Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Winnebago / Itasca

Winnebago / Itasca Itasca Navion, Winnebago View.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:05 PM   #11
2014.Navion

Default Re: DANGEROUS WIRING IN VIEW/NAVIONS

Don't use Wagos! Electricians love those thing but all they are is a little tab of metal and a high resistance creating issue waiting to happen. Use a NEMA rated lug. That's the best way to go. Something like the below...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GDFXXA...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
2014.Navion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #12
billbo

Over the past 20 years I have found "dangerous" wiring in every rig. The power input is normally the problem area but not the only place to look for certain. Last two rigs before this View both had connectors never tightened in the Transfer switch. Actually this View was not so bad but I went through each box as I moved them around installing the hard-wired EMS in that tiny space. It's just a sad commentary about the industry that posts the sticker on each rig which is supposed to indicate quality. As noted by others the new View has a tiny space to work in which is proven by the number of bruises, scrapes and cuts on the hands and pain in the knees working in that space.

I appreciate everyone who takes time to post about this kind of problem when found. It alerts the rest of us to be careful and inspect things more often. Even after you repair them you have to keep checking because the roads are not really smooth out there.

In this View the air conditioner wiring is not code/spec. The fuse is correct amps but they put in wire too small and that's a bear or impossible to fix. Tech and I both took photos. Wire is run in roof channel originating behind fridge in our 24D. So far it is working.
billbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billbo For This Useful Post:
Old Crows (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #13
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,941 Times in 8,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbo View Post

In this View the air conditioner wiring is not code/spec. The fuse is correct amps but they put in wire too small and that's a bear or impossible to fix. Tech and I both took photos. Wire is run in roof channel originating behind fridge in our 24D. So far it is working.
The fuse is the correct amps to protect the wire, or to allow the A/C unit to run? If the fusing is correct for the conductor with the load being near 100% then it is not ideal, but not unsafe. 80% load on the wire is typical design.

Some good news about slightly under sized wiring is that the runs in an RV are relatively short. The A/C loads are also typically cyclical.

The bad news is that being in the roof area sun loading may heat the wire space.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 10-12-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
billbo (10-11-2019), Old Crows (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #14
Alphacarina

It's very common practice to install wire a bit too small for the amps being drawn *if* the length of the wire is very short, *or* the device it's powering is designed for intermittent use - Look at a vacuum cleaner which draws 12 amps and has a 16 gauge cord. Many times, there's even a warning to make sure you extend the cord to it's full length, because if you leave half of it on the auto reel, it will get HOT. That same cord would burn up a 12 amp Skilsaw, so they must be doing something different with their motors

For an RV air conditioner, I would measure the voltage drop when it's running and if it's 2 or 3% or less, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The wire is probably less than 10 feet long and doesn't drop much voltage. So long as nothing gets warm, there's no concern, IMO

Don
Alphacarina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alphacarina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #15
TooMuchHair

I always use the "short run distance" as an excuse to just go ahead and oversize the wire because the increased cost is so low. If nothing else it makes me feel good.
TooMuchHair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TooMuchHair For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #16
Geriakt
2017 View 24J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine Country View Post
I checked my main box. The wire nuts were melted and stuck together. I use Wago connectors as I donít like wire nuts.
Glad you checked.
I have to agree the use of wire nuts on a moving vehicle is not a good idea. Taping the up is a helpful safeguard.
Geriakt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geriakt For This Useful Post:
Old Crows (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 02:06 AM   #17
billbo

I agree the Air Cond wire run is probably about 10 ft from the mains load center. The deal which baffled the tech and myself is they put in 14-2 when the wiring diagram downloaded from WGO shows the run as 12-2. OK, in fact it is 12-2 from the load center to the junction box on the wall behind the fridge. From there it is 14-2 in the roof and the breaker is 20 amps. We got into all that because they had to replace the AC unit. Fan banging into a copper line. If I could easily access the wire I would hit it with the IR gun on a hot day when the air runs most of the time. So far, no problems. Pulling the fridge out is tedious.
billbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #18
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,941 Times in 8,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbo View Post
I agree the Air Cond wire run is probably about 10 ft from the mains load center. The deal which baffled the tech and myself is they put in 14-2 when the wiring diagram downloaded from WGO shows the run as 12-2. OK, in fact it is 12-2 from the load center to the junction box on the wall behind the fridge. From there it is 14-2 in the roof and the breaker is 20 amps. ...
It was probably installed in error?

If still under warranty I would think that the company would correct it. Actually, even if not under warranty I would think that they would make it right.

The above aside, the short run of 14-2 is feeding a fixed appliance. The load can't be increased like it might be on a convenience receptacle circuit. A 15,000 BTU RV air conditioner on an average draws around 12.5 - 13 amps while running.

In power distribution there is a 10 Foot Tap Rule. A smaller gauge tap wire is allowed to come off a bus to feed a circuit breaker or fused switch. The 20 amp breaker will protect the 14 AWG conductor against possible short circuit problems. The fixed appliance can only draw a reasonable current.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 10-11-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
billbo (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 06:15 PM   #19
larrygee

Check the receptacle on your coach where your shore power plugs in. Remove the cover and if you see yellow connectors, replace them with red ones.

"I never met a man on his deathbed who wished he had spent more time at the office"
larrygee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to larrygee For This Useful Post:
Old Crows (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 08:08 PM   #20
hippy
hardware modifier

I will use my flir camera and check for hotspots after my install, thanks for the heads up
hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hippy For This Useful Post:
Old Crows (10-11-2019)