Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > The Competition

The Competition Discussion of other vehicles similar to the Sprinter; Transit, Promaster, etc.
SubForum: Write-Ups

Old 06-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #1
jjmretired

Default LOOKING AT TRANSITS

Purchased a new 2013 Sprinter crew van in July of 2013. Only use it for vacation trips and transporting r/c airplanes to fly-ins. 17,000 miles. in six years. First "A" service, May 2015, 6,000 miles. No problems, $218. Second "A" service, May 2017, 13,000 miles. They found an oil leak from turbo outlet housing. Replaced oil leak seal ring at turbocharger, $244. Cost covered by my seven year extended warranty.
First "B" service and airbag recall, different dealership from last "A" service. May 2019, 17,000 miles. Found (leak?") during service the oil cooler and the intake seal from the turbo to the air filter box. Removed and replaced the seal on the turbo that was leaking. 18.7 hours. $3,212. Again covered by extended warranty. Also had fuel injection service. Diesel injector flush kit with filter $285 (my wallet).
Parts for the oil leak: Compensating ring, three O rings, elastomer-molded seal, flange gasket and another unnamed gasket.
My warranty runs out in July 2020. There is no way I am going to keep this van past this date. It will be traded in on a 2020 Transit
before the next service is due and more problems are discovered. I really like the Sprinter but I've found out maintaining a Mercedes is above my pay grade.
jjmretired is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjmretired For This Useful Post:
2Cougs (06-09-2019), Bobnoxious (06-08-2019), grross (06-08-2019), The Grand Tour (06-20-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 04:49 AM   #2
Boxster1971
2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext

Default Re: lOOKING AT TRANSITS

17,000 miles in six years is the main source of your problems. I would not recommend a Sprinter or any diesel for such low mileage use. I have 115,000 miles on my Sprinter, drive about 20,000 a year traveling. When home I make an effort to drive it at least once a week at highway speeds. The only engine problem I've had was a DEF heater failure last year.

A gas Transit may better serve your needs.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boxster1971 For This Useful Post:
4wheeldog (06-12-2019), Bobnoxious (06-08-2019), lindenengineering (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 07:11 AM   #3
srt4ny

Yes these vans like to be running and working and highways thats why you had all these problems i barely had any problems with mine but i did 310,000 milles in 3 years👍
srt4ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
loweredd

Default Re: LOOKING AT TRANSITS

So, o-rings and gaskets won't fail if you put alot of miles on them?
loweredd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loweredd For This Useful Post:
CJPJ (06-12-2019), glasseye (11-29-2019), The Grand Tour (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
126v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4ny View Post
Yes these vans like to be running and working and highways thats why you had all these problems i barely had any problems with mine but i did 310,000 milles in 3 years👍
My man!!
310k in 3 yrs
126v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:08 AM   #6
drbutton

I bought a 2019 Sprinter 12-Passenger 4x4 a week ago. One of my main drivers for the past 4 years is my Ford Transit 350 XLT Ecoboost 15-Passenger Low-Roof Wagon. I live in a rural part of Colorado, and I still own both vehicles. I have a few observations to share after the first week of Sprinter ownership and about 500 miles of driving:

- Sprinter is more substantial, industrial, and has a much better interior fit-and-finish. Everything about it seems to be heavier duty than the Ford Transit. The Transit's interior is more...fragile and "plasticy"
- The Transit has much easier egress than the very tall Sprinter
- Transit is quicker off the line than the Diesel if you are into that sort of thing.
- Both vans have no trouble with Colorado hills and passes...thus far. We'll see what I70, Monarch, and Hoosier passes are like later this winter. None of these roads posed a challenge to the Transit's Ecoboost motor
- The Sprinter is MUCH quieter and settled on the highway, a huge plus for my family of nine going on twelve. Lots of chatter
- The Sprinter NAV is far superior to the admittedly old and outdated Ford SYNC (I) system
- The Sprinter Cruise Control is amazingly better on hills than the Transit. The Transit's twin-turbo gas motor simply does not have the torque-breaking effect that the Sprinter's mighty diesel does. This may not sound important, but it makes my life much easier daily. I commute over a large hill that drops down into a school zone. Speed control is key, and I hate riding the brakes all the time.
- The Sprinter's blind-spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control systems (sorry MB guys, I just cannot recall what Daimler calls those, "Techtronic" or something) are great, and make the van safer than the Ford, which will only offer this in 2020...a bit late?
- The Sprinter's sound system is vastly inferior compared with the Ford Transit's...I was very surprised and disappointed by this.
- The Sprinter's passenger seats have much more legroom in the 3rd and 4th rows than the Ford. This matters a lot to my teenagers.
- My kids prefer the Transit's squishy cloth seats to the "leatherette" in the Sprinter. Dad prefers wiping gum and, well, other "fluids" off of the Sprinter seats and floor rather than fighting to tease such substances out of the highly-absorbent materials that line the Ford's seats and floor.
- I like that the Sprinter did not slide down uncle David's driveway today, as the Transit does when there is ice. I also like NOT calling a towtruck for the Sprinter when I drive it in snow. The Transit needed some help earlier this month when it got stuck...in my snowy driveway. I lost half a day of work due to this - no more with Sprinter 4x4!
- I like parking my Transit in my regular garage. Forget that with the 10.5' tall Sprinter.
- Drive-throughs are OUT now, whereas the Transit was able to pass through them 95% of the time (low roof)
- The Sprinter's heater is so superior to the Ford's that its embarrassing. My wife is very thankful for the new car. I do have the fuel-fired pre-heater.
- Heated seats on the Sprinter, wonderful...Not a factory option on the Ford (until 2020)

