Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > VS30 Sprinters > VS30 Talk

VS30 Talk General Discussions related to VS30 W907 Sprinters.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:57 PM   #21
Gski

Default Re: ordering decisions.... MBUX or no MBUX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notfamous View Post
Just a heads up. The speakers are small so the audio experience in the VS30 is a good bit underwhelming for me. This is my first sprinter but the stock Wrangler sound system sounds way better than the 2 (maybe a 3rd in the center dash?) setup this thing has. I will be upgrading...I just don't know if anyone has done it yet or if the MBUX will detect a change in the speakers (apparently newer systems know when a speaker has changed or been replaced).

There are definitely three speakers, but most of the sound is being reflected off the windshield by a automotive-grade dash speaker.

The door speakers look much bigger, but until I find a way to tweak the balance to use them, it is hard to say how they sound.
Gski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:32 AM   #22
Notfamous

Yeah the door panels look like 5 1\4. There may be tweeters in the corners of the dash. The center speaker is supposed to be for the voice assist to come through over the audio but I feel like everything is dominantly being funneled through that center dash speaker.

Also, I looked under the driver seat. I found my psm wiring and possibly part of the MBUX system. There was a box with "Bluetooth" on it. Possibly may also be the amp. If so, this could make speaker upgrades easy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Notfamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #23
cacaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
... the XM4 acoustic package (anyone know what this is?)....
I'm wondering the same. At only $82, I'm imagining (and hoping) that it's additional insulation behind the panelling.
cacaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #24
Davydd

Advanced RV upgrades the cab speakers in the NC3V vans but they said the MBUX speakers are upgraded already and there is not much benefit to upgrade further. I’m taking their word for it and I don’t think it matters with my degraded hearing range anyway. I quiter cab would help more for me.
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #25
Notfamous

Guys the vans with the acoustic package are very quiet. Sure going with a full panel conversion will improve it but I was pleasantly surprised what that xm4 did. I will pull a couple liners out and post pics this week.

The Following User Says Thank You to Notfamous For This Useful Post:
Sctn (05-26-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #26
Gski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notfamous View Post
Yeah the door panels look like 5 1\4. There may be tweeters in the corners of the dash. The center speaker is supposed to be for the voice assist to come through over the audio but I feel like everything is dominantly being funneled through that center dash speaker.

I did a quick check of mine: the sound is 90% from the dash centre speaker. The audio controls have a left/right balance, but it has little effect as the centre speaker dominates. There are no other audio controls that were immediately obvious.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #27
Notfamous

I basically set the bass to +10, dropped the mids to -8 and dropped the highs to -6. This will require you to use a little more volume but it sounds a little better.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:57 AM   #28
sulkorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gski View Post
In Canada, Apple CarPlay and Android SuperShare are both pre-licensed with no expiry date.

CarPlay works quite well, except that the audio sounds exactly like a traditional OEM stereo system. You can easily identify the song that’s playing, so the sound quality is better than some. The phone audio quality is good: the other person can clearly hear that you are talking from inside a bare metal box. (And yes, insulating and covering the walls/roof just jumped to the top of the priority list, go figure.)

I love the 360 camera for parking and the ability to get google maps on the big display, so I would still recommend MBUX.

As a new owner, the ability to use MBUX to quickly tweak vehicle settings at a red light is a huge asset. This will probably be less useful after a week of ownership.

For music, my original plan is unchanged: a bluetooth speaker system powered/recharged by usb C, attached to the house battery not the starter battery.
I am in Canada, and I currently do not have Carplay/Android Auto.

You mention yours was activated already? I may have to go into the dealership to see if they can do the same with mine.
sulkorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:56 AM   #29
Gski

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkorp View Post
I am in Canada, and I currently do not have Carplay/Android Auto.

You mention yours was activated already? I may have to go into the dealership to see if they can do the same with mine.

If you dig around in settings, you will find a licensing page with details for various options like CarPlay.

Carplay wasn’t visible anywhere but the license page until I connected my phone to the right usb port. After a few set up steps, the ‘apps’ page was no longer empty.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:39 AM   #30
GLJones

Ordered the 10.5" MBUX in our passenger van that will be built on July 30. I went with it mostly for the 360 degree camera view when parking at loading docks and Google Maps right on the dash. CarPlay is a great bonus. Since very few 2019s are at dealers, especially ones with MBUX, I have yet to hear the audio system.
GLJones is offline   Reply With Quote