Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > VS30 Sprinters > VS30 4x4 Talk

VS30 4x4 Talk General Discussions related to VS30 4x4 Sprinters.


 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2018, 01:39 AM   #1
snowcruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 57
Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Dealers tells me 4,000 4x4s will be produced...

Went to my dealer today to find out about the VS30 4x4s. He told me only 4,000 will be produced and that they have no idea on timeframe. He also said the 2019s coming in so far (non-4x4) are still coming in from Germany and the South Carolina plant, which he recently visited is almost online but is going to be backed up with an order of 20,000 VS30s from Amazon. He said the last 2018 4x4 he ordered took 10 months to arrive at the dealer and not to get hopes up.

Went down the road to chat with Ford about Transits, and their commercial guy said the Mercedes Dealers are all pissed because Winnebago is getting most of the 4x4s being produced for 2019 to turn into Revels. The truth lies somewhere in the middle but thought I'd share.

On another note the VS30 4x2, drives very nice but I prefer the 2018 myself. Really don't care for the shifter on the 2019 myself.
snowcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snowcruiser For This Useful Post:
Mikayla (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 03:19 AM   #2
battleborn
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 40
Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Dealers tells me 4,000 4x4s will be produced...

Mercedes really **** the bed on the way they have handled the Sprinter - with huge demand they totally cut the supply off for the 4x4 - I have personally talked to four dealers on the west coast and it’s the same storey- basically their sprinter sales department is “closed” due to no product to sell... and a good luck on finding your van... I can only guess what that means to the bottom line long term...
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to battleborn For This Useful Post:
Mikayla (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
zmoseley4
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Dealers tells me 4,000 4x4s will be produced...

So I was going to order a 2019 4x4 144 Crew Van as soon as my dealer is ready for it. I don’t mind waiting, but from what I am seeing here, it almost seems like it’s a lost cause. I’m trying to stay positive, but these things are so hard to find, and very little info is out there about them!
zmoseley4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zmoseley4 For This Useful Post:
ctmcdaniel (12-28-2018), Mikayla (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
Matt Foley
 
Matt Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Down by the river
Posts: 264
Thanks: 141
Thanked 134 Times in 88 Posts
Default Re: Dealers tells me 4,000 4x4s will be produced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcruiser View Post
Went to my dealer today to find out about the VS30 4x4s. He told me only 4,000 will be produced and that they have no idea on timeframe. He also said the 2019s coming in so far (non-4x4) are still coming in from Germany and the South Carolina plant, which he recently visited is almost online but is going to be backed up with an order of 20,000 VS30s from Amazon. He said the last 2018 4x4 he ordered took 10 months to arrive at the dealer and not to get hopes up.

Went down the road to chat with Ford about Transits, and their commercial guy said the Mercedes Dealers are all pissed because Winnebago is getting most of the 4x4s being produced for 2019 to turn into Revels. The truth lies somewhere in the middle but thought I'd share.

On another note the VS30 4x2, drives very nice but I prefer the 2018 myself. Really don't care for the shifter on the 2019 myself.
I'd take that with a mountain of salt. No dealers know what the mothership is really doing or going to do. Period. Production is based on estimated sales and private orders. They will produce as many as they can sell during the model run. They may be German, but they're still very much capitalists.

This is basically a rumor thread.
Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Foley For This Useful Post:
Boxster1971 (12-28-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
Mikayla
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 3
Thanks: 30
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Dealers tells me 4,000 4x4s will be produced...

I talked to the dealer in my area ( central Florida ) and both times he told me 12 months for a 4x4. I came here today hoping there is a way around that. This is disappointing. I don't know what to do now. That's a long wait and I doubt they will guarantee that.
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #6
Mikayla
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 3
Thanks: 30
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Dealers tells me 4,000 4x4s will be produced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
I'd take that with a mountain of salt. No dealers know what the mothership is really doing or going to do. Period. Production is based on estimated sales and private orders. They will produce as many as they can sell during the model run. They may be German, but they're still very much capitalists.

