Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.


 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
Jordan892008
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 29
Thanks: 33
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Exclamation Power steering out and battery light on

Hey guys,

This is actually my first post here on the forum, so thanks for having me!

I recently purchased an '06 Frieghtliner Sprinter down near Austin, TX, and drove it a full 1,000 miles back north to South Dakota.

I've had it for a few days now and just when I was coming home from work and turning a corner near my house the power steering went out and the battery indicator light on the dash board came on.

I tried to search for previous threads on this issue and could only find this one:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...teering+batter

I got excited over it but unfortunately there's not an answer in there. Anyone have an ideas what the issue could be?

The manual says the power steering won't work without the battery, but the car starts up fine and everything else seems to be working?

Thanks in advance,
Jordan
Jordan892008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:22 PM   #2
RJV
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Milwaukee, WI / Denver, CO
Posts: 301
Thanks: 98
Thanked 121 Times in 71 Posts
Default Re: Power steering out and battery light on

I would start by checking my power steering fluid level and that my serpentine belt and all related pulleys, tensioner, and clutches are working properly. I'd also look for a date on my battery and depending on age I'd consider replacing it, regardless of it being the main issue or not.
__________________
Rob
2004 & 2006 2500s
SHC 140

Last edited by RJV; 06-25-2019 at 02:24 PM.
RJV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RJV For This Useful Post:
Jordan892008 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
Bobnoxious
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Noxville, Noxious
Posts: 14,800
Thanks: 8,279
Thanked 5,173 Times in 3,710 Posts
Default Re: Power steering out and battery light on

Hii Jordan, prior to beginning any Diagnostics, it's imperative the electrical system is operating optimally. Beginning with the battery. Refer to 2006 manual for details.

http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-SM.pdf

Also, a good scanner is needed, trying to diagnose without a scanner is expensive guessing. I'll refer to others the best scanner for a 2006.

More info:

https://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/con...st-Battery.pdf

https://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/con...Come-First.pdf

Meanwhile, check your power steering fluid level and serpentine belt.
Bobnoxious is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobnoxious For This Useful Post:
Jordan892008 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
flyag1
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NWA
Posts: 224
Thanks: 3
Thanked 81 Times in 56 Posts
Default Re: Power steering out and battery light on

Normal after your belt jumps off... engine will get hot very fast after.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan892008 View Post
Hey guys,

This is actually my first post here on the forum, so thanks for having me!

I recently purchased an '06 Frieghtliner Sprinter down near Austin, TX, and drove it a full 1,000 miles back north to South Dakota.

I've had it for a few days now and just when I was coming home from work and turning a corner near my house the power steering went out and the battery indicator light on the dash board came on.

I tried to search for previous threads on this issue and could only find this one:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...teering+batter

I got excited over it but unfortunately there's not an answer in there. Anyone have an ideas what the issue could be?

The manual says the power steering won't work without the battery, but the car starts up fine and everything else seems to be working?

Thanks in advance,
Jordan
flyag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flyag1 For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (06-25-2019), Bobnoxious (06-25-2019), Jordan892008 (06-25-2019), The Grand Tour (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #5
Jordan892008
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 29
Thanks: 33
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Power steering out and battery light on

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJV View Post
I would start by checking my power steering fluid level and that my serpentine belt and all related pulleys, tensioner, and clutches are working properly. I'd also look for a date on my battery and depending on age I'd consider replacing it, regardless of it being the main issue or not.
Checked the levels and the power steering reservoir seems to be empty! Now to figure out what kind of power steering fluid is needed?

I did look at those hoses connecting to it and although they were a bit dirty, they weren't disconnected. Potentially a leak though?
Jordan892008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
Jordan892008
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 29
Thanks: 33
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Power steering out and battery light on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxious View Post
Hii Jordan, prior to beginning any Diagnostics, it's imperative the electrical system is operating optimally. Beginning with the battery. Refer to 2006 manual for details.

http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-SM.pdf

Also, a good scanner is needed, trying to diagnose without a scanner is expensive guessing. I'll refer to others the best scanner for a 2006.

