Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > The Competition

The Competition Discussion of other vehicles similar to the Sprinter; Transit, Promaster, etc.
SubForum: Write-Ups

Old 09-29-2019, 12:58 PM   #11
lockmedic

Default Re: Amazon Electric Vans 100K Rivian

Tow charging (while possibly convenient for a microscopic number of users) sounds rather inefficient. You're using a fossil fuel powered driveline, operating at 25% thermal efficiency at best, to recharge an electric one but not through a wire but rather tires, axles, and a generator. . . with the combined losses associated with that conversion from mechanical back to electric.

Probably better to just plug the EV into the coach generator as you drive.
lockmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:14 PM   #12
MobileCC

with all the back orders at the fremont plant for tesla model 3 ..im thinking this change to electric may happen faster than we think...the gas prices will determine how fast this happens i heard also rumors of a battery being charged in 8 mins and the tesla truck battery passing the 1 million mile cycle mark
MobileCC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MobileCC For This Useful Post:
lindenengineering (11-01-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #13
lindenengineering

Thanked 10,661 Times in 5,417 Posts

There are a lot of changes going on in the auto/personal mobility sector which are not always apparent faced with the current array of ICE powered vehicles.

There is without a doubt a seismic shift going on, with most of it centered in the Far East.
If there was for me any doubt about the future about electric & hybrid vehicles propulsion is was laid to rest with the emergence of the Toyota Prius.

Having jumped at the chance of a technical in depth course run locally by Toyota over a three week ("hands on" focused) approach to the Hybrid concept I was hooked. It wasn't the very conventional ICE under the hood (1500 /1750 CC Atkinson cycle engine) but rather the innovation of batteries, electric motors, controls and computer reliability in vehicles, areas which from my experience didn't live up too well to design and longevity.

After the Gen1 Prius emergence in 1998 things have changed enormously!

Even reliable telematics are becoming commonplace and the innovation is already present with the latest ICU vehicles with the accent on self driving concepts.

Since 2018 China has implemented a policy of ICE automobile phase out . This is huge shift representing a 20, million unit market ,almost double that of the USA domestic consumption/export !
It also has huge ramifications for the West's continual reliance upon ICE car export sales, and significant revenue earner.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...e-ban-in-china.

I see Hyundai has realized that global automobile preparation has reached saturation point, and that alternative & radical approaches are the future.

Dennis

Here are two videos showing current trends.

lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:32 AM   #14
drbutton

Fight global warming?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg electric_car_coal.jpg (22.1 KB, 31 views)
drbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drbutton For This Useful Post:
Zoomyn (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 05:33 PM   #15
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,082 Times in 5,895 Posts

Let's see.... drbutton is in Colorado, which is almost 50% coal-powered:

PHEV-carbon-colo.png

Fully electric is still a win. (gasoline would've been 11,435 pounds)

See how your state does: https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/ele...emissions.html

--dick
p.s. power source was a factor in my choice of residence ... it cut my electric bill by over 67% when i moved:

PHEV-carbon-WA.png
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 11-29-2019 at 05:39 PM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:30 PM   #16
lindenengineering

Yes your post show the USA is drastically behind the rest of the world but you don't mention that !
As a suggestion look at Scotland and the Isles of Orkney in particular . They are totally renewable, exporting the excess generation to the the UK mainland.

The US is missing out on the best opportunity in along time to develop this technology.
Dennis
Old 11-29-2019, 08:41 PM   #17
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengineering View Post
The US is missing out on the best opportunity in a long time to develop this technology.
Yes, as a GE stockholder, it was always galling to see everybody else's name emblazoned on the turbine nacelles all over the planet.
(usually Siemens)

--dick ("was" ... and still is...)
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 11-29-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2019, 09:15 PM   #18
lindenengineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by autostaretx View Post
Yes, as a GE stockholder, it was always galling to see everybody else's name emblazoned on the turbine nacelles all over the planet.
(usually Siemens)

--dick
Yes except that GE makes the biggest for offshore applications.
The UK has better wind velocity than the rest of Europe but windmill blade diameter is restricted to 16 ft (the last time I looked) and the actual cluster quantity is limited by local by laws.

Take a look at this and the canny Scots !
Inventors of steam engines,. TV's and penicillin--to name a few items we use today!
Dennis
Old 11-29-2019, 11:32 PM   #19
autostaretx
Erratic Member

When we had an unplanned stop (due to 2nd flat tire in one day) in our drive around England and Wales ...

we ended up on the shores of Colwyn Bay in Llanddulas, with a 25 square mile offshore wind farm:

The tip of the blades are 150 meters (490 feet) above the water.
Rotor diameter 105 meters (351 feet).
Planning started in 2008, construction began in 2011, first power was being produced by Sept 2013, construction complete Nov 2014, fully commissioned in June 2015.
160 3.6MW Siemens SWT-3.6-107 turbines. 576 MW total.
Details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwynt_y_M%C3%B4r

--dick
p.s. that's a brand-new 2014 VW California RV ... you can't get them here in the US.
p.p.s. we did meet smaller on-shore units in Cornwall:

Last edited by autostaretx; 11-29-2019 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:16 AM   #20
drbutton

Any electric vehicle I plug in will have its batteries charged by a coal-powered power plant in Pueblo for now. We have considered the $40k it would take to install solar, but the numbers don't add up for us. Besides, I am not aware of a 12-passenger electric anything at this time. I like electric vehicles, don't get me wrong, but the car must function well for the stated purpose and have adequate range. As for saving the planet, well, it is an excellent idea that has yet to become practical for some of us.
drbutton is offline   Reply With Quote