Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Pleasure-Way

Old 11-28-2018, 09:21 PM   #11
vidwize

Default Re: Spare tire carrier

Westham

I see few options on shorter or reconfigured units, I would keep new tires on camper, I also would never patch a tire, Also Replace tires if aged out ( Every tire has an age of manufacture stamped into them ) This would be your best option ! I do now even with a spare.

Good luck my friend, My last fly fishing trip was a few weeks ago to the Little Red River in Arkansas, (Robert F Kennedy US Corp. campground base of dam ) Rainbows were biting adult Midges on the surface, 1.5 foot rainbows were jumping 2 ft. out of the water ....... Very exiting ...caught a few....nice ones
vidwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:58 PM   #12
Westham

Westham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:07 AM   #13
bigpapaporsche

I'll be adding a Spare Tire Carrier as soon as it arrives, ETA 2 weeks. Roadmaster has 2 models available depending on your tire/rim size, both mount using the Rear Trailer Hitch Receiver. Our "PleasureWay" uses 16 inch rims, so their newer model p/n 195125 will work and I'll be able to save about $150.00 as compared to their larger model. My original plan was to replicate their design, but when I put a pencil to it, it just wasn't worth the effort, all thing considered! I will attach pictures and more info when completed. BTW, I will be attaching the "Stowaway-2," (to store out 2 Folding Bikes) to this Carrier to complete the total job.
bigpapaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #14
bigpapaporsche

Default Re: Necessity for a Spare Tire

There is a lot of conversation regarding the need for a Spare Tire on today's Vehicles/RV. Obviously the availability of Passenger Vehicles vs a RV Tires is much different primarily because of the availability of the Passenger Tires on every street corner, this is not true for RV Tires! If you are "On the Fence," in considering adding a Spare Tire to your RV, I would suggest that you ask Google, How many Flat Tires were in the USA in 2017? I seen the figure of 220 Million Flat Tires on several sites, although I find this hard to believe.
We consider a Spare Tire an essential piece of equipment for us to have on board our RV, although ironically we hope we never have to use it! We view it like you would a Boat's Life Preserver or House Fire Extinguisher, you hope you will never need it, but you better know how to use it should the time arrive. I'll be happy if we avoid the inconvenience from just one Flat Tire! We are in the process of "Fine-Tuning'" the installation of a "Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier" on our PleasureWay XL as we speak. We found it necessary to make several modifications to the Carrier to better fit our application. A Custom Wheel Cover, with the Mercedes Benz emblem centered and painted the body color will finish off the installation. More info with pictures will be posted when completed.
bigpapaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:19 AM   #15
Wirehead

We have a 2018 PW XLTS on Alcoa forged rims. As noted in other posts, PW discontinued the spare tire several years ago according to PW. We had a front tire valve that cracked at Big Bend National Park while adding air before departing. Down there help comes from 120 miles away one way. The valve is white metal not nickel plated brass. PW did pay for my part of the road service call. I have since changed the other front tire valve to a nickel-plated brass unit as recommended by a truck tire dealer I use. (PS the tire valve extenders on the rear duallys are worthless and Mercedes and PW said the other is responsible- they are only good as caps - the truck tire dealer does not put them on any tire they install for any truck, SUV, you name it)

After that I wanted to get a spare tire... I looked at Roadmaster at $500+ and Overlander option that cost $700+....I was just about to order the Roadmaster recently when I came across Hornet Outdoors, a family-owned business, in Colorado. They made a unit that looked like it would handle a Mercedes Benz 3500 tire and rim. I ordered it.. U-4100 Universal Heavy Duty Receiver Hitch Spare Tire Mount with a Hitch Stabilizer..but it didn't quite fit the rim. I talked with the owners, sent them rim measurements and they offered to make one that would fit and eventually market it. They offered the new vertical piece for free if I would return the original vertical piece. The beta test unit came and was not a perfect fit but usable if I used some nylon and USS washers on one of the bolts. I am sure they will be tweaking the unit based on refined measurements I sent them.

The total price will come to about $180 plus $15 for grade 8 bolts, washers, nuts, etc. for mounting from boltdepot.com. It comes with one hitch pin. I bought hitch locks for the connectors.

But for less than $250, you can put together a very good tire carrier with the folks at Hornet Outdoors.
Wirehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:46 AM   #16
fans4cal

I've just joined this forum and wanted folks to know that we have removed the factory installed tire mount on our (newly acquired) 2015 Pleasure-Way Plateau. It is in perfect shape and if anyone is looking for a tire mount just let me know.

Terry
fans4cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #17
R&JCruising

R&JCruising
R&JCruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:49 AM   #18
fans4cal

I have a spare tire holder (as well as a spare tire and nice tire cover) that was originally installed on our 2015 Pleasure Way. We took it off so we could open both rear doors. Would you be interested in purchasing it? I can send you lots of pictures.

We are in the San Francisco area so it could be a great excuse for a California adventure.
fans4cal is offline   Reply With Quote