More info:

https://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/con...st-Battery.pdf

https://www.mbwholesaleparts.com/con...Come-First.pdf

Meanwhile, check your power steering fluid level and serpentine belt.
Thank you very much for this info! I will read through it and put that manual link to good use.
Jordan892008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #7
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder
 
Aqua Puttana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Falls of Niagara, USA
Posts: 24,852
Thanks: 12,720
Thanked 13,961 Times in 8,874 Posts
Default Re: Power steering out and battery light on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan892008 View Post
Checked the levels and the power steering reservoir seems to be empty! Now to figure out what kind of power steering fluid is needed?

...
Any good quality power steering fluid is fine. ATF4 and ATFIII have been mentioned in various T1N manuals. I have been running Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak in my 2004 for many years/miles now.

With the alternator light on the fluid may have soaked the belt.

vic
__________________
DAD NAS (N. Amer. Spec) 2004 140 2500 >330,000+ mi. Arctic Whitewash Brush-tone Grey
2006 Freightliner 140 2500HC >183,000+ mi. Arctic Whitewash (Spotted Snow Leopard accents)
"My opinion and worth everything you'll never pay for it." assumed.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
Jordan892008 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #8
Jordan892008
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 29
Thanks: 33
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Power steering out and battery light on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Any good quality power steering fluid is fine. ATF4 and ATFIII have been mentioned in various T1N manuals. I have been running Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak in my 2004 for many years/miles now.

With the alternator light on the fluid may have soaked the belt.

vic
Thanks so much for this info. The manual that is linked above mentions using ATF-D, which must be an equivalent of the two you mentioned. Time to hop over to the parts store and get one of these.
Jordan892008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:29 PM   #9
autostaretx
Erratic Member
 
autostaretx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 17,571
Thanks: 3,080
Thanked 7,945 Times in 5,793 Posts
Default Re: Power steering out and battery light on

update: The following was written before seeing the "empty power steering reservoir" posting.

A stalled power steering pump can cause belt damage (or hopping, hence less alternator) too.
---------old message follows------

Yes ... if you lose the serpentine belt:
(a) the alternator stops (hence battery light)
(b) the belt-driven power steering pump stops (hence loss of power steering)
(c) the engine water/coolant pump stops (hence engine will soon overheat and get **really** expensive.)

Possible causes of loss-of-belt:
(1) it simply broke (relatively uncommon)
(2) the "tensioner" (spring-loaded) pulley mechanism failed
(3) the tensioner or any other idler pulley's bearing failed, leading to belt wabble and self-destruction

(2) and (3) are the usual causes of belt failure

Open the hood and *look* ... belt failure can also take out oil and transmission fluid hoses that were going to the radiator.

--dick
__________________
2005 T1N 118" Freightliner 2500 Passenger Wagon (2.7L, 15" tires, standard (short) roof)
Get YOUR Sprinter's full configuration datacard by entering your VIN to https://www.datamb.com/
http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference <-- lots of service documentation, Thanks to Jens Moller and Arnie_Oli
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 06-25-2019 at 03:31 PM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
Jordan892008 (06-25-2019), The Grand Tour (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 03:31 PM   #10
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder
 
Aqua Puttana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Falls of Niagara, USA
Posts: 24,852
Thanks: 12,720
Thanked 13,961 Times in 8,874 Posts
Default Re: Power steering out and battery light on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan892008 View Post
Thanks so much for this info. The manual that is linked above mentions using ATF-D, which must be an equivalent of the two you mentioned. Time to hop over to the parts store and get one of these.
Any good light hydraulic fluid will work. Double check for where your fluid leaked out. Unless you find a hose or rust related leak, I would suggest considering the Lucas product. It will often cure steering rack seal seeping.

vic
__________________
DAD NAS (N. Amer. Spec) 2004 140 2500 >330,000+ mi. Arctic Whitewash Brush-tone Grey
2006 Freightliner 140 2500HC >183,000+ mi. Arctic Whitewash (Spotted Snow Leopard accents)
"My opinion and worth everything you'll never pay for it." assumed.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
Bobnoxious (06-25-2019), Jordan892008 (06-25-2019)

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.