This is basically a rumor thread.
My dealer told me there will be a limited number of 4x4's and that dealers are only allotted a certain amount, varying by location/ need. The way I understood it is that a dealer in the mountains or up north will have access to more to sell. I will contact a dealer in WA and see if they get more and how long it will take.
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
Matt Foley
 
Matt Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Down by the river
Posts: 264
Thanks: 141
Thanked 134 Times in 88 Posts
Default Re: Dealers tells me 4,000 4x4s will be produced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayla View Post
My dealer told me there will be a limited number of 4x4's and that dealers are only allotted a certain amount, varying by location/ need. The way I understood it is that a dealer in the mountains or up north will have access to more to sell. I will contact a dealer in WA and see if they get more and how long it will take.
It doesn't matter what your dealer tells you about future production. They do not have that kind of information. Mercedes will make production decisions based on the actual market. If 50,000 people order a 4x4 they'll try and produce 50,000 of them.


A dealership is not a branch of MB the company. They are a franchise. They're just there to sell the cars and if you ask 10 different dealerships you will get a wide array of answers. It's all just speculation.

The conversation you had with your dealer is an example of Scarcity Marketing, which MB is clearly employing on 4x4 Sprinters. Once they have serious competition in the market things may change. Rolex does the same thing, for example.

Last edited by Matt Foley; 12-27-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matt Foley For This Useful Post:
Boxster1971 (12-28-2018), JFM (01-15-2019), jimdog (12-31-2018), sailquik (12-28-2018), VWbrad (12-28-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 07:31 PM   #8
enjoitheride
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 89
Thanks: 35
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Dealers tells me 4,000 4x4s will be produced...

A dealer by me just got an Ď18 in they ordered 11 months ago. Itís where I bought my 4x4 from. He just got back from the SC plant. He was doing a one week tour and training. He said, the 4x4 is going to be really limited. He said orders will take probably the same amount of time to get as the current one; 10-12 months. Also, Amazon has priority right now with their 30k orders.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
enjoitheride is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enjoitheride For This Useful Post:
Mikayla (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #9
Mikayla
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 3
Thanks: 30
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Dealers tells me 4,000 4x4s will be produced...

That's it, I'm done playing around, I'm sending in Nurse Knockout!

We'll soon know how fast they can get us a 4x4 Sprinter if they really want to!

Let me explain: A gentleman that claims to own several car dealerships has taken a liking to Nurse Knockout on an online dating site some time ago, and he makes it sound like he can get one right away.
All things considered, a dinner date dressed in a Halloween costume in December in exchange for shaving a few months off the wait time of a 4x4 Sprinter seems reasonable. LOL I'm not convinced yet but I will go with it and see where it goes. I have a sneaking suspicion the only thing I'll get out of this is a good laugh but I will be able to say I tried ( almost ) everything!
I am a good sport so I added a couple of pictures. If this works I will lend the outfit to all of my fellow 4x4 Sprinter van seekers! :)
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikayla For This Useful Post:
ctmcdaniel (12-28-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 09:22 PM   #10
zmoseley4
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Dealers tells me 4,000 4x4s will be produced...

Thank you everyone for the responses. I guess it sounds like it will just be a waiting game once I get it ordered it’s just unknown how long! That leads me to my next question. In the past, can anyone remember about when Mercedes started to take orders for new model year vans? My local dealer is saying hopefully in January. I talked to another dealer in Northern Virginia who said he could go ahead and order one now. I’m a bit confused on that. My local dealer says he has ordered numerous 4x4s in the past, so he sounds like he knows what he is talking about. My local dealer said nobody has access to order a 2019 right now unless you are ordering for a fleet, which I’m not. Any ideas?
zmoseley4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zmoseley4 For This Useful Post:
Hiwallman (01-11-2019)

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.