Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners

Old 05-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
vrub123

Default Looking to get sprinter cheep at auction what am I risking?

Hey guys I have been a long time lurker. I decided to get a sprinter hopefully 170" I dont really care what year.

I am in socal LA area near all the auction places and I see they have sprinters from time to time. I went and previewed 1 yesterday and also there is another 1 next week that I want to check out. The one I saw yesterday was like 270K Miles salvage title from light body damage. It started but I am not a mechanic and dont know if there are engine issues as well.

I want to get something cheep but dont want to get into a crap load of searious problems.
Is there any way to figure out if the engine is good? I took a picture of the errors comming up when I started it.

One of the tires is blown and there is some light body damage I can live with to the side where the tire is blown.

It started up just fine and I revved the engine so thats a good sign at least.

Here is a pic of the console with light codes and milage etc...

Last edited by vrub123; 05-25-2019 at 09:53 PM.
vrub123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #2
Cheyenne
UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Thanked 1,549 Times in 1,082 Posts
Default Re: Looking to get sprinter cheep at auction what am I risking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrub123 View Post
Hey guys I have been a long time lurker. I decided to get a sprinter hopefully 170" I dont really care what year.

I am in socal LA area near all the auction places and I see they have sprinters from time to time. I went and previewed 1 yesterday and also there is another 1 next week that I want to check out. The one I saw yesterday was like 270K Miles salvage title from light body damage. It started but I am not a mechanic and dont know if there are engine issues as well.

I want to get something cheep but dont want to get into a crap load of searious problems.
Is there any way to figure out if the engine is good? I took a picture of the errors comming up when I started it.

One of the tires is blown and there is some light body damage I can live with to the side where the tire is blown.

It started up just fine and I revved the engine so thats a good sign at least.

Here is a pic of the console with light codes and milage etc...
Hi Vrub,

A tip when posting, use the paperclip at the top of the Message box to add images.

https://ibb.co/g6fqyrR

Keith.

Sprinter reference info site http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:10 PM   #3
Matt Foley

What are you risking? Up to $14k if the engine is bad.
Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Foley For This Useful Post:
ptheland (05-26-2019), The Grand Tour (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 05:11 AM   #4
ptheland
2013 144" low top Passgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrub123 View Post
The one I saw yesterday was like 270K Miles salvage title from light body damage.
You cannot be sure that the salvage title is from the body damage. It could be from something else, such as suspension or other damage which isn't as obvious.

It's also possible that someone bought it previously at an auction with a salvage title, fixed up some things, and then found some hidden damage that made a proper repair uneconomic. So they put it back into the auction to recoup what they could. There's also a chance that someone just did a quick coverup of more extensive damage and put it back into the salvage auction to make a quick few bucks.

In short, salvage auctions are not for the feint of heart, and they're definitely not something to go into blindly with no education.

If you want to learn about buying and fixing cars bought at salvage, go to YouTube, look up the user named Samcrac, then go back to the beginning of his channel and start watching all of his videos. You'll learn an awful lot about buying and fixing cars at salvage auctions. There are other YouTubers who do similar work, but I find Sam's videos more informative and easier to watch. Yes, he makes mistakes, but he admits to them and learns from them. Far better for you to learn from someone else's mistakes than learn by making them yourself.

Let's make it easy on you - here's a link to all of his videos. Scroll to the bottom and start watching there. https://www.youtube.com/user/Samcrac/videos

If you don't want to get education on salvage cars, don't buy one. Stick to clean titles instead. You might not get quite as good a deal, but you are far less likely to make hugely expensive mistakes. Plus, you can get the car inspected by a mechanic before you buy.

2013 144" wheelbase, low roof passenger, with wheelchair lift in side door (soon operational, but not yet cosmetic)
ptheland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ptheland For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (05-26-2019), Mickyfin (05-26-2019), The Grand Tour (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 10:21 PM   #5
showkey

Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,097 Posts

Cars and trucks end up at auctions for several reasons...........the most common reasons they have issue ( usually BIG issues). The auction allows an almost anonymous, no test drives, sold as is sale.

We all have Sprinters here and its often a love/hate experience. That said, Sprinter I can’t think of a worse vehicle to buy that’s high mileage, unknown history and an almost blind purchase.

Especially in LA where you have to pass emissions to get plates.
If a Sprinter needs $5000-$8000 to fix DEF, DPF and NOX sensors ...............it’s gets traded in and dealer sends to auction. That just Emissions stuff........engine as already been mentioned at $14k and Trans is $4-5k

Last edited by showkey; 05-26-2019 at 11:10 PM.
showkey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to showkey For This Useful Post:
Bobnoxious (05-27-2019), The Grand Tour (05-28-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 12:41 AM   #6
sassmatt72
2006 low top 10 pass

well I got a long tall cargo TN1, only 7500$ it was an auction van but not by me, 200k.... but 3 weeks degreasing the interior but no rust.

was a hydraulic service van w diesel air compressor in cab (vented outside).

but owned by a big company so serviced well. still was a risk. (also rear step hit hard so trailer hitch mounting area of frame (behind suspension pick-up, dr side) bent and floor 1/4" buckled up.... you take your chances.

I had to do glow plugs and module, but all were previously replaced, so easy to remove but stressful. also a San Jose area van in very good body shape as well... a/c issue (not yet resolved) and leaking windshield seal.

Last edited by sassmatt72; 05-27-2019 at 12:47 AM. Reason: added details
sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:45 AM   #7
sassmatt72
2006 low top 10 pass

also replaced the turbo resonator and pressure hoses to and from intercooler. and typical services (air/oil/fuel filters, etc) not much else yet.

did Dr. A rumble strip mod when service of trans without and indication of need, (done my 3 vans and two others 3 of 5 desperately need it, one just showing sings, this one no signs but preventative, no MPG change)

also had to get the CA flash (service bulletin) for DMV, even tho it passed a smog check a day before.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:10 PM   #8
danski0224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
What are you risking? Up to $14k if the engine is bad.
And more $$$ if other stuff is bad too...

OEM code readers are expensive.

If you are in business flipping auction Sprinters for profit, and are successful at it... that's one thing.

Buying one and hoping to get a deal is more likely to turn into a financial disaster.
danski0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danski0224 For This Useful Post:
Jonesy6626 (05-28-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 03:01 AM   #9
sassmatt72
2006 low top 10 pass

I forgot to mention the the lower steering shaft bearing was collapsed too...