Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 06-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #1
csmithgator
2012 LTV Unity IB

Default Unity cab seats

Using the driver and passenger seats as our primary place to sit for reading or TV viewing is uncomfortable. After market cushions provide some relief but still not as comfortable as the traditional motorhome swivel seat. Looking for some guidance, has anyone had these seats reupholstered with better cushioning?
Old 06-15-2018, 12:08 AM   #2
alichty
2014 LTV Unity TB

Thanked 1,167 Times in 713 Posts
Default Re: Unity cab seats

We have the same experience with our 2014TB - I have come up with some cushioning solutions that make things more tolerable for TV use/reading but consider it far from ideal. I'd love to hear about a seat that would fit there and be better for both stationary use as well as driving.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
Klipstr
2018 Wonder FTB

A freaking men. The Wonder/Transit is a bit better but still not ideal. For a place where you are going to be planting your butt for long periods of time someone should have thought more about this that's for sure!

Rio Verde and Show Low AZ
2018 Wonder FTB

https://cuernoverdesolar.wordpress.com/
Klipstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
RichNJohn
2018 Unity MB

I like the seats but I sure wish there was a way to add an arm rest to the other side of them. I like to drive with the seat up high so find myself always leaning to the right where my arm is on the arm rest. Because we have the Remi blinds, it's uncomfortable to rest my arm on the door sill.
RichNJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:30 PM   #5
Msmoto

Great topic. Having had a luxury moho in the past, and having pulled Airstream trailers for nearly 80,000 miles with a 2008 Dodge/Cummins 2500, I like a good left armrest. For me, the solution was to use closed cell foam, called "kayak foam" and make an extra pad about one inch thick which I covered with leather and then used Velcro to attach it to the door armrest on the Dodge.

In fact, I will be doing this with my new 2019 U24CB due in September. May post a photo once this is completed. My primary issue will be to get some matching Ultraleather from the factory so it matches. Last time I priced Ultraleather it was over $70 USD per yard. Oh well..
Old 06-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #6
Scarecrow
2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNJohn View Post
I like the seats but I sure wish there was a way to add an arm rest to the other side of them. I like to drive with the seat up high so find myself always leaning to the right where my arm is on the arm rest. Because we have the Remi blinds, it's uncomfortable to rest my arm on the door sill.

This might be a silly suggestion, but that top ridge of the Remi frame (where your arm rests) can maybe be made tolerable by adding a swimming pool bumper with a slit cut on the bottom. Or find a black foam tube to do the same thing:

https://smile.amazon.com/K-Flex-USA-...lack+foam+tube

Not the prettiest solution, mind you.

I actually find that frame just right for me.

2017 Unity Murphy Bed
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scarecrow For This Useful Post:
csmithgator (06-23-2018), RichNJohn (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 11:28 PM   #7
RichNJohn
2018 Unity MB

When touring the factory in Winkler I asked the guy who is in charge of the seats about the possibility of adding an armrest. I could not believe that there wouldn't be a socket on both sides but in fact the passenger seat is completely different from the driver's seat. He said that you can order a seat from Mercedes that has armrests on both sides but DOT regulations won't let them put them on cars headed for North America. Another DOT related issue that I found interesting is that LTVis required to make sure they reinstall the EXACT seats that came with the vehicle. So Leisure has to track all the seats when they are removed and sent to the upholstery section to make sure they get back to the correct vehicles. I guess they can't swap the seats out for some other custom seat like RVs of days gone by. I haven't read the regulations myself but I trust what I was told because I can't think of any other reason LTV would go to the trouble and expense of tracking the seats so closely.

I don't need an arm rest bad enough to spend what it would cost to have one shipped from Germany so I guess I'll be looking at foam noodles. Thanks Scarecrow!
RichNJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichNJohn For This Useful Post:
rgray (06-22-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
Gamma1966
2013 Chassis /14 Unity MB

I believe the reason seats MUST STAY WITH SAME VEHICLE AS WHEN THEY LEFT FACTORY is because ECM is always communicating with devices in the vehicle, including the seat, all of which have static ID's or addresses on the communication bus.
Gamma1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:17 PM   #9
J&J Owen Sound

An ugly solution that I use when my left elbow is sore, is to use a cheap foam knee pad. The Velcro straps hold it on your elbow. I keep one in the door pocket.
It's not the prettiest solution...............but it works.
J&J Owen Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J&J Owen Sound For This Useful Post:
B.kris (06-25-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 08:33 PM   #10
BUSYBOB
2015 LTV Unity TB

After 4 -6 hrs of driving, my left elbow gets sore from the hard molded armrest. My solution was to buy the Safety Belt Pad (for the shoulder) from Camping World (Cat Item #69262) for $4.30. This is a soft pad that has velcro strips for fastening. I put two other velcro strips on the molded armrest, opened the Pad and wrapped it around a soft cylindrical foam about 2" dia. Actually I used one of our dog's (Yorkie) small cylindrical stuffed toys. Only cost about $1.00. Works fine. Yes, I did buy a replacement stuffed toy.
BUSYBOB is offline   Reply With Quote