Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Classifieds > For Sale (Sprinter vans Only)

For Sale (Sprinter vans Only) Post Sprinter Vans for sale here. Vans must be driveable, otherwise, they go to the parts section here.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:00 AM   #1
aldsmith3

Default 2005 118" Cargo HC FOR SALE - Colorado

Greetings Sprinter Forum,

Up for sale is a 2005 2500 HC Cargo in the 118" wheelbase. The van currently has 88k miles. Really still a baby (and it's baby blue). I bought it last year with 82k and have since upgraded the stock suspension to Koni front struts and rear shocks. Doktor A also gave it a look over and helped me replace a few items to cement it's track towards the high-mileage potential that these older T1Ns are known for. (I'll give more details in a follow-up post)

The van and I currently live in Gunnison, Colorado. And because the winter is long and the temps cold the van remains parked more than it is driven.

I am hopeful that there is some aspiring van lifer, or Sprinter enthusiast(s) whom would love to give this van a new home and perhaps the life it deserves. I am owner # 2. The van is pretty much stock aside from various small upgrades/updates. I will post a list of things that have been done since I've owned it as well as some pictures when the weather allows.

In the meantime, a picture for those interested can be seen here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/kVyNxJKPvw7SptFm9

Asking price - which is what I paid and put into it thus far - $13,500.

Thanks for your interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0131191622_2 (1).jpg (130.9 KB, 123 views)
Old 03-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
kudu

Default Re: 2005 118" Cargo HC FOR SALE - Colorado

Sent you a message.
kudu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kudu For This Useful Post:
aldsmith3 (03-16-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 04:16 PM   #3
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 6,790 Times in 4,995 Posts

A few months ago there was a member seeking a high-top 118 ... it might have even been Kudu.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
aldsmith3 (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 12:08 AM   #4
aldsmith3

Thank you for the patience. I have given the van a bath and posted photos to my Google account. Here is a link that anyone should have access to: https://photos.app.goo.gl/kVyNxJKPvw7SptFm9

I took a lot of photos. I wanted to capture everything that I would wish to see if I were buying this. As you'll see in the photos, this van is in good shape cosmetically.

I'll follow-up in a few hours with more details.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:09 AM   #5
aldsmith3

Post Re: 2005 118" Cargo HC FOR SALE - Colorado

More on the van...

Previous owner was a person from California. Before they sold/traded it, they had moved to New York State (maybe last two-three years of ownership). From what I could tell on the Carfax report I saw before purchase, the previous owner used a Dodge Dealership for his maintenance and he stuck pretty close to the recommended factory service intervals. I purchased this van in October of 2018 through a used car dealership in Chicago and have since owned the van in North Carolina and now Colorado.

Mechanically I believe this van to be a 10/10. Part of this confidence comes from a) driving it, b) having owned another T1N of similar vintage, and c) because of Doktor Aís confidence and nickname of it as the ďTime MachineĒ (because of its excellent mechanical shape).

As you can see from the photos of my maintenance log and Doktor Aís bill (link here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/kVyNxJKPvw7SptFm9) there have been a few items replaced by Doktor A (Sprinter guru - tons of info on him throughout this forum). Namely the v-belt, the small and large idler pulleys and we did a full transmission drain and refill (w/ updated socket connector). All parts/fluids/etc were Mercedes-Benz or MB approved suppliers. Additionally, in the short time Iíve owned this van Iíve replaced the front brake calipers and pads with Bosch and have also had installed Koni front struts and rear shocks as well as a coolant and power steering flush/refill. Also new, as of December, are Nokian Rotiva AT tires. They handle like a champ in low traction environments and other 118Ē owners recommend them.

Where this van needs some attention is cosmetically. As you can see from the photos there are a few small spots of surface rust that I had intended on treating and then winter happened (can only do so much without a heated garage space). There is a spot on the passenger side door (down low beside the moisture weep hole); a few spots on the outside of the rear door, under the rear window, and a small spot - size of a quarter) above the window. As well, and perhaps the more concerning area are the bubbles that have formed beside the windshield (driver side - see picture). It is likely that whomever replaced the windshield inadvertently sliced the sheet metal and created a perfect spot for rust to form. I will say this, if your in the market for a used T1N then you likely already know about the poor paint jobs from factory (especially in white), and the challenges with rust (especially for Northeastern sibling vans). That said, this was my next area of focus after ensuring the van was mechanically sound. My inclination was to do some get-by spot treatments on these small, isolated areas and then continue to monitor them. If they ever became deeper than surface I would seek the next solution. I toyed with the idea of a new paint job and the spots just werenít to a point that I could justify that cost yet.

Also, as seen in the photos, the mini-camper conversion has already begun. Iíve sound deadened the rear cargo area (wheel wells, sides and ceiling) as well as mostly completed the insulation (ceiling near finished, floor hasnít been started). The sides have reflective poly board in the large cut-outs and wool battens in all the recesses, and the ceiling has poly board (none of which is affixed with adhesive yet) on top of the sound deadening material; I have been waiting for the weather to warm to finalize this phase of the build. The factory plastic panels cover the side walls and side slider and rear cargo doors (with insulation behind all of these of course, too). So, whomever purchases this van next is already sitting in a good spot - if they intend to convert this that is. Though, conversion or not, the van is certainly more quiet and warmer then it was from factory so itís seems a positive regardless.

Iím including a box of goodies with the sale of this van - extra filters, fluids, LED taillight/turn signal/brake light bulbs, a few parts (v-belt, new turbo resonator replacement, etc.). The headlights are LED bulbs and they put out quite a bit of brilliant white light at night. Additionally, the fog beams are LED and are bright to boot as well - illuminating the sides of the road much better than the headlights alone. After converting another T1N a few years ago (2006 in a 158Ē wheelbase) I simply just donít have the passion for this project like I thought I would. And, Iíd much rather see this van go to a fellow enthusiast rather than to a car dealer as a trade-in. Iím hoping that a DIY Sprinter enthusiast is reading this and itching to pick-up where I left off.

Iím sitting pretty dang firm at an asking price of $13,500. With all the mechanical maintenance and additional upgrades (suspension, tires, insulation/sound deadening) Iíll be lucky to break even on what Iíve invested (including of course the initial purchase price). These 118Ē wheelbases are cult vans and because they are already rare to find (and nearly impossible to find with low miles like this one) they tend to hold a higher price tag than 140Ē and 158Ē wheelbases. I know this van isnít perfect; and I also know that itís a damn great van and someone will be plenty happy with it. It has a lot of life yet (current record for a T1N is 1,000,500 miles!). This van, with regular maintenance and care will easily do 600,000+ miles or more! Speaking of miles, I average 23-26 mpg and with the factory installed cruise control, this van hums down the highway in comfort with the same exact power plant as the longer wheelbases (think: less weight = more power, more pep and an awesome turning radius).

Iím sure I left something out that someone may be curious about. Please do not hesitate to comment below or PM me. Iíll do my best to answer in a timely fashion.

Thanks for your patience and interest. Good evening to all.

Tags
118, 118", 2005 sprinter, for sale, t1n