Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > VS30 Sprinters > VS30 4x4 Talk

VS30 4x4 Talk General Discussions related to VS30 4x4 Sprinters.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:06 AM   #161
grantwilson
VanGoOutdoors

Default Re: Dealers tells me 4,000 4x4s will be produced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksotar View Post
both are aftermarket companies where a Van is supplied.. I believe you can buy complete Sprinters from Ilglhaut or bring one to them, I'm guessing Quigly is the same but starting with a 2wd which actually gives them somewhat of an advantage in the ability of designing and building the front wheel drive system...
I am just saying the completed Vans would be a better comparison vs a Quigly Transit/Factory 4x4 Sprinter....
Ingelwhat4ever you have to give them a 2wd also
70k later you have a triple locked 4x4.

So really it is like, are 2 quigleys better than one ingelhasjkhruf

Van Go Outdoor Outfitters - St. Augustine, FL
The ONLY Certified Adventure Wagon dealer and installer in the SouthEast
Authorized Dealer for Dometic, Ripplewear, Tern Overland, Van Compass and more!
www.vangooutdoors.com
www.youtube.com/GrantWilsonFL
www.Instagram.com/SprincentVango
grantwilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:51 AM   #162
IdleUp

Quote:
IdleUp... do you actually own either ?? seeing as there is NO 4x4 Factory Transit, what are you basing your “knowledge” on regarding how good it is ??
just read a lot ??
Boeing says their 737 Max 8 is a fantastic airplane too... I read it online !!!
🙄
perhaps it would be best to actually have one and use it for awhile before boasting how great it is...
I actually own both - My Sprinter is a 2018 4x4 with a Midwest conversion and my Transit is a 19 with a Leisure Travel conversion. Don't get me wrong, I love my Sprinter, I use it for my business and its a driver . The Transit is mostly used for trips and fun. Here's an in depth article I wrote on my Sprinter:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...-mas-9161.html

Enjoy - Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 10.48.39 PM.jpg (56.5 KB, 91 views)
IdleUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:12 AM   #163
aksotar

Then you do indeed have experience with both.. but were both conversions to 4wd ??
MB hasn't really changed anything in their drive system and there is nothing from Ford on exactly what they will do in the Transit, just guesses at this point...
Inghault and Oberainger can modify existing 4wd Sprinters (in Germany) as well as convert 2wd models...
My whole point was a more honest comparison between one of the modded Sprinters and their 4wd performance compared to the Quigley 4wd and it's when both are about the same size and similarly outfitted...
aksotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:17 AM   #164
rolleur

I hope the AWD transit is amazing and everyone else wants one. Maybe then Mercedes dealers will start returning my calls.

While we’re on the topic, when are the transits getting delivered? I guess I could look in the competition thread, but this one is hosed anyway.
rolleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #165
IdleUp

Quote:
Then you do indeed have experience with both.. but were both conversions to 4wd ??
MB hasn't really changed anything in their drive system and there is nothing from Ford on exactly what they will do in the Transit, just guesses at this point...
Inghault and Oberainger can modify existing 4wd Sprinters (in Germany) as well as convert 2wd models...
My whole point was a more honest comparison between one of the modded Sprinters and their 4wd performance compared to the Quigley 4wd and it's when both are about the same size and similarly outfitted...
Thanks for the reply - Only my Sprinter is 4x4. However the new Transit 4x4 or AWD will have about the same chassis I have now with the same ride and sit the same height. The only difference it will weight 640 lb more. You won't even know its 4x4 unless you look at the ID or get stuck.

While the Sprinter 4x4 is a OK system, it's far from perfect, but surely better than a 2WD system. While the Transit won't have a 2 speed gearbox like the Sprinter, 90% of owners never need or use low, unless you're doing off-road and one thing you won't be doing is tagging along any Jeep outings with your 4x4 van.

Regarding engine power and torque, transmission and ride, the Transit is years ahead of the "Dated" Sprinter. By Benz putting a 7 speed gear box in the old Sprinter and calling it "All New" is not going to modernize the van, the tranny should have been in their 5 years ago. The new dash and digital display radio is great but won't make the chassis any better.

Unlike a guy going to town and driving one every week or so to compare the two chassis, I switch mine out daily on these rough slab highways in North Georgia with plenty of mountains. The Transit engine transmission and chassis is far improved over Sprinter. Transit has a wider rear axle track, a better sprung suspension and a 8" longer wheelbase, with 50% less body roll thanks to the fact the Transit uses a low slung chassis designed for easy loading, which is the reason Ford will not raise the chassis.

