales AZ, then Montgomery, and now here. A few more hours to Leesburg FL today will add a 5th day, but about 220 miles. I am including the run from Tucson to Nogales to my first campsite as part of that fifth day.

My trek home to Maryland starts about next Saturday - depending on how much criticism from my older brother I can take. He means well, and I love him dearly. But I'm 66 and he's 78, and I've never measured up, somehow. He does not understand this whole "RV thing". Hey! He's been very successful in his life. Who am I to teach him anything? I'll just keep these secret joys to myself!!

It's 5am. Time to get up and run to Walmart for DEF. This Unity has been driving very well. Sometimes, it feels like it's on a rail, it tracks so smooth. But usually, I've been fighting traffic, big rigs, head and side wind, hotrodders, and the occasional logging truck. No, Interstate travel is NOT my idea of a Road Trip, but I had a schedule to keep this time. I can maybe relax more once I leave Florida.

My detour to Montgomery was in order to pick up a special eBay find: A 5ft wide framed poster for "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King", signed by all 25 major cast members (including Sean Bean and Andy Serkis). A Christmas present to... well... ME!! Ha!! New Line Cinema created only 138 of them when the movie was released. I've never seen another. My brother will not understand this, either. Collecting is, indeed, an insidious disease!!

On this trip I have seen signs of at least 5 big rigs that left the highway and probably did not end well - and one big rig just a few feet away from the oncoming traffic lanes on I20, after careening down a shallow embankment in the median. There were 4 or 5 tow rigs positioning themselves to try and extricate it from the mud. Methinks "Better Call Chuck.com" might be a busy law firm!

One thing was reconfirmed the last several nights: Commerce never stands still. it moves 24 hours a day through this Country, 7 days a week.

Last edited by Scarecrow; 02-15-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scarecrow For This Useful Post:
Meeks (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 11:10 AM   #13
Scarecrow

Some of the issues about campsites come down to a simple fact for me, being single: I rarely take advantage of their amenities. Rarely use the pool. Never use the gym. Never play billiards or pinball. Sometimes use their laundry. Never use their community center, reading rooms, or rent their cable boxes. And WiFi sucks at nearly every one - no matter what they say. Never use their playgrounds, hot tub, or sauna. Never use their pet wash. Rarely use their LP supply service. Never use their Mail Service. Never use their picnic tables or grills or fire pits.

So they are not a good value for me that warrants the typical $50 per night fee. To be honest, all discount clubs are a joke (Good Sam's and others - KOA seems a tangible benefit, if the park is decent).

The one rare service I enjoy, other than fresh water and RV dump? Cable TV. But even that is often restricted so badly as to be laughable. Streaming is considered a crime at these places - even in 2020.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:07 PM   #14
harrysalit
2019 Wonder FTB

Scarecrow, you might like Elk Lodge campgrounds, no frills just a safe place to stay. Many have dinning rooms withe good food. Rates $20-30/ night, some with full hookups, some none.
Thousands of lodges around the country. Some take reservations, most don’t. Some you may just stay in the parking lot.
Most are in towns close to everything.
harrysalit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to harrysalit For This Useful Post:
csmithgator (02-21-2020), Danarbor (02-16-2020), geds (02-16-2020), HighPockets (02-16-2020), irvingj (02-16-2020), Meeks (02-15-2020), Scarecrow (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 07:25 PM   #15
Scarecrow

I will check them out. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:24 AM   #16
IndyDick
2016 MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysalit View Post
Scarecrow, you might like Elk Lodge campgrounds, no frills just a safe place to stay. Many have dinning rooms withe good food. Rates $20-30/ night, some with full hookups, some none.
Thousands of lodges around the country. Some take reservations, most donít. Some you may just stay in the parking lot.
Most are in towns close to everything.
Don't you have to be a member to stay there?
IndyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:40 AM   #17
harrysalit
2019 Wonder FTB

Everyone has different travel methods.
When out for 6 months our daily average is about 35 miles! Never drive after sunset. Stop by 3, take a nap, in bed by 10! Take our time, have many destinations, it is a vacation, not a race!
No nightly stops at big box stores or restaurants, but a lot of Elk Lodge overnights.
Has been working for us for years, but slow going to see the entire country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvingj View Post
That's a valid point, and when traveling, we DO support campgrounds, but at our destination -- someplace we plan to spend at least a day at.

When "on the road," sometimes stopping at 8-9PM (or later -- or am I the only one who does that?), staying only long enough to sleep, eat breakfast, then hit the road again.... I'm just not happy spending $25-$40 for that.
harrysalit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harrysalit For This Useful Post:
HighPockets (02-16-2020)