I will keep you posted...

Last edited by drbutton; 11-29-2019 at 05:11 AM.
drbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drbutton For This Useful Post:
Boxster1971 (11-30-2019), Ferrets (12-01-2019), VanGoSki (12-03-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 07:22 AM   #7
NBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmretired View Post
Removed and replaced the seal on the turbo that was leaking. 18.7 hours. $3,212. Again covered by extended warranty.
lol - that's an awesome story. So many similar stories here on this forum.

Someone knowledgeable help me better understand this warranty thing - isn't there someone employed there to call out completely BS rip-off repairs, like the insurance companies do to keep the body shops in-check - or do they just pass that off to the customers as the cost of business - ie, how much does a Sprinter extended warranty cost?
NBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:45 AM   #8
aviatordoc

Regarding extended warranty, the 2019 that I bought, MB offered a 5 yr/100K for 850$.
That is 2 additional years. Reasonable I think.
aviatordoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 03:00 PM   #9
NBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatordoc View Post
Regarding extended warranty, the 2019 that I bought, MB offered a 5 yr/100K for 850$.
That is 2 additional years. Reasonable I think.
If it's factory and costs little, I then have to question what actual payment gets made in the background - if it's not like medical invoicing. The OP's story stinks so very badly, there has to be more going on. My medical insurance company was invoiced $250k for 2 hours of an anesthesiologist - he actually gets paid like $1200.
NBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:44 PM   #10
lindenengineering

Thanked 10,708 Times in 5,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBB View Post
lol - that's an awesome story. So many similar stories here on this forum.

Someone knowledgeable help me better understand this warranty thing - isn't there someone employed there to call out completely BS rip-off repairs, like the insurance companies do to keep the body shops in-check - or do they just pass that off to the customers as the cost of business - ie, how much does a Sprinter extended warranty cost?
Mr NBB
Clearly even from your own post submissions you know NOTHING about this auto industry in the USA.
For starters this YANKELAND works to a different drummer than most of the rest of the world.
So to understand what drives the business including what's called FLAT RATE in the USA you need to know more about it than you appear to clearly demonstrate by your posts.

A few helpful suggestions, instead of continual ranting about something you have scant knowledge about might be helpful you know.

So far as collision repairs and compensation rates are concerned is useful to read AND INWARDLY DIGEST this article:-
https://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/the...r-labor-rates/

Now to extended warranties .
They fall into several categories.
Ask the question:-
Is this extended warranty supported/provided by MB USA to be used EXCLUSIVELY within the dealer chain system in the USA only and NOT NA territories ?--By that I mean not Canada nor Mexico.

All other extended warranties are ostensibly for this perspective provided by 3rd parties, and as such are transportable for the indemnified to obtain repairs under the extended warranty agreement PROVIDING nature of the repair falls into the caveats of the TERMS AND CONDITIONS to satisfy the claim.

Compensation therefore depends upon what plans you have signed up to.

https://www.edmunds.com/auto-warrant...arranties.html

Now I am not qualified to answer your statements on medical practitioners compensation, but my daughter is being a pediatric surgeon for a prestigious University hospital in Houston.
(Grad from UMTB in Galveston).

If you would like some further info on how what drives MED industry IN THE USA--which again is quite unique just by itself , you can ask!
I will pass the questions to my eldest offspring who can answer that for a better understanding on compensation details in the medical field pertaining to the USA.

Hope this post is helpful to you (and others) and provide you with a better understanding.
Now all you need to know is grasp a better understanding of a Sprinter and its repairs to obtain a much better perspective.
All the best
Dennis

Last edited by lindenengineering; 11-29-2019 at 04:47 PM.
lindenengineering is offline   Reply With Quote