For 2020, Ford will move another step ahead of its competition and equip the Transit with a new “Quiet” I-4 turbo diesel, developing 210 hp and 369 lbs of torque, and install a new 10 speed transmission from the F-150, so Sprinter has some real competition guys, Also the one thing you get that Sprinter can't give you is - ton's of dealers with cheap parts!

Regards Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pair.jpg (149.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg NOSE TO NOSE.jpg (138.8 KB, 90 views)
Old 06-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #166
VanGoSki

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
Thanks for the reply - Only my Sprinter is 4x4. However the new Transit 4x4 or AWD will have about the same chassis I have now with the same ride and sit the same height. The only difference it will weight 640 lb more. You won't even know its 4x4 unless you look at the ID or get stuck.

While the Sprinter 4x4 is a OK system, it's far from perfect, but surely better than a 2WD system. While the Transit won't have a 2 speed gearbox like the Sprinter, 90% of owners never need or use low, unless you're doing off-road and one thing you won't be doing is tagging along any Jeep outings with your 4x4 van.

Regarding engine power and torque, transmission and ride, the Transit is years ahead of the "Dated" Sprinter. By Benz putting a 7 speed gear box in the old Sprinter and calling it "All New" is not going to modernize the van, the tranny should have been in their 5 years ago. The new dash and digital display radio is great but won't make the chassis any better.

Unlike a guy going to town and driving one every week or so to compare the two chassis, I switch mine out daily on these rough slab highways in North Georgia with plenty of mountains. The Transit engine transmission and chassis is far improved over Sprinter. Transit has a wider rear axle track, a better sprung suspension and a 8" longer wheelbase, with 50% less body roll thanks to the fact the Transit uses a low slung chassis designed for easy loading, which is the reason Ford will not raise the chassis.

For 2020, Ford will move another step ahead of its competition and equip the Transit with a new “Quiet” I-4 turbo diesel, developing 210 hp and 369 lbs of torque, and install a new 10 speed transmission from the F-150, so Sprinter has some real competition guys, Also the one thing you get that Sprinter can't give you is - ton's of dealers with cheap parts!

Regards Mike
Would you recommend a 4x4 Sprinter for the "10%" of us who do go off-road? (I actually think the number is much higher.) A low-slung chassis and omission of the low gear range on the Transit sounds exactly the opposite of what I want. I've heard mixed-reviews on the Quigley Transits both in terms of handling as well as gas mileage.

I actually haven't purchased either yet so I have an open mind, and appreciate your thoughts.
VanGoSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #167
gltrimble

Default Dealers tells me 4,000 4x4s will be produced...

Forum member tagging along on a recent Jeep outing.

https://youtu.be/Wg5g89RVKdE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by gltrimble; 06-06-2019 at 03:50 PM.
gltrimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #168
IdleUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGoSki View Post
Would you recommend a 4x4 Sprinter for the "10%" of us who do go off-road? (I actually think the number is much higher.) A low-slung chassis and omission of the low gear range on the Transit sounds exactly the opposite of what I want. I've heard mixed-reviews on the Quigley Transits both in terms of handling as well as gas mileage.

I actually haven't purchased either yet so I have an open mind, and appreciate your thoughts.
If your set on a van rather than a truck, the Sprinter is going to be you best option if you want to get off the road and explore. It has higher overall clearance than Transit's low slung design, high profile tires, which gives you some more clearance and a 4" factory lift, which adds up to an advantage for any off the road activities. The Sprinter's 2 speed gear box is also an advantage since it can provide major torque at very low speeds for slow steep climbing, pulling a friend out of mud, a stuck trailer or a boat up a ramp. Another Sprinter asset is there is hundreds of after-market chassis options like plates and upgraded suspension parts, etc.

On the other hand the Transit's 4x4 or AWD system is more designed as an all weather feature for Georgia clay, snow or ice, rather than off road. As you look at the image below, the Sprinter also has a higher angle of attack on the nose as well for better entry.

Regards - Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NOSE TO NOSE.jpg (138.8 KB, 89 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to IdleUp For This Useful Post:
VanGoSki (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #169
IdleUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gltrimble View Post
Forum member tagging along on a recent Jeep outing.

https://youtu.be/Wg5g89RVKdE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sort of funny watching the Sprinter bounce around but impressive. Got all the Jeep guys shooting pictures didn't it LOL
Old 06-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #170
Flagster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGoSki View Post

Quigley (at least historically) uses proprietary/unique parts that can't be bought over the shelf...please correct me if I am wrong...brackets/spacers...etc
I would prefer stock oem parts when something breaks in the backcountry. Even in S. UT a Mercedes dealer is only a half days drive away to retrieve parts/tow...
Flagster is offline   Reply With Quote