Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
TROLL
2007 Winnebago View 23H

Default P0740 Error Code and Rumble Strip Noise after flat towing Jeep up steep grade

Earlier this year I purchased an 06 Sprinter (07 Winnebago View, actually).
The transmission was replaced roughly 40k miles ago with a rebuilt unit by Silver Star Transmissions. It drove well, although during the pre-purchase inspection the experienced tech could tell it had been rebuilt and was not an OEM unit due to some vibration he felt. It was subtle though and I never really noticed much.

Fast forward 6 months and I just hit the road, with a one-time flat tow of my 97 Wrangler from FL to CO. The route is mostly flat, except for a 6% grade over a pass in TN where I was maintaining about 45 mph over a 2300' rise in elevation.
Shortly after this climb I got a CEL with a P0740 error code and also noticed for the first time a "rumble strip noise" at a couple different spots in my driving. If I left off the gas or press the gas pedal in more it goes away usually. At one point it resonates very badly with what I think is the factory jack and makes a very loud rattling noise, but other times it just really does sound like I'm driving over the rumble strip on the side of the road.

I continued my drive to CO which was mostly drama free, except for the rumble strip noise and the CEL on the dash. I have not reset the codes yet, waiting to decide what my next move is. I do hope to continue driving this cross country though and want to try and avoid being stranded in the middle of nowhere! I do not plan to flat tow any more, but I do plan to drive in and out of mountain passes.

Not finding a whole ton of info on the P0740 code or what if any action I should take so figured I'd start a thread here and see if anyone had experience with this.

(Also have a recurring glow plug P0380 and P0671, and a new 02 sensor P2A00 code, but I don't believe any of these would be related).

Thanks!
Bryan

Last edited by TROLL; 02-03-2019 at 06:03 PM.
TROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
Cheyenne
UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,042 Posts
Default Re: P0740 Error Code and Rumble Strip Noise after flat towing Jeep up steep grade

Your P0740 code translates as 'Torque Converter Clutch Circuit/Open' so it may be time for a trans service as a starter unless anyone else knows more.

Keith.

Sprinter reference info site http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
Cheyenne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:44 PM   #3
lindenengineering

Thanked 9,693 Times in 4,968 Posts
Default Re: P0740 Error Code and Rumble Strip Noise after flat towing Jeep up steep grade

Most likely the torques converter solenoid is out, maybe the gallery pressure control solenoids as well!
A scan interrogation will show up what is working and what is not including pressures by looking at clutch pack fill time operation.
Dennis
lindenengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
The Grand Tour (02-04-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #4
NBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
The transmission was replaced roughly 40k miles ago with a rebuilt unit by Silver Star Transmissions.
Say no more. There is no such thing as a correctly rebuilt transmission. They are too complicated to rebuild in the aftermarket, and impossible without the full specs and tolerances and manufacturing procedures - which no OEM will provide to a re-builder - or anyone else.

Take good care of your OEM unit. If it fails, get rid of the entire vehicle, IMO.
NBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:09 PM   #5
ptheland
2013 144" low top Passgr

Are you still in Colorado? Dennis (Lindenengineering above) has his shop in the Denver area.

2013 144" wheelbase, low roof passenger, with wheelchair lift in side door (soon operational, but not yet cosmetic)
ptheland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ptheland For This Useful Post:
The Grand Tour (02-04-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #6
TROLL
2007 Winnebago View 23H

Yes, in Lakewood, CO -- will have to send a message, thanks!
Old 05-23-2019, 05:13 PM   #7
Green_Hornet

Bryan - what became of this? Thx ~
Green_Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
TROLL
2007 Winnebago View 23H

I took the vehicle to Linden in order to get the transmission codes so I had more info -- they scanned the vehicle and drove it and based on their diagnosis they recommended replacing one solenoid and the main board, plus a fluid change in the process. Labor was $450 and parts were about $750. Unfortunately I didn't get the actual transmission codes from them which kind of defeated the purpose of my trip, but I didn't specifically ask for them before I left so I'll take responsibility there.

I haven't done anything as I shifted my focus to a coolant loss issue that has led me deep into a head gasket change and head repair. Before I started that I had the vehicle at the MB dealer and they scanned and I guess cleared my codes. The tech said he didn't notice any vibration from the transmission. When I got the vehicle back the codes were cleared and I don't notice any vibration from the transmission either. Strange... but at this point I plan to do a fluid change because its about due, and hopefully the vibration and CEL won't come back. They probably will though, and I'll just have to address it when they do.