Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:34 AM   #11
2010Passenger170

Default Re: Is the factory alternator enough?

Hello, Iíve just bought a 2010 sprinter crew bus with a M46 14 V/220 A ALTERNATOR according to the VIN build sheet
Iím considering lithium 200ah for house power and was wondering what If anything I can do with the house alternator and battery isolator ( chassis bat / lithium house bat) to keep both batteries charges. Solar and shore power are options as well
2010Passenger170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:30 AM   #12
downunder

Hi Drose,
I bought the additional alternator bracket on the 4x4 but really doubt I will ever use it.
I also upgraded to the factory 220amp alternator against the 180amp standard version as I knew that I was later adding a 200ah Lithium battery for the same items that you are proposing. It puts in 40-60amps regularly when driving via a dc-dc mppt charger. If the van is plugged in to 240volts it also charges the 200ah battery via an inverter-charger at the same amount as and when required.
I found that I needed solar for the days that you sit around and don't drive, and can't access 240v. That can be a nuisance and it takes a while and many miles/kms to recharge whilst driving.
Now with the solar panels (540watts) it works without thinking to hard about it assuming that the sun shines (no shortage of that in Aus).
Ask the forum if you want other tips on what options to add to your 4x4 as well if you feel it necessary. Some of the cheapest options are the most used.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:09 AM   #13
elemental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010Passenger170 View Post
Hello, Iíve just bought a 2010 sprinter crew bus with a M46 14 V/220 A ALTERNATOR according to the VIN build sheet
Iím considering lithium 200ah for house power and was wondering what If anything I can do with the house alternator and battery isolator ( chassis bat / lithium house bat) to keep both batteries charges. Solar and shore power are options as well
As suggested, a DC-to-DC charger is the ideal way to charge from the vehicle to your battery setup. Charging through a battery isolator/ACR arrangement only has the vehicle systems attempting to control charge voltage. Two issues (among others):
  • Low state of charge on the lithium house batteries pulls current in excess of factory-recommended 40 amps from vehicle because the lithium's love to suck up the juice
  • Vehicle charging doesn't optimize voltages for lithium batteries, battery cycle count is reduced

Having said that, I've read that some folks do exactly what you are doing and recharge just through the vehicle system and a battery isolator. However, let's assume you have a DC-to-DC charger with current pulled off the vehicle limited to 40 amps, and an appropriate lithium charging profile to maximize lithium lifetime as more of an ideal approach. If you draw the lithium batteries down to 20% state of charge in between charging opportunities, you'll need to generate some 180 or so amp-hours (12 v) to replenish the 160 amp-hours of battery storage. If you limit the DC-to-DC charger to a 40 amp draw off the vehicle system (what the factory recommends), you'll need something like 4 1/2 hours drive time to bring batteries up to 100% state of charge. Whether you draw them down that far, and whether you drive that far depends upon your load profile.

If your load profile won't work with this charging scenario, then you can look to solar as long as you don't mind the van being in the sun. You can fit any where from 200 watts to 800 watts of solar on the roof depending on van size and how much of your rooftop real estate is used up by other things like ventilation fans, air conditioners, roof racks, etc. The panel rating is a maximum wattage that you probably won't see, even under ideal conditions, so figure no more than 50% of rated capacity on average for 6 hours/day in the summer, less in winter. 200 watts at 12 V DC is about 16 amps, over 6 hours this nets you some 96 amp-hours at 12 VDC, which recovers some 86 amp-hours of battery storage. Double the panel capacity to 400 watts to recover 172 amp-hours at 12 VDC each day, which gets you your usable lithium capacity recovered in a day. Whether or not you need this much daily recovery capacity depends on your usage profile. If your system allows simultaneous vehicle alternator and solar PV panel inputs, then you can reduce overall re-charge time if you are driving and it is sunny.

Recharging from shore power is the easy win IF shore power is handy. Even just 15 amps of 110 V AC shore power gets you 130+ amps at 12 V DC, so recovery of usable lithium capacity is under 2 hours.

This is all rough numbers so you can see if you are in the ballpark. You need to know your load profile (what devices consuming how much energy when and for how long) to know how rapidly you will deplete your 200 amp hours of lithium battery storage, and your driving/solar exposure/shore power accessibility to see whether that can fill your batteries back up. If the discharge and charge sides seem to balance reasonably well for your usage scenarios, then it is time to design the system and pick components.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elemental For This Useful Post:
aksotar (03-15-2019), autostaretx (03-15-2019), kielp (03-18-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #14
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 6,789 Times in 4,994 Posts

I do wish happy people would list brands and models of the devices they're happy about (such as downunder's "dc-dc mppt charger").
It helps the next guy avoid discovering which other "similar" brands don't work.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
GSWatson (03-15-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 06:23 AM   #15
downunder

Sorry autostaretx, I didn't think it necessary as I doubted that Enerdrive is available in the US?
However the dc-dc is an Enerdrive DC2DC+ epower charger, multi stage multi source with mppt. 40amp.
The inverter charger is an Enerdrive EPRO Combi 1600va inverter charger, dc -ac true sine wave battery charger with auto transfer switch (240v input 12 volt output).
The battery is an Enerdrive Lithium 200ah slim version. Happy with the lot.
It is possible that the dc2dc is also sold or originally branded as Kisae, a brand that you can likely access easily in the US? Visually they look identical.
Highly value all that you contribute Dick.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to downunder For This Useful Post:
autostaretx (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #16
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 6,789 Times in 4,994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Sorry autostaretx, I didn't think it necessary as I doubted that Enerdrive is available in the US?
I realized that possibility, but we still like to drool...

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, batteries, bracket, solar, stock