Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Database

T1N Database Reference Information, Part Numbers, Recalls, TSBs, and etc.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:40 AM   #61
Sprinterbuild

Default Re: DR. A Tech Alert- Rear wheel speed sensors

So I bought a dodge sprinter 2006 2500 cargo with 275,000 miles on it. It is in pretty good shape but I am having ABS issues. I have inspected and cleaned all of the wheel speed sensors along with making sure they are not seized. I went to the ABS module to check the resistance on the sensors and I can't find anything that tells me which pins correlate to which sensor. Here are the values I found

Pin 1, 1-2 ohms
Pin 5, 1-2 ohms
Pin 20 37 ohms
Pin 24, 68 ohms
Pin 32, 1-2 ohms

My logic tells me since I am supposed to have values around 1.8 that 1, 5, 32 and ? are the wheel speed sensors. I also don't have any way of telling which one is which if I am correct. Anyone have the breakdown?
Old 01-17-2017, 05:16 AM   #62
abittenbinder
Doktor A (864-623-9110)

Thanked 2,693 Times in 794 Posts

Feel free to call me during EST business hours.

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
abittenbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #63
Sprinterbuild

So, after getting sent the right direction by Doc A I realized that what I posted before told me nothing! I tested all of the sensors resistances and the all came back 1679 to 1780. Having inspected the tone rings and sensors themselves the only logical conclusion I can come to is the abs module itself? I do miss carburetated engines!!
Old 04-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #64
astrobright

After pulling the hub I found a metal flake stuck to the sensor which I believe turned on the 3 dash lights. Will I need a Dad to clear the code or will it eventually clear on its own given enough time? What does a shop usually charge to clear the lights for a wheel sensor code?
astrobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #65
gggGary
gggGary

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbond10 View Post
Fits 03 and 04 2500 SRW only
Got a dash full of lights "cured" by a restart it's worse in wet weather and the cruise is now in and out. Been kinda 'spishus of the speed sensor rings for a while now. So started looking and found this great thread, thanks all, But WHAT part #s??
Gary 05 118 passenger single wheel 160K living in Rust Belt Central.
PS yesterday I heard a "fan noise" some where under the hood, left front, after the key was off, thought it was the espar running but now suspicious it's ABS related.

Last edited by gggGary; 05-16-2017 at 01:55 PM.
gggGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:52 PM   #66
Brizbarnhart

Exclamation Re: DR. A Tech Alert- Rear wheel speed sensors

My 2004 2500 was driving really weird all of a sudden. Brake pedal felt soft /mushy/went to floor, and I did not feel confident braking. Also the ! ! ! warning light would flash in the dash occasionally a slow speeds and I would lose power (actually it was the ABS engaging without me pressing the brakes). I didn't have any other dash lights illuminating. I tried what Dr. A suggested and inspected the rear right wheel ABS speed sensor (took off wheel, brake caliper and rotor to see it). The sensor was too far from the tone wheel. I put a business card in between the tone wheel and sensor for spacing, then lightly taped the sensor closer in. For anyone doing this, the sensor is not bolted in or anything like that, it simply slips into the hole with a very snug fit. So taping the back end of it where the cable connects is how you move it closer to the tone wheel. You can back the sensor away from the tone wheel by wedging a screw driver between the sensor and the tone wheel and prying it away. I have driven it about 20 miles since doing this and the brakes feel much better and I have not have the ! ! ! thing happen. A couple things that I've noticed in the past few weeks since this happened is my exhaust smell being more potent and a slight rumble at slow speeds. Has anyone else experienced these issues?

Last edited by Brizbarnhart; 10-30-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Brizbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:50 AM   #67
Hugh.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by abittenbinder View Post
I agree it is a good idea to clean and inspect the rear wheel speed sensors and tone wheels at least during every brake job.

Keep in mind that a wide, mis-adjusted sensor gap is NOT logged as a fault in the ABS/ESP module.

A wide gap results in a very weak or dropped signal at slow speeds which is interpreted as wheel lock. No malfunction of hardware occurring, just a mis-interpretation, hence no fault code.

Doktor A
Hi DR A
I have a 2007 sprinter that I have changed the ratio on and have come up with the air gap to large problem in the faults at the dealer for the rear axles.
I think the advice here is for the TIN do you have a recomended fix for the NCV
Thanks in advance
Hugh.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #68
dhc2124

OK, Anyone ever have this happen? I had a rear wheel speed sensor fail so I took it into Mercedes to be replaced. They do say it is a failed wheel speed sensor but are saying it is going to cost me $661.00 to replace. I pointed out that the warranty for this part is 5 years or 100,000 miles ( I am at 4 years with 20,000 miles.) ss shown in the warranty supplied with my RV, under CA emissions warranty. They keep referring to the 3 year/ 36000 mile warranty. Should I just pay to fix and then sue Mercedes Corp in small claims forfeiture to repair? Thanks in advance.
dhc2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:57 PM   #69
Cheyenne
UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Thanked 1,823 Times in 1,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhc2124 View Post
OK, Anyone ever have this happen? I had a rear wheel speed sensor fail so I took it into Mercedes to be replaced. They do say it is a failed wheel speed sensor but are saying it is going to cost me $661.00 to replace. I pointed out that the warranty for this part is 5 years or 100,000 miles ( I am at 4 years with 20,000 miles.) ss shown in the warranty supplied with my RV, under CA emissions warranty. They keep referring to the 3 year/ 36000 mile warranty. Should I just pay to fix and then sue Mercedes Corp in small claims forfeiture to repair? Thanks in advance.
Hi dhc2124,

As your Sprinter is still less than five years old it will be an NCV3 and not a T1N so you have posted in the wrong section of the forum (the last T1N was built in 2006 for the USA).

May I suggest you search under the NCV3 sub-forum for rear wheel sensor failures as there have been quite a few reported.

Keith.

PS What does your warranty book say about cover for the wheel speed sensor, this should be the definitive document.

Sprinter reference info site http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote