Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > VS30 Sprinters > VS30 4x4 Talk

VS30 4x4 Talk General Discussions related to VS30 4x4 Sprinters.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
aviatordoc

Default How imortant is the LED headlight anyway?

I think I have found a van that meets most of my needs in a van, but it does not have the LED headlamps that I really wanted.
I think at this point, the only way is to "order" a new van with it and all else I need.
How do you guys who have it like it and what do you think?
aviatordoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
Sctn

Default Re: How imortant is the LED headlight anyway?

Buy the available van. It’s some headlights that aren’t available. I don’t know what your plans are but I can’t imagine any plans where led headlights make or break it.
Sctn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #3
Sprinter2017

I second purchasing van you found. We waited 9 months for our order only to not receive the LED light package. I was bummed as I enjoy the brighter lights for long driving and they look cool but normal headlights on van actually aren’t to bad.

Just for kicks I’m installing brighter bulbs which may give them a boost.

Post a photo once you purchase!
Sprinter2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #4
wquek

I had my van on order since January this year. It was supposed to be a July build but they said the LED was not available. Dealer said it wonít be available until potentially 2020. I have been waiting to order this van since 2017 so this was tough news for me.

Debated this issue for two weeks and my wife suggested that I hold off and wait for the LED. That was the best decision I made. From speaking with people that have the LED, they said it was a huge difference even over the 906 HID headlights.

I still donít have a van yet but I know I will regret spending 85k on a van that has crap headlights. If you think you will be driving at night and on highways, I suggest you really consider waiting for the LED. If you think you need the van now to go on some trip or meet some short term goals, then buy it without.

Just to add fuel to fire, here is a photo of some FedEx vans that arrived at my dealer last month with the full LED package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wquek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wquek For This Useful Post:
Carminooch615 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #5
Sctn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wquek View Post
I had my van on order since January this year. It was supposed to be a July build but they said the LED was not available. Dealer said it wonít be available until potentially 2020. I have been waiting to order this van since 2017 so this was tough news for me.

Debated this issue for two weeks and my wife suggested that I hold off and wait for the LED. That was the best decision I made. From speaking with people that have the LED, they said it was a huge difference even over the 906 HID headlights.

I still donít have a van yet but I know I will regret spending 85k on a van that has crap headlights. If you think you will be driving at night and on highways, I suggest you really consider waiting for the LED. If you think you need the van now to go on some trip or meet some short term goals, then buy it without.

Just to add fuel to fire, here is a photo of some FedEx vans that arrived at my dealer last month with the full LED package.

How did you get your wife to talk about a vans headlights for two weeks...I canít keep my wifeís attention on our van for more than two seconds.

Iíd drive the damn thing w bike lights up front. I just donít get it.
Sctn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sctn For This Useful Post:
wquek (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #6
Shuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sctn View Post
How did you get your wife to talk about a vans headlights for two weeks...I canít keep my wifeís attention on our van for more than two seconds.

Iíd drive the damn thing w bike lights up front. I just donít get it.

She sounds like a keeper

Shuga is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shuga For This Useful Post:
wquek (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #7
Onefin

I had standard headlights on my 2014.....a compromise I accepted in order to avoid a build wait and buy a van off the lot.
After owning the standard lights I had the requirement of the xenon headlights on my 2017.......they are so much better than the standard lights.
I personally can not imagine compromising on having better vision at night......if the LED lights offer better visibility, then certainly wait for the LEDs on a $50,000+ van.
No easy way to retrofit the higher performance lighting to a van built with the standard lights.

Disclaimer: I like seeing things when I’m driving at night.....this may or may not be important to you.
I’ve not driven a LED VS30 so no clue if they are better than the standard, but I assume they are.
Onefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:42 PM   #8
surferJ

With the plan to head a bit off the beaten path I had been planning a big light bar up on the front rack. These were looking pricey and then I read a review on the past years LED lights. They described a big full light field as apposed to traditional ones.

So I decided to order the LEDs and skip the light bar. So far very pleased.
surferJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferJ For This Useful Post:
Onefin (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 09:41 PM   #9
wquek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuga View Post
She sounds like a keeper

Yeah she sure is! We plan to use the van for various camping and road trips. Currently we are using a 1970 VW Westfalia and everyone is looking forward to something a little bit more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefin View Post
I had standard headlights on my 2014.....a compromise I accepted in order to avoid a build wait and buy a van off the lot.
After owning the standard lights I had the requirement of the xenon headlights on my 2017.......they are so much better than the standard lights.
I personally can not imagine compromising on having better vision at night......if the LED lights offer better visibility, then certainly wait for the LEDs on a $50,000+ van.
No easy way to retrofit the higher performance lighting to a van built with the standard lights.

Disclaimer: I like seeing things when Iím driving at night.....this may or may not be important to you.
Iíve not driven a LED VS30 so no clue if they are better than the standard, but I assume they are.

Those were our thoughts exactly. We live near the mountains and always do trips in the winter when itís usually snowing and the daylight hours are short. The roads are bad and there are always wild animals around. My parents got into a bad car accident at night and are still on medication 13 years later. Having the best lighting is just so important to us.

I thought a lot about going with the basic halogens and adding some high end Rigid Adapt lighting to a brush bar on inside the grill. Unfortunately those are not street legal and I cannot use it public roads. It really came down to our willingness to wait for the LED build slot. Ordering a Sprinter is the most frustrating purchasing experience I have ever had. At this point I am already more than two years into my wait with no van.

wquek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wquek For This Useful Post:
Onefin (10-09-2019), Sctn (10-09-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 02:45 AM   #10
airforceones25

I often wonder how I was the one lucky jackass that ended up w/ 4x4 Stone Grey, LED’s/ and the 10” system..

All I can say is the LED’s are sweet! Idk if it’s worth the wait to you but damn they are nice. That said everyone knows how difficult it is to get ahold of these vehicles. LED’s could easily set you back another 2 years.

Best of luck!
airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to airforceones25 For This Useful Post:
MTNXTC (10-11-2019)