Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Write-Ups

Old 08-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #11
asimba2
2016 4cyl High Roof 144

Default Re: A Three Year Update on the Journey with my 2010 Sprinter

I have enjoyed this thread. Nice work and thanks for posting!
asimba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to asimba2 For This Useful Post:
Mein Sprinter (08-13-2019), Wheeljack (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 11:58 PM   #12
Wheeljack

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimba2 View Post
I have enjoyed this thread. Nice work and thanks for posting!
Glad you liked it. I wish I could be better at documenting, but often I just take pictures and before I know it I have a folder of several hundred images that seems to daunting to sort and write up.

And I have certainly benefited immensely from your well done videos and documentation. Gives me something to aspire to. Maybe with my next van...
Wheeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wheeljack For This Useful Post:
asimba2 (08-14-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 04:37 AM   #13
Wheeljack

Not a lot of major progress lately, but just continuing on with the little details.

I replaced my tall pedestal with the shorter pedestal and swivel. I still have to sort out an e-brake solution to use the swivel, but at least it isn't taking up space in the garage anymore.

Of course, like many projects with this van, doing some simple rewiring and seat base swap turns into a rust management and painting exercise as well. This task seemed to stay true to form.

I finally rewired the Espar to be powered off of my aux. battery instead of having it tapped off the builders terminals. I've not had problems draining the battery overnight, but its always in the back of my mind and keeps me from sleeping worry-free.
I did seem to have a problem when I tried to wire this off the load output of the Victron MPPT. Acted like it was shorted. I may not have mentioned it in this thread, but I accidentally bought a 24V version of the heater and had to install an cheap DC/DC boost converter to run the Espar power. I'm not sure if this is the problem or what, but it seems to work OK when wired directly to the aux. battery, so I have it wired that way for now. I would like to investigate this a little more, but there are bigger fish to fry.

I also finally relocated the EasyStart Timer heater control to the area just behind the slider. This is now in a much more accessible position, and easy to turn on/off/adjust from bed.

Also stained the wall panels with a whitewash type stain. Came out pretty nice and brightens things up a bit. Also put some gray gaffers tape on the walls to help blend in a little better. I still need to do some textured painting around the slider, rear doors, and window above the galley.

Outlets for the galley. One cig. adapter is for the Dometic CFX50, the other powers the water pump and USB outlets.

Added ceiling lights and wired them to switches just under the heater controls. 2 zones of 4 lights each with an extra switch to do something else with in the future.

I think I wouldn't mind having a dimmer for these lights as they can be quite bright.

Added some accents and paint to the slab doors used for the bed panels.

I have ordered some loom to clean up the exposed wiring and will need to dress up the upper corners a bit. I plan on ordering AW Mule bags but between those and the L track required to install them, it is about a $1,200 expense. I'm still trying to justify it given the budget nature of this build. It's getting there though. I still have to get the sink all set up again as it was all torn apart when I was staining and painting everything.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wheeljack For This Useful Post:
Island Jim (10-27-2019), pdxkid (10-22-2019), ranchworld (10-25-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 01:30 AM   #14
mtncrawler

Nice build! Still working on my 11’ with similar progress. Do you remember which stain you used on your panels? I go back and forth over covering mine with some sort of light tweed fabric, stain, or actually gluing vinyl plank flooring for an accent. Currently trying to figure out the best way to trim out and cover the wiring above the rear doors and the bundle in the rear corner drivers side.
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:01 AM   #15
Wheeljack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post
Nice build! Still working on my 11’ with similar progress. Do you remember which stain you used on your panels? I go back and forth over covering mine with some sort of light tweed fabric, stain, or actually gluing vinyl plank flooring for an accent. Currently trying to figure out the best way to trim out and cover the wiring above the rear doors and the bundle in the rear corner drivers side.
Thanks! I used Varathane Sunbleached stain
I also tried the Weathered Gray but thought it was too dark. About two years ago, I purchased some 1/4" open cell foam and some microfiber suede type materials and was going to upholster the panels. I decided it wasn't worth the effort for what I wanted in the end. Probably about $500 in materials that will probably go to waste. I've done that a few times on this build. I think I have 11 cans of upholstery grade spray adhesive too.

Now that I built this one and figured out how I wanted to do everything (and what not to do), I'd really really like to build up a newer van, maybe a 4x4. But I think I'll just drive this one until it dies because I'm a cheapskate. And besides, kids and dogs are so tough on things, I only cringe a little bit as they destroy aspects of this one...
The Following User Says Thank You to Wheeljack For This Useful Post:
mtncrawler (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 04:04 PM   #16
mtncrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeljack View Post
Thanks! I used Varathane Sunbleached stain
I also tried the Weathered Gray but thought it was too dark. About two years ago, I purchased some 1/4" open cell foam and some microfiber suede type materials and was going to upholster the panels. I decided it wasn't worth the effort for what I wanted in the end. Probably about $500 in materials that will probably go to waste. I've done that a few times on this build. I think I have 11 cans of upholstery grade spray adhesive too.

Now that I built this one and figured out how I wanted to do everything (and what not to do), I'd really really like to build up a newer van, maybe a 4x4. But I think I'll just drive this one until it dies because I'm a cheapskate. And besides, kids and dogs are so tough on things, I only cringe a little bit as they destroy aspects of this one...
Thanks - I think I saw that color in my local ACE hardware but wasn’t sure how ‘white’ it would be. I’ll have to try a sample.

I’m on a similar path really. Bought the 11’ to use as a ‘sandbox’ in terms of conversion. Find out what we like/don’t like....etc. Thinking of a 170 4x4 at some point when the opportunity comes to hit the road for longer term - but that’s all TBD.
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:50 AM   #17
goinoregon

Thanks for the writeup, and pics. I am playing around with the idea of doing a conversion.
I like your simple sink/fridge cabinet. as well as the table that fits into the cabinet. I like your simple sliding doors, but I could not figure out how you move the sliding doors back, to fit the table in? could you add a couple pics?
keep up the good work.
goinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:51 AM   #18
Wheeljack

The frame is 1" square tube. The door panels are 1/4" and the tracks for both doors takes up about 0.65". This left just enough room to add two 1/4" holes for the pins so the table and doors don't interfere. The biggest issue I have is one of the dogs lacks body awareness and will just push the doors into the cabinet. They are easily put back in the tracks because the coroplast is light and flexible, which has proven to be a double edged sword. But this galley is so cheap and light, it's a tradeoff I don't mind making. See the attached picture for a close-up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191029-214122_Cx File Explorer.jpg (52.8 KB, 95 views)
Old 10-31-2019, 01:20 AM   #19
goinoregon

Thx for the reply, and pic. I think I get it.
u just have thin doors that slide in the extruded aluminum cabinet frame, and can be pushed out of the way, for 'custom table' connections .
go
goinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #20
Wheeljack

I have added a dual USB port to the galley for the charging of electronics and also added a small illuminated rocker switch for the water pump so that the system is only pressurized when needed. The galley electrical is powered by a single cigarette adapter into the wall for easy removal. The Dometic has a separate dedicated adapter to minimize voltage drop.

Then I proceeded to leave water in the lines when we had a cold spell that dropped us below freezing for a couple days a few weeks back and it cracked a fitting at the faucet connection. So now that will need to be resolved to get back in action. But that may just have to wait until spring at this point...as they say, no project like this is ever truly finished.